Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

2018 M2 to 2023 4 BW

The G87 M2 is not too bad on the looks department in the wild. We had an extended test drive in it. We just could not get over the 6 speed manual. My son thinks that the BW manual is very close to that of my GT4 and better than the 991.1 gts 7speed manual. I have to agree with my son.
I had an F87 M2, thought it was brutal. Too loud (MPE), too stiff, and I didn't care for the clutch/drivetrain saving measures that sucked the joy out of it. Not to mention the understeer and lack of rear traction on acceleration. Other than that, and the 7 visits to service in the first year, it was a good looking little sucker.

I also found the Cayman/Boxster 6-speed gearbox (981) to be much better than the 911 7-speed (991). I don't think there's a better clutch/shifter combination out there.

Do people REALLY follow these break in guidelines from the owners manual. I guess my son was correct in the break in procedures.
I do.

I have, as of this morning, 1497 miles on my car. I've generally followed procedures, except that once I got past 1000 miles, I did run the RPMs up to 5K a couple of times, never full throttle, just a nice gentle run up... natch, only after the oil got to 180 or higher.

On the way home today, I'll pass 1500 miles and let 'er rip. LOL. Just kidding, but I will be running it harder and harder, gradually. I never abuse cars, burnouts, juvenile crap like that.

No offense to the juveniles here. ;)

Thanks finally-a-v. Sums it up pretty well. Much is common sense (for some but not all apparently). And I usually follow most of this....however, I'm also of the opinion that carmakers don't want things to break right away where the customer might want to turn the car back in after the first few days. Sure stuff needs to settle...but for 1,500 miles? I'm not totally buying it.

Limiting RPMs and hard breaking and such the first few hundred miles OK....tires...yeah after a few miles they should be good to go. And to me not running at the same RPM makes more sense than whatever speed you're rolling along at. After I pass the 500 mile rev limiter I will have no qualms getting (somewhat) hard on it and taking up to (at least near) redline....no burnouts or launch mode starts certainly and I'll likely hold off no lift shifting (which will be very weird for me regardless...but ultimately I can see having fun with it) .

And if I don't get any advice wrt brake bedding in I'll likely go through the procedure at some point after the first 500-1,000 miles. Hopefully nothing breaks....

Thank you for the advice. I was thinking about taking the kids to thermal, California to M school. I have multiple vouchers, thanks to BMW. I heard Spring mountain is prett awesome, as well. We love spending winter in Summerlin hiking Red Rock Canyon. And spring mountain is only 30 minutes from Summerlin.
BTW, enjoy your drive. I will be in the lookout for you. I have never seen a BW, 4 or 5, in NOVA. Maybe you will be my first BW sighting.

Your location says Northern Virginia. Why not take the M School at the factory in Greer, SC? Closer than California ...

...and you can take some motorcycle classes, too!

FWIW, I think I had slightly more fun in the motorcycle class.

On the way home today, I'll pass 1500 miles and let 'er rip. LOL. Just kidding, but I will be running it harder and harder, gradually. I never abuse cars, burnouts, juvenile crap like that.

No offense to the juveniles here. ;)
If I were easily offendable, this would catch my attention even more. Since my wife has to constantly remind me I'm an adult and quit acting juvenile I can only reply with, you're right.

@1990E30 ....I guess I'm a nerd or a geek or whatever, but I have always followed the break in guidelines AND read the book....and on these Blackwings, I've probably read parts of the book several times and/or referred to the PDF version.
No, you are the smart owner.

Thanks finally-a-v. Sums it up pretty well. Much is common sense (for some but not all apparently). And I usually follow most of this....however, I'm also of the opinion that carmakers don't want things to break right away where the customer might want to turn the car back in after the first few days. Sure stuff needs to settle...but for 1,500 miles? I'm not totally buying it.

Limiting RPMs and hard breaking and such the first few hundred miles OK....tires...yeah after a few miles they should be good to go. And to me not running at the same RPM makes more sense than whatever speed you're rolling along at. After I pass the 500 mile rev limiter I will have no qualms getting (somewhat) hard on it and taking up to (at least near) redline....no burnouts or launch mode starts certainly and I'll likely hold off no lift shifting (which will be very weird for me regardless...but ultimately I can see having fun with it) .

And if I don't get any advice wrt brake bedding in I'll likely go through the procedure at some point after the first 500-1,000 miles. Hopefully nothing breaks....
Think of the next person buying your car. If you break in the car properly, then the car will more likely last a longer time without excessive repair work. I am always considering who will be purchasing the car and a selling point is describing how I took care of the car and maintained the car. Also, with the sophistication of the computer, is it possible that GM can record how you drive the car in the first 1500 miles and if you are taking it up to near redline before 1500 miles, then will GM be inclined to decline a repair during the warranty period?

I don’t abuse my high end cars, but I don’t
Your location says Northern Virginia. Why not take the M School at the factory in Greer, SC? Closer than California ...

...and you can take some motorcycle classes, too!

FWIW, I think I had slightly more fun in the motorcycle class.
i grew up in SoCal, close to Palm Springs, and have all my family there. I travel out there few times a year. Also, have a place in Summerlin. So it makes more sense to do it on the west coast.

This is the ultimate flex, buying a matching toy so your other kid doesnt feel left out, except the toys are 60-80k sports sedans.

Meanwhile I also just bought my daughter a new ride.

Little-Tikes-Kids-Rocking-Horse-in-Magenta-Classic-Indoor-Outdoor-Toddler-Ride-on-Toy-Kids-Bo...jpeg

This is the ultimate flex, buying a matching toy so your other kid doesnt feel left out, except the toys are 60-80k sports sedans.

Meanwhile I also just bought my daughter a new ride.

View attachment 22898
I got one of those for my kids many years ago. Lol
Not to get too personal, but I lost my wife to cancer many years ago. Since I can’t spoil my wife (who I loved more than life itself), I decided to spoil my three kids. Life is short and unpredictable. Therefore, I decided to make as many wonderful memories as I can afford!

Not to get too personal, but I lost my wife to cancer many years ago. Since I can’t spoil my wife (who I loved more than life itself), I decided to spoil my three kids. Life is short and unpredictable. Therefore, I decided to make as many wonderful memories as I can afford!

Oh damn. Can't argue with that logic. Losing a few collegues and friends due to cancer too soon is why I decided to daily a Blackwing.

Think of the next person buying your car. If you break in the car properly, then the car will more likely last a longer time without excessive repair work. I am always considering who will be purchasing the car and a selling point is describing how I took care of the car and maintained the car. Also, with the sophistication of the computer, is it possible that GM can record how you drive the car in the first 1500 miles and if you are taking it up to near redline before 1500 miles, then will GM be inclined to decline a repair during the warranty period?
Jim - if I like this car as I expect I will (and hope the wife will) then we are likely to have this car for a very long time. So I'm mainly breaking it in for me. Though its funny how many of my cars - that I've owned for 10yrs+ seem to end up with various neighbors...

I'm with you sir, my son is spoiled rotter too, but I cant afford to buy him a BW.... He had to settle for a BRZ... Sorry about your wife as I would give my life for my wife or son now if I had too!

My youngest son has a somewhat tricked out 86 (Toyota BRZ) and its a hoot to drive - perfect for the (younger or otherwise) enthusiast driver. My eldest son used to drive a first year Miata that was also a hoot...but drives a fit now. He is due to inherit the GTI at some point (sooner or later) and is very excited about that.

I just got back home late last night after picking up my 4 and driving it back from Atlanta. I'm still in a bit of a daze from the drive and the redeye from LA to get there...but I'll post some impressions etc perhaps later today.

I'm with you sir, my son is spoiled rotter too, but I cant afford to buy him a BW.... He had to settle for a BRZ... Sorry about your wife as I would give my life for my wife or son now if I had too!
Thank you. I like to think that I had something special most people never experienced. My kids and I have decided to be grateful and thankful instead of being bitter and angry.
Since this is a car forum, I will only talk about BW from now on.

My youngest son has a somewhat tricked out 86 (Toyota BRZ) and its a hoot to drive - perfect for the (younger or otherwise) enthusiast driver. My eldest son used to drive a first year Miata that was also a hoot...but drives a fit now. He is due to inherit the GTI at some point (sooner or later) and is very excited about that.

I just got back home late last night after picking up my 4 and driving it back from Atlanta. I'm still in a bit of a daze from the drive and the redeye from LA to get there...but I'll post some impressions etc perhaps later today.
Congrats! Looking forward to this one, hopefully the car meets your expectations.

I had cancer in my teens and again in my mid 20's. I used a bit of guilt on my wife to justify the BlackWing, a third car for myself. Who knows my life expectancy, I told her I don't know if I'll live to be old and gray with her, so let's have fun now if we can afford to. So I get the sentiment.

I had cancer in my teens and again in my mid 20's. I used a bit of guilt on my wife to justify the BlackWing, a third car for myself. Who knows my life expectancy, I told her I don't know if I'll live to be old and gray with her, so let's have fun now if we can afford to. So I get the sentiment.
Hope you make it to 100. Remember, the greatest gift you can give your wife is to live one more day than her.
My late wife told me one month before her death that she wanted to live two more years so she can try experiencing life without fear or worries. She never said she wanted to live two more years to see her son get into medical school or her daughter finish high school.

Hope you make it to 100. Remember, the greatest gift you can give your wife is to live one more day than her.
My late wife told me one month before her death that she wanted to live two more years so she can try experiencing life without fear or worries. She never said she wanted to live two more years to see her son get into medical school or her daughter finish high school.
Thanks,

My wife and I don't have kids. We are responsible to each other to live as long and healthy for each other as possible. It's why we take our health screenings so seriously and don't put them off. I say to her that she is my favorite noun that's ever existed. I have 0 interest going it alone without her.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back