Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

2018 M2 to 2023 4 BW

1990E30

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT4 V BW
Good morning everyone. 15 months ago, I bought a summit white automatic ct4 BW. After one month of ownership, I gave it to my college student daughter. She is petite and the upgraded seat were perfect for her (according to her). My son really liked it. So i decided to get one for my son. We got rid of his 2018 M2, and bought an electric blue manual that was 900 miles from home. We just got back from the trip last night. It was a quick and wonderful trip. My son is very OCD, and had the front painter taped so we could PPF the car. Thank god the painter tape is almost identical in color to the electric blue. Now I get to drive both auto and manual, since they both live at home. Here are couple of pics.
IMG_1692.jpeg
72221208226__DB996768-C77B-46D1-B47F-4F6E6D551579.jpeg

Thank you.
I don’t think 20 something person wants his photo being displayed for everyone to see. I almost went nuts from constant gear changing throughout the trip. He wanted to break-in the car Properly. I, on the other hand, couldn’t care less about new car break-in.

There is no comparison between the M2 and the Blackwing. I currently own the Blackwing and did own a M2. The Caddie handles, steers, and accelerates better. It has a lower cost of maintenance and is more reliable. What isn't there to like? The brakes on the M2 would last longer than the Blackwing. OK, I found one thing the M2 is better.

we dont need to shit on other cars to feel good about our own. the m2 is one hell of a car and probably saved bmw bmw in the eyes on enthusiasts. the g87 is even better, minus the looks
The G87 M2 is not too bad on the looks department in the wild. We had an extended test drive in it. We just could not get over the 6 speed manual. My son thinks that the BW manual is very close to that of my GT4 and better than the 991.1 gts 7speed manual. I have to agree with my son.

Congrats x2! I'll be on the lookout (for both cars)....I'll be picking mine up in Atlanta this Wednesday and driving it up to NoVA Thursday...

Question - in addition to varying the speed and such what else did you do for break in? Did you do anything WRT the brakes? Its been so long since I purchased a new car I'm not sure if brake pad seat in is necessary...

Question - in addition to varying the speed and such what else did you do for break in? Did you do anything WRT the brakes? Its been so long since I purchased a new car I'm not sure if brake pad seat in is necessary...
I personally don’t think that break in is that important as long s you don’t abuse the car. My son made sure not to go above 80mph. We didn’t vary speed too much. We did lots of rpm changes from 2k-4k. He was changing the gear so much we only averaged 19 mpg for the 900 mile trip. The short time I drove, I did what he wanted since it is his car (even though I paid for it and have the honor of paying the insurance). The benefit of parenthood.

LOL...where do I sign up (for you to be my dad)...I hope you've instructed your offspring well WRT performance driving do's and don't s and caution them to drive within their limits. A performance driving school (such as they qualify for wqith this car) is also likely a good idea. These are very high performance cars for the young...and not saying they aren't up for it...well you get me I imagine...

I'm one who believes that the way a car is driven while new can effect future performance. Perhaps its all in my head...dunnoh. I think varying the revs is a good idea...but I also think reving it a bit - vs more static driving loosens up the engine and gets it primed to rev better down the road. Not any science behind it per se - but from my experience folks comment that my cars seem to rev quicker than others with the same car. etc

I'm also for bedding brakes properly...though don't know if this is needed on a new car vs a pad change.

Thank you for the advice. I was thinking about taking the kids to thermal, California to M school. I have multiple vouchers, thanks to BMW. I heard Spring mountain is prett awesome, as well. We love spending winter in Summerlin hiking Red Rock Canyon. And spring mountain is only 30 minutes from Summerlin.
BTW, enjoy your drive. I will be in the lookout for you. I have never seen a BW, 4 or 5, in NOVA. Maybe you will be my first BW sighting.

Last edited:
we dont need to shit on other cars to feel good about our own. the m2 is one hell of a car and probably saved bmw bmw in the eyes on enthusiasts. the g87 is even better, minus the looks
I am not blasting the M2, all I am saying is the Blackwing is a much better car. Simple as that.

BTW, enjoy your drive. I will be in the lookout for you. I have never seen a BW, 4 or 5, in NOVA. Maybe you will be my first BW sighting.
Thanks...and likewise...but don't blink...

@Roadhawk .....this is from page 231 of the 4 manual. Pretty much the same things we've done for years. There are a few other things, but you don't need to worry until you get home and RTFM. I'd suggest you download the PDF version.

New Vehicle Break-In

Follow these recommended
guidelines during the first
2 414 km (1,500 mi) of driving this
vehicle. Parts have a break-in period
and performance will be better in
the long run.
. Avoid full throttle starts and
abrupt stops.
. Do not exceed 4000 engine rpm.
. Avoid driving at any one
constant speed, fast or slow.
. Do not drive above
129 km/h (80 mph).
. Avoid downshifting to brake or
slow the vehicle when the engine
speed will exceed 4000 rpm.
. Do not let the engine labor.
Never lug the engine in high gear
at low speeds. With a manual
transmission, shift to the next
lower gear. This rule applies at all
times, not just during the
break-in period.
. Do not participate in racing
events, sport driving schools,
or similar activities during this
break-in period.
. Check engine oil with every
refueling and add if necessary.
Oil and fuel consumption may be
higher than normal during the
first 2 414 km (1,500 mi).
. To break in new tires, drive at
moderate speeds and avoid hard
cornering for the first
322 km (200 mi). New tires do
not have maximum traction and
may tend to slip.
. New brake linings also need a
break-in period. Avoid making
hard stops during the first
322 km (200 mi). This is
recommended every time brake
linings are replaced.

@Roadhawk .....this is from page 231 of the 4 manual. Pretty much the same things we've done for years. There are a few other things, but you don't need to worry until you get home and RTFM. I'd suggest you download the PDF version.

New Vehicle Break-In

Follow these recommended
guidelines during the first
2 414 km (1,500 mi) of driving this
vehicle. Parts have a break-in period
and performance will be better in
the long run.
. Avoid full throttle starts and
abrupt stops.
. Do not exceed 4000 engine rpm.
. Avoid driving at any one
constant speed, fast or slow.
. Do not drive above
129 km/h (80 mph).
. Avoid downshifting to brake or
slow the vehicle when the engine
speed will exceed 4000 rpm.
. Do not let the engine labor.
Never lug the engine in high gear
at low speeds. With a manual
transmission, shift to the next
lower gear. This rule applies at all
times, not just during the
break-in period.
. Do not participate in racing
events, sport driving schools,
or similar activities during this
break-in period.
. Check engine oil with every
refueling and add if necessary.
Oil and fuel consumption may be
higher than normal during the
first 2 414 km (1,500 mi).
. To break in new tires, drive at
moderate speeds and avoid hard
cornering for the first
322 km (200 mi). New tires do
not have maximum traction and
may tend to slip.
. New brake linings also need a
break-in period. Avoid making
hard stops during the first
322 km (200 mi). This is
recommended every time brake
linings are replaced.
The GM engineers have carefully formulated this break in procedure for us to follow. Their expertise is far greater than any of us and yet we have members who disregard these procedures and drive the car like they stole it right after 500 miles. This is one of the reasons why I don't like buying used cars because there are too many people who won't follow the proper break in procedures. I remember watching someone who just bought a new M3 leave the parking lot with a cold engine and you could hear the engine rev to high levels as he tore off down the street. I just shook my head.

Do people REALLY follow these break in guidelines from the owners manual. I guess my son was correct in the break in procedures.

@1990E30 ....I guess I'm a nerd or a geek or whatever, but I have always followed the break in guidelines AND read the book....and on these Blackwings, I've probably read parts of the book several times and/or referred to the PDF version.

@1990E30 ....I guess I'm a nerd or a geek or whatever, but I have always followed the break in guidelines AND read the book....and on these Blackwings, I've probably read parts of the book several times and/or referred to the PDF version.
same. always read and followed engine break in periods of new car purchases (not that they have been many).
the M3's back in the day used to come with a huge sticker on the windshield so you couldnt miss/avoid the procedure

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back