Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

2023 CT5 Blackwing engine failure

The entire thing sucks, hope you receive resolution swiftly!

Morgan built mine too. Per the registry, he only built 7. What? Me worry? 🙄

It's not him or any other builder. We had this discussion before.
Morgan built mine as well, she's very nice and competent I think we are likely to find this is a component issue not assembly issue.

3 week later update— it took Orr Cadillac in Shreveport 5 days to get the car in a bay and pull the oil filter and find metal particulates in it. Told me I need a new engine and the engine is on back order with no idea when one will be made available. Told me they have no loaners available and the car has to be at their shop ten days for them to provide a rental. Cadillac customer care called right afterwards and told me my new engine was pushed to the very front of the line, even before the new cars being built. Fast forward to today and still no engine build or delivery date. Left a message for Cadillac customer care last Wednesday that has gone unreturned.
Hey Man I joined these forums to post with you. Just had my 23 CT5 BW with 10k miles go in the shop with a tick. Turns out I need a new motor due to shavings as well. Service has been fast and great. I don’t have loaner issues but haven’t heard back on engine ETA. Which doesn’t matter much because I don’t want the car back anyway. My state lemon laws in 30 days. I’ve heard GM will try to get you a new car before they write you a check. But it’s absolutely insane we are dealing with this on what’s supposed to be a “ hand built “ motor.

Hey Man I joined these forums to post with you. Just had my 23 CT5 BW with 10k miles go in the shop with a tick. Turns out I need a new motor due to shavings as well. Service has been fast and great. I don’t have loaner issues but haven’t heard back on engine ETA. Which doesn’t matter much because I don’t want the car back anyway. My state lemon laws in 30 days. I’ve heard GM will try to get you a new car before they write you a check. But it’s absolutely insane we are dealing with this on what’s supposed to be a “ hand built “ motor.
Perhaps we should change the oil at 200 miles. If this car has a break in oil, then that might not be recommended.

Perhaps we should change the oil at 200 miles. If this car has a break in oil, then that might not be recommended.
The original poster has the exact same symptoms as my car but I caught it in the extremely early baby ticking phase. I have not heard a clear explanation for our specific failure yet. However most seasoned techs will tell you to change the oil in a fresh car immediately just because of machining particles etc. I will be campaigning for a new car and will have the shop change the oil between the truck and me taking it off the lot just to be safe

The original poster has the exact same symptoms as my car but I caught it in the extremely early baby ticking phase. I have not heard a clear explanation for our specific failure yet. However most seasoned techs will tell you to change the oil in a fresh car immediately just because of machining particles etc. I will be campaigning for a new car and will have the shop change the oil between the truck and me taking it off the lot just to be safe
Check with a GM engineer if you can reach one and ask if there is a break in oil. I know that cars in the past had a break in oil, but I am not sure if our current cars do. Every manufacturer is different.

I do question if jurisdiction falls under Texas or Louisiana, given the car was purchased in Texas but is registered in Louisiana and is being repaired in Louisiana. I have the Louisiana statute open and there is strong language of qualification at 45 days. Texas appears to have similar language at 30 days.
I just posted about this in a similar thread - initiate a buyback directly with GM. Bypass the dealer. They don’t care in this instance and they will not advocate for you, at all. Lemon Laws are for lawyers - you don’t need one.

I have experience with a successful GM buyback on a three year old vehicle. It’s challenging, though doable. There’s plenty of new inventory where they can get you into a new 5BW and make things right, or give you market value for the car.

It's the failure causing the shavings, not the shavings causing the failure. If you see visible shavings or good-sized chunks of metal on the drain plug, you probably have an issue.

It's the failure causing the shavings, not the shavings causing the failure. If you see visible shavings or good-sized chunks of metal on the drain plug, you probably have an issue.
How do we know that it's the failure causing the shavings and not just incompetence in regards to cleaning the engine during the manufacturing process? I agree it is more likely that the failure is causing the shavings.

Opps. Morgan's a young lady. My apologizes.
My stepson's name (that he goes by) is Morgan, and when he was in high school he dated a girl named Morgan.

Their friends referred to them as Morgan-squared.

How do we know that it's the failure causing the shavings and not just incompetence in regards to cleaning the engine during the manufacturing process? I agree it is more likely that the failure is causing the shavings.
Considering how engines are manufactured (sand casting and then machined) it amazes me that there isn't more crap floating through the engine.

In the old days, BMW put lighter break-in oil in all of their engines. I suspect that there was so much pushback from customers PO'd at having to pay for an engine and transmission oil change at 1200 miles that they quick doing it (except on the M cars) and then went to "free" oil changes for the first three years. It's all about perception and the trade-off between long life and warranty claims.

Sorry my man! GM will do you right! Your honestly like very. very lucky because unmodified LT4's other than the coveted "Car and Driver" engines don't fail...exceedingly small numbers.
Yea, not common at all, 26,000+ miles now 5th set of tires, 3rd set of pads, and about to do a 4th set of pads. Hundreds and hundreds of track miles and still runs great.

I'd be interested to know if the build dates of the engines that failed coincide with any days GM was having a strike. Sabotage happens a lot during strikes especially if they drag on.

I'd be interested to know if the build dates of the engines that failed coincide with any days GM was having a strike. Sabotage happens a lot during strikes especially if they drag on.
September - October 2023 are going to be 2024 MY cars and to my knowledge failures have been 2022 MY with one or two 2023 models.

UPDATE: Tomorrow will be 50 days my CT5-V BW has been at the dealer with a failed engine. I went through the BBB lemon claim system and yesterday GM denied my request for buyback or any sort of extra compensation for diminished value. Their response is this does not qualify under the Texas lemon law (hint, it does) and they will continue to proceed through honoring the warranty. They still are unable to provide me with any sort of engine build or ship date, and continue to say the engine is on backorder without any further detail. GM apparently has stopped caring about their customers and their reputation.

Last edited:
UPDATE: Tomorrow will be 50 days my CT5-V BW has been at the dealer with a failed engine. I went through the BBB lemon claim system and yesterday GM denied my request for buyback or any sort of extra compensation for diminished value. Their response is this does not qualify under the Texas lemon law (hint, it does) and they will continue to proceed through honoring the warranty. They still are able to provide me with any sort of engine build or ship date, and continue to say the engine is on backorder without any further detail. GM apparently has stopped caring about their customers and their reputation.
Now that is complete bulls***. Very sorry to hear this.

UPDATE: Tomorrow will be 50 days my CT5-V BW has been at the dealer with a failed engine. I went through the BBB lemon claim system and yesterday GM denied my request for buyback or any sort of extra compensation for diminished value. Their response is this does not qualify under the Texas lemon law (hint, it does) and they will continue to proceed through honoring the warranty. They still are able to provide me with any sort of engine build or ship date, and continue to say the engine is on backorder without any further detail. GM apparently has stopped caring about their customers and their reputation.
I'm not licensed in TX nor do I practice Lemon Law but my understanding is that attorney fees are included in any buyback litigation. Can you get a free consult with a LL attorney?

I'm not licensed in TX nor do I practice Lemon Law but my understanding is that attorney fees are included in any buyback litigation. Can you get a free consult with a LL attorney?

When I went through this with BMW in NC, before I spent any money on lawyer fees, I called the state Attorney General's office and they helpfully provided me with the statutes, which I looked up, read and followed.

Every state is different, but I would certainly start there to see if your understanding of the TX laws are the same as what the helpful person at GM thinks.

Your comment "GM apparently has stopped caring about their customers and their reputation" implies that GM has a reputation to defend. Unfortunately, I think that day has passed and now they only care about saving money and maximizing profits.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back