Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

2023 Brake Upgrades?

WildCPA

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 CT5 V Blackwing
I am new to the vehicle, but I am noticing the brake dust is as bad as my 2021 C8 Z51 was.

One of the first things I did to it was to put on drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic brake pads.

Has anybody done that to your 2023 yet? For comparison I have the supercharged V8 with a 6MT.

Should have optioned the carbon ceramic brakes if you cared about dust. The steels are designed for track use and as a result are gonna dust a lot.

I did not have that choice. I did not order the vehicle.

Only way you're getting less brake dust with the steel setup is to sacrifice stopping power. The brake dust drives me crazy on my supposedly ceramic coated wheels (which still require mechanical agitation to clean) but I want the stopping power so I just deal with it. When/if I replace thus 5BW with the updated version, I'll go with the ceramics (not making it to the track often enough to worry about them being a detriment to my wallet!)

I'd rather live with the dust and keep the stopping power. Mines is a daily driver, so I don't get upset about a little dirt on the wheels if the rest of the car is fairly clean.

Drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads might bring aesthetics that allude to performance and it might reduce dust, but it won't be a performance improvement and won't eliminate dust. GM worked closely with Brembo to create this brake package so short of a full race setup, you're going backwards with aftermarket changes. As others have noted, a ceramic coating will help reduce dust buildup without degrading performance.

I did not have that choice. I did not order the vehicle.
Get your wheels ceramic coated. Most dust won't stick and the stuff that does just sprays off. I ceramic coat all my track wheels and it makes clean up a breeze.

That way you retain the remarkable braking power of OEM. Also...of note, not sure if anyone knows...since the brake feel and warnings are calibrated to the brake option you have, changing pads and rotors could yield...complications.

Should have optioned the carbon ceramic brakes if you cared about dust. The steels are designed for track use and as a result are gonna dust a lot.
That's an expensive option just to keep the dust down. A $100 hand wash at the local detail shop seems like a deal.

It would be great if we could get an answer from GM Engineering on this.

Seems insane that the system would only work correctly with stock rotors/pads. They knew these things would see track time and I doubt GM will continue making brake parts indefinitely.
They don’t make them brembo does & given the same material is used for the Camaro they should be available for a very long time. Even if not the brakes will still work it’s just that they’re specifically calibrated for the pad material on them. All pedal feel is simulated as it’s brake by wire. The algorithm for overheat messages is based on fluid movement & not any sensors. People are running non OEM pads on the c8 & it’s not like the car is spontaneously catching fire or anything.

They don’t make them brembo does & given the same material is used for the Camaro they should be available for a very long time. Even if not the brakes will still work it’s just that they’re specifically calibrated for the pad material on them. All pedal feel is simulated as it’s brake by wire. The algorithm for overheat messages is based on fluid movement & not any sensors. People are running non OEM pads on the c8 & it’s not like the car is spontaneously catching fire or an
I was at SpringMountain 2 weeks ago an a student there said he was running non-OEM pad and was running at Watkins at 150+ without a problem - Castrol SRF fluid. I have these on order,

1685065802299.png

I will report back in late June.

Anything yielding less dust will be a downgrade. I’d recommend ceramic coating your wheels instead as others have said.

Yes, you can put on ceramic pads. It will cut the dust 80%. Ceramic coating the wheels inside and out when you change the pads cuts the dust the next 19%. That last 1% you have to deal with. There are several threads on here with part numbers, pictures of the brake change and recommendations on pad sources. And you won't change your braking distances in street driving any appreciable amount. I used Carbotech 1521s on the Z06 and Powerstop Z26s on the ATS-V. I again used Powerstop on the CT4-V BW. Do read the other threads as they talk about the brake sensor and what you do or don't do with it.

Yes, you can put on ceramic pads. It will cut the dust 80%. Ceramic coating the wheels inside and out when you change the pads cuts the dust the next 19%. That last 1% you have to deal with. There are several threads on here with part numbers, pictures of the brake change and recommendations on pad sources. And you won't change your braking distances in street driving any appreciable amount. I used Carbotech 1521s on the Z06 and Powerstop Z26s on the ATS-V. I again used Powerstop on the CT4-V BW. Do read the other threads as they talk about the brake sensor and what you do or don't do with it.
+1 to this. Emphatically.

I took @pkincy 's advice and put on a set of the Powerstop pads and have been very happy with them. The 80% dust reduction he's talking about is legit. Maybe even more if you aren't super aggressively braking all over the place. Night and day difference over stock.

The Powerstop website does not list a Cadillac option. What pads fit a 2023 BW4?

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back