Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

4 BW Oil filter question

Smoky

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Hi all

I'm trying to sort out which is the proper oil filter for my 2022 4BW.

I've searched here and elsewhere and am seeing conflicting info, especially when I actually try to buy one.

The OEM recommended filter (as far as I can tell) as of 7/12/23 is the PF63.

BUT there are discussions in our forums about this 2019 service bulletin that we should switch to the UPF63R even though that bulletin doesn't specifically mention the CT4V. The idea is that the LF4 engine is included in the family of engines mentioned in that SB, or so I've read.

So then if I try to purchase the UPF63R there are zero retailers that recommend the UPF63R for the CTV4. Every one of them says "does not fit your car."

Now, I get that those databases are likely outdated. And I don't trust the aptitude of dealer parts departments to provide the latest information either, so I don't feel like I can just ask my dealer either.

So I'm here looking for the "final word" from the community. As of July 2023 are we using the PF63 or the UPF63R?

IF we are still using the PF63, are we using the newer PF63E or the older classic core PF63?

Thanks!

Hi all

I'm trying to sort out which is the proper oil filter for my 2022 4BW.

I've searched here and elsewhere and am seeing conflicting info, especially when I actually try to buy one.

The OEM recommended filter (as far as I can tell) as of 7/12/23 is the PF63.

BUT there are discussions in our forums about this 2019 service bulletin that we should switch to the UPF63R even though that bulletin doesn't specifically mention the CT4V. The idea is that the LF4 engine is included in the family of engines mentioned in that SB, or so I've read.

So then if I try to purchase the UPF63R there are zero retailers that recommend the UPF63R for the CTV4. Every one of them says "does not fit your car."

Now, I get that those databases are likely outdated. And I don't trust the aptitude of dealer parts departments to provide the latest information either, so I don't feel like I can just ask my dealer either.

So I'm here looking for the "final word" from the community. As of July 2023 are we using the PF63 or the UPF63R?

IF we are still using the PF63, are we using the newer PF63E or the older classic core PF63?

Thanks!
The UPF63R is the higher performance/quality version of the AC Delco PF63 filter. It does fit our LF4s. Think of the UPF version as the XP line from Wix or the Gold version of a Napa filter, all of which are noticeably more robust when compared side by side to their standard filters. It is the only filter I have used on mine. Buy a bunch from Rockauto and the unit price is the best around.

The current PF63 is the one you want, part# 12707246

The PF63E is actually not newer, its been discontinued, it was implemented as a fix for the older, original PF63 (part# 89017525). AC Delco revamped their filter line, discontinued the PF63E, issued a new part # for the PF63, and that is the current state of the world.

The UPF63R is a viable option if you feel you need a higher bypass pressure. As far as construction differences, the UPF has a perforated metal liner and the PF has a plastic liner. Also, the PF has more inlet holes and they are of a substantially different design than the UPF. Both have a rubber gasket and rubber anti-drainback valve. The body metal of the UPF is a bit thicker but both are rated to something like 250+psi burst pressure.

Its tough to nail down specific performance but UPF says it can filter 98% of particulates down to 25-30 microns and the PF63 just says it filters down to 30 microns. Its also worth noting that according to some Youtube vids that deep dive oil filters, the PF63 has about 20sq. in. more filter area than the UPF63.

I dont track my car so for me and mine, Ill run the PF63 until a used oil analysis says otherwise.

This is from mid 2021 showing why you want the new PF63

1689173903652.png

1689173923330.png

Last edited:
Hello Smoky, glad to have you on the forum.

I have been a CT4V-BW owner since last Aug and I track this vehicle. Therefore, my experience and maintenance needs are much higher than most CT4V-BW owners.

My only source of frustration with the CT4V-BW has been getting information and maintenance performed at GM dealers. Many will not perform maintenance with non-dealer provided parts which means AC/DELCO parts.

I list the issues below:

(1) There is the "muliple parts number" for every part - a GM # and the AC/Delco #.
(2) Getting the actual correct information - is the listed part the correct part for your specific version of the vehicle question. Example: I am still looking for the Front brake pad Anti-Seize lubricant. I went to 2 Cadillac and 1 Chevy dealer. It is a bad part # Bt you need this part o performed a front brake pad replacement per the manual:

1689210255109.png

(3) Products keep changing and there are new replacement parts
(4) The other issue that you should be aware of is that the published specification for parts are a "MINIMUM" replacement parts using AC/DELCO products. That does not mean that you cannot use a better part with the AC/DELCO family or a non AC/DELCO part.

I will use brake fluid as an example. There is the "official" AC/Delco brake fluid part - 19299570. This brake fluid is fine as long are you use the vehicle for street driving or at a "Novice level" - light track use. However, almost everyone is in agreement that for Track use, the brake fluid should be replaced with "Racing" brake fluid such as Castrol SRF Racing brake fluid. But you will not find that guidance in the owner's or service manuals.

Coming back to your oil filter question, the current Cadillac CT4V Service manual calls for an Oil Filter replacement using 12707246 - PF63. The same manual calls for 5W-30 19293000 OIL. But we know that the new guidance is to use the new DEXOS R - Mobil 1 Super Car oil.

Like I said, it is very frustrating and confusing for owners.

Below are the parts that I am using:

1689211209464.jpeg
IMG_2090.JPG

They are higher spec/more expensive than the Service manual calls for. However, since they are going into my $80K car, I would rather spend $25 more in parts for an oil change. I am also changing the oil about every 2500 miles.

Attachments

• Mobil 1™ Supercar 0W-40.pdf
    526.4 KB · Views: 96
Filter Part # 12731742 replaced part# 12707246. My cadillac dealer used the 12731742 when I had my oil changed recently.

Filter Part # 12731742 replaced part# 12707246. My cadillac dealer used the 12731742 when I had my oil changed recently.

Thats...strange. That part number only shows up on 2 wholesale parts suppliers and both list it as a special order item.

AC Delco and gmparts.com dont even acknowledge that part exists, neither does Rock Auto

Yes, confusion continues. The brake pad procedure references the use of the anti-seize compound and notes to check the Lubricant Sheet.

1689259310721.png

But the Lubricant sheet has bad info.

@jodakid69 I wasn't able to make the V-Club Tech Talk last night with Brembro, but watched it this morning and didn't see your anti-seize part mentioned or asked about, so I e-mailed Ryan Bates who will forward the question along to Ben at Brembro and hopefully have an answer for you.

As for the brake fluid, Ben said that some "race fluids" are "too corrosive" for cars that's aren't purely track vehicles and can damage ABS systems, brake lines, etc. He DID recommend changing your fluid to Brembro LCF 600+ or to Castrol SRF if you plan to track your vehicle above a novice level.

(1) There is the "muliple parts number" for every part - a GM # and the AC/Delco #.
(2) Getting the actual correct information - is the listed part the correct part for your specific version of the vehicle question. Example: I am still looking for the Front brake pad Anti-Seize lubricant. I went to 2 Cadillac and 1 Chevy dealer. It is a bad part # Bt you need this part o performed a front brake pad replacement per the manual:

View attachment 20241

(3) Products keep changing and there are new replacement parts
(4) The other issue that you should be aware of is that the published specification for parts are a "MINIMUM" replacement parts using AC/DELCO products. That does not mean that you cannot use a better part with the AC/DELCO family or a non AC/DELCO part.
@jodakid69 I received this response from Ben at Brembro

"The lubricant he's referring to is a copper paste that is applied to the abutments (ends) of the brake pad backing plate. It's not intended as an anti-seize, but rather to help with brake noise (it decouples the pad from the caliper body).

It used to come in the brake pad kits, but GM had us remove it and now all GM dealers are supposed to stock it.

I have a bunch of 5g tubes that I can send to your club member. Get me his name and address and I'll get some shipped out."

@jodakid69 I received this response from Ben at Brembro

"The lubricant he's referring to is a copper paste that is applied to the abutments (ends) of the brake pad backing plate. It's not intended as an anti-seize, but rather to help with brake noise (it decouples the pad from the caliper body).

It used to come in the brake pad kits, but GM had us remove it and now all GM dealers are supposed to stock it.

I have a bunch of 5g tubes that I can send to your club member. Get me his name and address and I'll get some shipped out."
Thanks for the info

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners