Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

4 BW vs SS

ask him how many miles he has on his "first delivery in the nation" 5BW, and how many miles he has on his commoner 4BW and that should tell you the answer to your question.

But is it because he cherishes his 5BW so much more than the 4BW that he's preserving it, or does he enjoy driving the 4BW so much more than the 5BW that he can't help it?

Well shit, you are calling me out on this! I loved my SS before I started messing with it but afterwards not so much... The 4BW is a far superior car than the SS in many ways (IMHO) except sound and a little faster (OEM)... The 4BW drives like its on rails and is just fun to drive around town in traffic, like driving a bad ass go cart on the street... The 5 BW is a luxury beast with more power than one really needs on the street, and it just sounds awesome......

If someone took my 5BW at gunpoint would the 4BW be enough car to replace the SS??? Yes it would for ME, but that's hard to say for anyone else... I'm getting older and wiser, well, maybe not wiser, but I could be happy with it, but hey, I also like thick girls too so there is that....

My soul would be ok..........

Wait, I don't have to worry about that because I have both........lol.... I only have both because I have nothing else....
.... wait, hold on a sec...🤔
... @Tall Steve has a soul?

200w (8).gif

Took delivery of the 4VBW with a 6MT last week. Owned a ‘17 SS 6MT, black, sunroof and full size spare, according to GM it was one of 185 optioned that way that year. Loved the rarity and driving something that only those who knew, knew. I get that same kinda feeling with the BW. Most won’t know but those who do know they’re badass.

The LF4 has an NA like quality, near imperceptible turbo lag. Pulls like a freight train all the way to red line, gear box is amazing. The pedal box is better along with the pedals. Easier to heel toe for me. The biggest difference is the clutch. The 4 is butter compared to the nonlinear clutch of the SS and isn’t nearly as heavy.

Nothing can replace the sound of the LS3 (Elessthree) but the 4 is one of the best sounding v6 I’ve heard…but it’s not loud enough from the cabin.

Driving dynamics - it’s like a next gen SS, better in every way but kinda feels like an evolution. Next gen mag ride reduces body roll and the turn in is insanely good. The front end is so compliant, you can toss the 4 around and flog the shit out of it and it will want more.

To answer the question…it is more than enough to replace the SS while still giving you that feeling of rare and special. If I still owned the SS and drove the 4 I would immediately trade it in. Size and space are non issues for me. Can’t think of a more fun car to drive.

Took delivery of the 4VBW with a 6MT last week. Owned a ‘17 SS 6MT, black, sunroof and full size spare, according to GM it was one of 185 optioned that way that year. Loved the rarity and driving something that only those who knew, knew. I get that same kinda feeling with the BW. Most won’t know but those who do know they’re badass.

The LF4 has an NA like quality, near imperceptible turbo lag. Pulls like a freight train all the way to red line, gear box is amazing. The pedal box is better along with the pedals. Easier to heel toe for me. The biggest difference is the clutch. The 4 is butter compared to the nonlinear clutch of the SS and isn’t nearly as heavy.

Nothing can replace the sound of the LS3 (Elessthree) but the 4 is one of the best sounding v6 I’ve heard…but it’s not loud enough from the cabin.

Driving dynamics - it’s like a next gen SS, better in every way but kinda feels like an evolution. Next gen mag ride reduces body roll and the turn in is insanely good. The front end is so compliant, you can toss the 4 around and flog the shit out of it and it will want more.

To answer the question…it is more than enough to replace the SS while still giving you that feeling of rare and special. If I still owned the SS and drove the 4 I would immediately trade it in. Size and space are non issues for me. Can’t think of a more fun car to drive.
Thanks for the thoughtful response. Swapping the lighter clutch spring went a long way for me in the SS but can't do anything about the size and older gen mag ride! If it were for a track car I think it would be an easy decision

But is it because he cherishes his 5BW so much more than the 4BW that he's preserving it, or does he enjoy driving the 4BW so much more than the 5BW that he can't help it?
no no no... he is scerd of the bald eagles... and he kinda loves driving the 4BW

View attachment 11477
Yes he does, He has taken everything else from me here, don't take this one thing from me... I am the only one without a soul.

Thanks for the thoughtful response. Swapping the lighter clutch spring went a long way for me in the SS but can't do anything about the size and older gen mag ride! If it were for a track car I think it would be an easy decision
Totally get that, 4 is not as functional but better in all metrics except space, noise and price. It’s a tough call, the SS is great whip and awesome sleeper. I don’t know what the BW experience is worth in terms of dollars but it’s a small club just like the SS but it gets to be the last of the ICE Cadillacs and probably the best ever made.

Both.....

View attachment 11477
Yes, I'm a child of god! Hello!!!!!
No, if he's to be believed, he sold his soul for 2 Blackwings.
No, I sold a kidney and a body part to be named later...
no no no... he is scerd of the bald eagles... and he kinda loves driving the 4BW

Yes he does, He has taken everything else from me here, don't take this one thing from me... I am the only one without a soul.
I do like my 4 a lot, ok, and I'm a littler scared of the 5..

I've got your back brother, you are like a red headed step son to me!

Well said!

I had a G8 GXP Manual and a gen 1 CTS-V so not exactly an SS but similar...recipes? I now have a CT4-BW and the feeling is totally different. To me the BW is a GM sedan in the spirit of the very best European sports sedans where the G8 and CTS (and the SS I test drove) like muscle cars. I'd imagine the CT5-BW feels like an evolution of the GM muscle car formula and less European feeling like the CT4 feels to me. You can feel the weight in the V8 sedans but the turn in on this car is...possibly...sharper but at least as sharp as the Mitsubishi Evo 8 it shares garage space with...and the ride is 200 times better than the Evo, the SS, and CTS-V. I realize none of those have magna-ride, but somehow GM has hidden the mass.

And the engine...it really is great. I'm not sure why everyone is so focused on it not being a V8. Even though GM is maybe "THE V8 Company,"GM is famous for really good 6s too...ask any Grand National, SyTY owner. or 3800 owner. This engine is smooth and never feels out caught out...at least to me.

The CT4-V Blackwing's biggest problem is the CT5-V Blackwing. Maybe GM shouldn't have launched them at the same time. Maybe they should have been prices further apart? The car is amazing but is stuck in the shadow of the 5, a problem the M3 doesn't have with the M5. And this car is as good as M3 where it counts.

Last edited:
the turn in on this car is...possibly...sharper but at least as sharp as the Mitsubishi Evo 8 it shares garage space with
I drove an Evo VIII for 6 years. Still waiting on my 4BW to be built (TPW was 08/08). Haven't driven one yet. Your statement above is making me excited. The Evo's steering was straight-up sublime.

The CT4-V Blackwing's biggest problem is the CT5-V Blackwing. Maybe GM shouldn't have launched them at the same time. Maybe they should have been prices further apart? The car is amazing but is stuck in the shadow of the 5, a problem the M3 doesn't have with the M5. And this car is as good as M3 where it counts.

Yeah, we had a conversation about this going in the Media Dumps thread:

My biggest issue is that EVERY SINGLE REVIEW compares the 4BW to the 5BW.

When I read M3 reviews, they don't start out by listing all the ways the M3 is inferior to the M5. Instead, the talk about all the ways it is better than the actual competition. And all the ways it is worse than prior M3s even though it is faster, LOL.

But even though people are making these unwarranted 4BW vs 5BW comparisons, a lot of the big names are saying they would take the 4 over the 5. Matt Farah and Jason Cammisa come to mind immediately. Both also say the 4BW is better than the M3.

I recently traded my 2015 Red Hot 2 6mt SS for a slightly used 2022 4v BW in the matte green paint and have not looked back. I do miss the SS BUT the fun-factor of the BW really can't be beat. Maybe I'll get another SS...who knows -

I drove an Evo VIII for 6 years. Still waiting on my 4BW to be built (TPW was 08/08). Haven't driven one yet. Your statement above is making me excited. The Evo's steering was straight-up sublime.

You're gonna like the 4 Blackwing then - or almost anything on the GM Alpha chassis. It doesn't have the feel of the EVO...nothing does really. The EVO feels like braille transcription though the steering wheel. But the Blackwing has the bite and turn in like an EVO except I think I can even carry more speed but with less drama

You didn't happen to buy your car from me in Charlotte, did you? I had the exact same car, and sold it to someone from Michigan in 2019.

I bought from a dealership in Charlotte and drove it back to Michigan in March of ‘19. Was told the previous owner traded the SS to buy a Stinger GT. Had about 4K miles on it with carbon fiber bow ties

I bought from a dealership in Charlotte and drove it back to Michigan in March of ‘19. Was told the previous owner traded the SS to buy a Stinger GT. Had about 4K miles on it with carbon fiber bow ties
Wow, similar, but different. I Sold it directly to an individual that drove it back to Michigan, and I definitely didn't buy a Kia Stinger...just to set the record straight, ha.

I concur with most of the thoughts from the other posts. I had a 2017 6MT, I loved it but my wife hated the manual. I ended up "upgrading" to an M2Comp. Then I saw the video from Savagegeese – “Cadillac CT4V Blackwing | GM Has a Soul.” I decided that I needed to capture “Lighting in a Bottle” one more time.

I don’t miss the chrome or the 13MPG. I do miss the suede ‘SS’ dash and the engine sound.

The transmission, clutch, front seats, center console, and adjustable “V” settings make the Cadillac a great performance cruiser and track weapon. The Chevy SS is more of a sleeper “Muscle Car”. The CT5-V is better at the drag strip. But the CT5-V might come is at twice the MSRP than the Chevy SS.

You can’t go wrong which every way you want to go – Chevy SS, or whichever Caddy you can actually grab.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back