Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Aftermarket or Hacked Remote Start - Manual Transmissions

vagabond

Elite Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
CT5-V BW Stripper Spec
Has anyone put remote start on their manual transmission blackwings? Anyone know of an aftermarket or vehicle control unit hack solution?

The setting to heat the steering wheel or heat/cool the seats based on initial temp is nice. Remote start would be better.

No one should take this as a personal attack; I knew a few people that do this, too, and it just blows my mind: one should never, ever park a manual in neutral. Always keep it in gear, and with GM manuals, preferably in reverse. Having that extra amount of engine compression to help prevent the wheels from turning could be a car (life?) saver.

Just don't do it. If you want a remote start, get an automatic.

I put a remote start in my manual transmission Nissan and Acura. Easy to do and was great to get the car warmed up in the winter.

That said, it requires the driver to be mindful and not put it in gear and accept the consequences if it is.

I forgot one time, but it wasn't a big deal. The ebrake kept it from going anywhere and the engine immediately stalled.

That system that @SS_Shooter mentioned looks like a nice solution. I may look into it if I move back up North.

Last edited:
No one should take this as a personal attack; I knew a few people that do this, too, and it just blows my mind: one should never, ever park a manual in neutral. Always keep it in gear, and with GM manuals, preferably in reverse. Having that extra amount of engine compression to help prevent the wheels from turning could be a car (life?) saver.

Just don't do it. If you want a remote start, get an automatic.
I just couldn’t do it. I’ve been driving MTs far too many years and out of muscle memory always leave it in 1st when I exit. I imagine if I tried to remote start I would do some damage to my car and my garage without a lock out.

I’ve been driving manuals for 20+ years and always leave in neutral with parking brake on a flat surface. Except when parking uphill or downhill, why leave the car in gear?

I’ve been driving manuals for 20+ years and always leave in neutral with parking brake on a flat surface. Except when parking uphill or downhill, why leave the car in gear?
DUDE. Because JVP said not to do it, do you not understand when you see a correct opinion ?

DUDE. Because JVP said not to do it, do you not understand when you see a correct opinion ?

Thanks for the useless snark that missed its target. GM's owners manual say to do it. In every manual transmission equipped car they've made for ... ever? They say to park it in reverse (or first) as well as using the parking brake. Sure there's a certain amount of CYA there on GM's part, but you do you. If you know more than they do, have at it.

Page 213 of the '23 owner's manual
WARNING
If the vehicle has a manual transmission, never get out of the vehicle without first moving the shift lever into 1st or reverse, setting the parking brake, and turning the ignition off. The vehicle can roll which can cause serious injury or death.

But again: you do you.

Thanks for the useless snark that missed its target. GM's owners manual say to do it. In every manual transmission equipped car they've made for ... ever? They say to park it in reverse (or first) as well as using the parking brake. Sure there's a certain amount of CYA there on GM's part, but you do you. If you know more than they do, have at it.

Page 213 of the '23 owner's manual

But again: you do you.
I would never leave my Jeep sitting with just the parking brake, that would be outrageous. When I’m off-roading and I need to get out to check an obstacle or take a piss I shut the engine off so I can leave it in gear.

I've only used the ebrake, except on a hill. To prevent stress on the transmission, I make sure to set the brake before putting into gear.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back