Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

500 Miles - IT'S PARTY TIME!!!! Two acceleration runs with my CT5-V Blackwing six-speed!!

Think he was commenting on the difference in units for one pressure above ambient and one below.
I was. Thought it odd to see a boost gauge in in.Hg until it switched over to positive boost and showed PSI. I got curious and looked around to see that analog boost gauges are generally, in fact, in.Hg below 0 (vacuum) and PSI above 0 (boost).

Reply to post before yours above. I understand but thats a proper boost gauge, psi is not how you measure vacuum. Boost you do measure in psi/bar.

Reply to post before yours above. I understand but thats a proper boost gauge, psi is not how you measure vacuum. Boost you do measure in psi/bar.
The actual answer to this question is kind of a historical convenience thing. When you’re working near true vacuum pressures, you end up with psi readings of 0.0003 or stupid things like that, vs 1 or 2 inches of Hg. Engineers don’t like lots of zeroes on their units, because it leads to human transcription errors. So space applications and good vacuum pumps led to inches of Mercury, and the standard stuck.

I don’t think it makes a lot of sense when we are never pulling that hard of a vacuum in a car, but history wins!

The actual answer to this question is kind of a historical convenience thing. When you’re working near true vacuum pressures, you end up with psi readings of 0.0003 or stupid things like that, vs 1 or 2 inches of Hg. Engineers don’t like lots of zeroes on their units, because it leads to human transcription errors. So space applications and good vacuum pumps led to inches of Mercury, and the standard stuck.

I don’t think it makes a lot of sense when we are never pulling that hard of a vacuum in a car, but history wins!
There's always a reason for weird stuff like this, thanks for the info. Lots of "standards" for measuring pressure. I see hPa and bar used a lot as well.

Anyway, does GM still mispell the word gage, or is it gauge now?
Neither gage nor gauge is a misspelling. Both are correct.

However, 'mispell' is a common mistake. :p

Neither gage nor gauge is a misspelling. Both are correct.

However, 'mispell' is a common mistake. :p
Ha, I was wondering what that red squiggly line under mispell was. Anyway, for the longest time GM used the word "gage" everywhere, but they seem to have changed to the more common "gauge". I wonder why they changed?

Check out my video below. It shows the transition of the tachometer at 500 miles to allowing the normal, full 6,500rpm rev range.

Have I mentioned yet, I absolutely love this car?!?!?!

Watch this video to the end. I get a nice, clean 0-151mph run!

I just hit the 500 mile mark and did a similar pull (40-120ish). I've done a couple of pulls since as well. I can only get to 8 lbs. of boost. I see you hit 9 easily and 10 as well.

What would cause me to only get 8 lbs? My best 0-60 so far is 4.4 with a relatively soft launch and a bit of an early 1-2 shift. I can't see any chance of getting sub 3.8. Is it just the altitude? I'm at like 4700 ft. Any ideas?

I just hit the 500 mile mark and did a similar pull (40-120ish). I've done a couple of pulls since as well. I can only get to 8 lbs. of boost. I see you hit 9 easily and 10 as well.

What would cause me to only get 8 lbs? My best 0-60 so far is 4.4 with a relatively soft launch and a bit of an early 1-2 shift. I can't see any chance of getting sub 3.8. Is it just the altitude? I'm at like 4700 ft. Any ideas?
Possibly an air pocket in the intercooler system that needs to be bled out?

Higher altitude will result in less boost from a supercharged application all things equal. I'm a CPA, so I can't give you a technical answer, but it is a real thing. :D

Here's a graph of atmospheric pressure over elevation. It's not the whole story, because the pressure drop is not as smooth at the surface (i.e., on the ground in Denver at ~5,000 feet will not be the same as 5,000 feet in the air over the ocean) and the temperature and humidity also play a role.
1632158736105.png

Bottom line, density altitude is probably what really matters- and on a hot, humid, summer day in the mountain west can easily exceed 7500' in places that are only physically 3-4,000' above sea level.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back