Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

4BW 6MT 1-2 shifts

DS0226

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT4 V BW 6MT
Anybody else have issues with the 1-2 shift on a 4BW 6MT? I've noticed on mine the 1-2 shift is very notchy and sometimes will not go into 2nd at all. The 5-6 shift is similar but not as bad. I've scheduled service at the dealer to get it looked at. Might just be a linkage adjustment?

Many of the 2016 through 2019 ATS-V M6 cars had the same notchy second gear issue. My 2018 ATS-V had this problem, since the very first week when it was brand new. Sometimes when cold, it was nearly impossible to get into second gear. The dealer was unable to reproduce the problem over several visits and eventually told me it was 'normal'.

Thanks for the feedback! So I'm not totally loosing my mind but should have my expectations in line with the dealer service thing. It is worse cold. I can get used to it, but a bit of a disappointment since the MT6 is a big reason I bought this car. Still totally dig this car so far! Very much worth the wait. IMHO, it's a brilliant piece!

I completely agree. If this is the worst bug the car has, I'm still happy to own it.

Mine is difficult to shift for the first couple of miles of driving in Michigan winter weather. I am waiting for consistently warmer temps to determine if trip to dealer is necessary. Honestly, after the first couple of stiff gear changes, my attention always shifts to watching the oil temp rise in anticipation of upcoming fun.:Steer

I bet this is normal. my 5black wing has a tough time shifting into second when cold. I think it’s gotten better as I’ve put some miles on the car. I would just shift carefully especially when cold and I would personally not to take it to the dealer. But perhaps there’s more to it in your car? But I would doubt it

Definitely noticed this when I first got this car, but it really seems to have gotten better over time. I remember a few situations where I missed 1st to 2nd because it was too notchy, but it doesn't seem to be an issue at all anymore. I have almost 10k miles on the car now.

This has been a known issue of the TR6060 for a long time. The only car that I had with the TR6060 in the past was my 2017 Chevy SS, and it did it. It has something to do with the triple synchros on 2nd gear. The shifter will kind of go into gear, but it doesn't really make it all the way through the synchros and grinds.

I found a real fix years ago, written up for the Shelby GT500, but it requires a rebuild, so no thanks. After you have 1000-2000 miles on the car, change the transmission fluid, and it will get much better. Let's also praise the lord they didn't put skip shift on these cars like every other GM 6 speed ever made, ha.

My previous Shelby GT350 also comes with the same Tremec, and 2nd gear can be notchy once in a blue moon, but it was pretty much gone or unnoticeable in time.

Be happy you don't have the prior generation Corvette skip shift!

Thanks for the info all! I'll be cancelling my appointment for service. I put a few hundred miles on the car yesterday and the shifting is livable. This car really is fantastic!

This has been a known issue of the TR6060 for a long time. The only car that I had with the TR6060 in the past was my 2017 Chevy SS, and it did it. It has something to do with the triple synchros on 2nd gear. The shifter will kind of go into gear, but it doesn't really make it all the way through the synchros and grinds.

I found a real fix years ago, written up for the Shelby GT500, but it requires a rebuild, so no thanks. After you have 1000-2000 miles on the car, change the transmission fluid, and it will get much better. Let's also praise the lord they didn't put skip shift on these cars like every other GM 6 speed ever made, ha.
Came here to say this.

Is there a recommended transmission fluid for the TR6060?

(Not what's in the manual, but according to the internet experts that have tried them all.)

I did a bunch of research years ago, so I have obviously forgotten all the nuance I found, but I do know I landed on the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. It meets the GM required spec, and it smoothed out 1-2 cold shifts, for sure.

I did a bunch of research years ago, so I have obviously forgotten all the nuance I found, but I do know I landed on the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. It meets the GM required spec, and it smoothed out 1-2 cold shifts, for sure.
Did you come across any Amsoil fluids?

Amsoil is Avon/Mary Kay for men, they might have good products, but the MLM-style nature of the business really is a turn off.
😂 I've never heard of it referred to like that! Interesting. Never did try it out due to it being expensive + shipping costs.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back