Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

288 Miles and an engine failure

My car's hood had exposed primer on an edge and misaligned hood gap. The body shop was too dumb to know it had PPF(the manager I dropped it off with was fired and left no note). So I get a call that my ceramic coating is being weird to sand on the hood. I then explained it was PPF...he then asked ME how to remove the PPF.
#justgoatthings

I stumbled upon this thread and immediate went (Scooby -Doo) Uh Roh !! My engine is a Crystal motor . After reading the 9 pages of comments......I would be demanding a new vehicle or my money back. That's just me. I did not spend over $100k on a car claiming to be one of the best Cadillac's EVER built and have an engine fail with less than 300 miles. Putting a different engine in by the dealer would not leave me feeling confident. I would demand that my car be sent back to the factory for the work to be done. I don't trust ANY dealership I have ever dealt with. The mechanics (some call them technicians to justify the $175 p/hr labor rate) have no loyalty to their employers around here in NY. Had one service guy tell me that he "hooked me up" by putting nitro-fill in my tires at no cost. I told him that the air we breathe is 78% nitrogen. I have spoken with guys who worked at dealerships and they have told me horror stories of guys f'n up peoples expensive cars and then hiding the screw up. Most don't give a rats ass about the customer and only care about the bottom line.
This story is like going to an expensive steak house and they totally burn your t-bone. The cook comes out and scrapes the charred meat and gives it back to you.
I hope you find a remedy to your complete satisfaction. I personally would be beyond pissed !

I
I stumbled upon this thread and immediate went (Scooby -Doo) Uh Roh !! My engine is a Crystal motor . After reading the 9 pages of comments......I would be demanding a new vehicle or my money back. That's just me. I did not spend over $100k on a car claiming to be one of the best Cadillac's EVER built and have an engine fail with less than 300 miles. Putting a different engine in by the dealer would not leave me feeling confident. I would demand that my car be sent back to the factory for the work to be done. I don't trust ANY dealership I have ever dealt with. The mechanics (some call them technicians to justify the $175 p/hr labor rate) have no loyalty to their employers around here in NY. Had one service guy tell me that he "hooked me up" by putting nitro-fill in my tires at no cost. I told him that the air we breathe is 78% nitrogen. I have spoken with guys who worked at dealerships and they have told me horror stories of guys f'n up peoples expensive cars and then hiding the screw up. Most don't give a rats ass about the customer and only care about the bottom line.
This story is like going to an expensive steak house and they totally burn your t-bone. The cook comes out and scrapes the charred meat and gives it back to you.
I hope you find a remedy to your complete satisfaction. I personally would be beyond pissed !
I understand where you’re coming from with this. I work at a dealership. I’ve seen it happen. That being said I think I have a few more connections at the dealership than the average customer. The technicians you say have no loyalty are the same people who assemble these cars off in Michigan. I would trust the people putting the motor back in my car more than the person who assembled it in the first place since look where that got me. At the end of the day it is what it is. Shit happens and I’m stuck with it. GM is gonna obviously have to step up for the situation they’ve put me in, but the dealership has been nothing but kind to me trying their best to get everything right.

I

I understand where you’re coming from with this. I work at a dealership. I’ve seen it happen. That being said I think I have a few more connections at the dealership than the average customer. The technicians you say have no loyalty are the same people who assemble these cars off in Michigan. I would trust the people putting the motor back in my car more than the person who assembled it in the first place since look where that got me. At the end of the day it is what it is. Shit happens and I’m stuck with it. GM is gonna obviously have to step up for the situation they’ve put me in, but the dealership has been nothing but kind to me trying their best to get everything right.

The way I look at it, it is what it is. You let them fix the car, if it drives right when done and you have no other issues related then so be it, enjoy the car. You will forget about it all soon enough. If you wind up with more issues, then you sell it and move on.

As long as they help compensate for your loss of the use of the vehicle, maybe extend the warranty and throw in some accessory credits then great.

‘‘Twas a rough night last night. Cruising down the freeway at about 70 miles an hour and all of the sudden I hear metallic squeaking from the engine bay. Pretty sure the bearings went on it. 288 miles on the dash and my caddy dealership thinks it’ll probably need a new motor. Hoping it’s something simple and easy but I already know it isn’t.

Back to the goat rodeo. At least my car arrived!

2023 CT5-V Blackwing 6MT
View attachment 13461
dont loose heart....my C7 Vette did the same thing, seemed like a real catastrophy was occuring....turned out to be a bad valve lifter sensor that killed 4 cylinders but only took 4 hours to fix.

dont loose heart....my C7 Vette did the same thing, seemed like a real catastrophy was occuring....turned out to be a bad valve lifter sensor that killed 4 cylinders but only took 4 hours to fix.
If you read more into it it turned out to be a faulty crankshaft not feeding oil to bearings properly just killing the whole motor. New one SHOULD hopefully be in Friday.

I'm kinda in a bad mood recently. I just got done dropping over $11,000 into rebuilding my 1967 Cadillac deVille 's 429 engine. Engine builder has been in business for over 25 years and is highly regarded in his field. All the new parts are working fine EXCEPT, the damned thing leaks oil from the rear main seal WORSE than when I brought it to the guy ! He very much tried to do right by me and had the car up on a lift for over 10 weeks (total) and took the engine out 3-4 times trying to solve the issue. I know he lost alot more money than he was paid, while trying to remedy the leak. Replaced the rear main seals 7-8 times and it still leaks . I've pretty much given up trying to keep the original matching numbers engine and am now looking for someone to put a new LS motor in the car. So much for trying to keep everything original. The side of my house may become a superfund cleanup site for all the oil in the street. Sometimes you just can't win. On the brightside.....the 429 engine will look nice as an $11,000 coffee table once I drain and clean all the oil and get a glass tabletop !

I should potentially take it home today. Been just an absolute goat show with parts ordering and such but I'm really just hoping we're done after this. I'm waiting for an official declaration from GM on why my motor failed, whether it be a burr in the crankshaft channel or bearing clearances, or a bit of both, or a goat died inside my motor. Who knows. We're 3 days away from 30 days and I really don't want to have to lemon the first new car I've ever bought.

I should potentially take it home today. Been just an absolute goat show with parts ordering and such but I'm really just hoping we're done after this. I'm waiting for an official declaration from GM on why my motor failed, whether it be a burr in the crankshaft channel or bearing clearances, or a bit of both, or a goat died inside my motor. Who knows. We're 3 days away from 30 days and I really don't want to have to lemon the first new car I've ever bought.
Any news on how you’re being compensated?

GM stated that I need to get my car back before any form of compensation to start. I guess corporate knows about the situation with my car. At least one, maybe two payments will be made for me and the warranty gets bumped up. I’m trying to push for them to get me a set of all seasons since we’re going into winter time and it’s the only car I’ve got.
Any news on how you’re being compensated?

So far it seems like a fluke. Sorry that it happened, but don't give up! :)

GM stated that I need to get my car back before any form of compensation to start. I guess corporate knows about the situation with my car. At least one, maybe two payments will be made for me and the warranty gets bumped up. I’m trying to push for them to get me a set of all seasons since we’re going into winter time and it’s the only car I’ve got.
I heard the same kinda thing from my dealer, discuss compensation after I get my car fixed. Did you start conversation with gm before?

Put about 100 miles on it today. Feels a little bit lumpy at idle and stutters a little bit at 1-2k RPM accelerating. It is a 6MT and the dealership told me to just give it a bit more gas but after the last engine popped I just have no faith and all the anxiety now.

^Great to hear you've got it back! I am sure it may take some time to feel comfortable with it, maybe a PNW 4BWer can let you drive a couple miles in there to confirm it's all good and/or take your's for a spin to confirm it's A-ok.
Anyways enjoy the march to through break-in and enjoy opening it up when you can :cool:

^Great to hear you've got it back! I am sure it may take some time to feel comfortable with it, maybe a PNW 4BWer can let you drive a couple miles in there to confirm it's all good and/or take your's for a spin to confirm it's A-ok.
Anyways enjoy the march to through break-in and enjoy opening it up when you can :cool:
It's a 5BW so it's impossible to find another around me lol

Put about 100 miles on it today. Feels a little bit lumpy at idle and stutters a little bit at 1-2k RPM accelerating. It is a 6MT and the dealership told me to just give it a bit more gas but after the last engine popped I just have no faith and all the anxiety now.
Glad to hear you are back on the road again. Hopefully it smooths out as you drive it a bit more as the engine breaks in and the ECU dials in all the proper air, fuel and timing parameters. If the 5BW is like the ZL1 the 6MT has a tall first gear and requires a bit more gas but once you are moving it should be pretty smooth and responsive.

Glad to hear you are back on the road again. Hopefully it smooths out as you drive it a bit more as the engine breaks in and the ECU dials in all the proper air, fuel and timing parameters. If the 5BW is like the ZL1 the 6MT has a tall first gear and requires a bit more gas but once you are moving it should be pretty smooth and responsive.
Yeah it’s smooth thru the RPM after I get past that 2k mark and I don’t feel any stuttering. Just freaks me out since the last time it kinda hesitated and sputtered it decided rod bearings weren’t important and left me out of a car for a month.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back