Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

120th annie shifter

Joespenard

Seasoned Member
Wondering if anyone here has access to the shifter knob cap part number for the 120 Anniversary 23" m\y ? The control shaft & knob assy. is the same # 24046077 22-23 m\y .

Sure I can try to see who has one and ask them.. but I'm confused why we would even need to do that since we are not copying the 120th exactly and not including the shift pattern.. I already made the logo wouldn't we just need the diameter of the medallion and we just center the logo I made as best as possible then just run a bunch of horizontal lines behind it?
I have no idea what the supplier needs from us and I'm not familiar with their process. Are they going to do the CAD file generation work based on artwork (for some fee) or do they need a print ready file? There are limitations to the feature resolution for any 3D machine and that information is crucial if one of us is doing the CAD work. A photo of the actual 120th medallion would be useful to mimic the same feature resolution.

A photo should be more than sufficient, I’ve had custom jewelry made for my wife several times from a low res photo online and it’s turned out fantastic. They made a wax mold before the final press. I bet a jeweler could easily make something like this.

I just did a quick search and there are dozens of jewelers that can make something like a medallion or coil, here’s an example:

Last edited:
I have no idea what the supplier needs from us and I'm not familiar with their process. Are they going to do the CAD file generation work based on artwork (for some fee) or do they need a print ready file? There are limitations to the feature resolution for any 3D machine and that information is crucial if one of us is doing the CAD work. A photo of the actual 120th medallion would be useful to mimic the same feature resolution.
I'll call them and find out what they need.

A photo should be more than sufficient, I’ve had custom jewelry made for my wife several times from a low res photo online and it’s turned out fantastic. They made a wax mold before the final press. I bet a jeweler could easily make something like this.

I just did a quick search and there are dozens of jewelers that can make something like a medallion or coil, here’s an example:
this is actually a great idea for the price but the problem is there is a little plastic piece attached to the bottom of the medallion with a pattern that sets in and screws into the shifter as shown in the instructional YouTube video I previously posted. So how would we get the coin to attach and screw in to the shifter?

this is actually a great idea for the price but the problem is there is a little plastic piece attached to the bottom of the medallion with a pattern that sets in and screws into the shifter as shown in the instructional YouTube video I previously posted. So how would we get the coin to attach and screw in to the shifter?
1713669534740.png

1713669767835.png

I’m just spitballing, but here’s my thoughts, maybe some of this will help.

Option 2. finding the right size medallion/coin from Etsy to produce the face. I’d get a 1/4in (or smaller) brad hole tee nut that is capable of sliding into the shift knob. I would use a 2 part epoxy or construction adhesive to adhere this to the bottom of the medallion. These holes in the tee nut with adhesive would provide more than enough mechanical grip to secure the nut to the medallion. I’d use locktite blue on the screw so it doesn’t rotate. This would be the most cost effective option. Maybe the edge can be tapered so it sits smooth and flush around the shift knob.

Option 3. There would have to be more digging into Etsy or Jeweler to find a smith who can recreate the right size emblem with a domed shape if one wanted a OE fitment. The dimensions would be the hardest part. A new faced medallion photo could be used alongside an existing medallion as a base to get a mold created. The back could be created as a solid round nipple so that it can easily be threaded using a tap and die set.

Originally you stated you talked to the “team” that made the medallion. I thought they would also be making or subbing the plastic holder. I assumed the medallion + plastic would be one part number they assembled in house. It seems crazy they would send the medallion to another company that then makes the plastic piece and bonds in the medallion.

That changes the equation and now it’s likely we will need a complete part in hand to do a 3D scan of the plastic piece. We can have the plastic piece 3D printed from a CAD file.

Originally you stated you talked to the “team” that made the medallion. I thought they would also be making or subbing the plastic holder. I assumed the medallion + plastic would be one part number they assembled in house. It seems crazy they would send the medallion to another company that then makes the plastic piece and bonds in the medallion.

That changes the equation and now it’s likely we will need a complete part in hand to do a 3D scan of the plastic piece. We can have the plastic piece 3D printed from a CAD file.
My response was to Neveready and the link he posted with the cheaper Etsy coin printing. I wasn't talking about our original plan. However, I did try to call the "team" today to make sure about the plastic piece and they didn't pick up so hopefully I can confirm that the plastic piece comes with it in the next few days.

My response was to Neveready and the link he posted with the cheaper Etsy coin printing. I wasn't talking about our original plan. However, I did try to call the "team" today to make sure about the plastic piece and they didn't pick up so hopefully I can confirm that the plastic piece comes with it in the next few days.
I get the feeling you may not have done something like this before. I'm an engineer and deal with subcontractors and suppliers all the time. From my experience a good approach is to make a list of topics/questions, email it to them, then ask when they have time to schedule a conference call to discuss. From the call the outcome should be an update to the list with questions answered and action items for all parties to address. Do you have a list of questions you plan to ask them?

An email with the previous questions mentioned here has just been sent. Awaiting response and will update you with more accurate info once I get an answer.

Well good news guys, I just got off the phone with the guy in charge of printing the medallions. He was super nice and is all for helping us out since he's a car guy himself and he even suggested if we wanted to have a small section in the medallion to make them personalized and unique to each recipient like your initials or a number area sectioned off. The prongs and M4 screw socket are printed into the bottom of the medallion so we are good to go on that end. It's not a separate plastic piece as seen in the Camaro it's completely printed into the metal as one solid piece so they should fit right in once we receive them.

At this point he is going to go forward and get approval from his contacts at GM legal/copyright and if they are ok with what we are doing then so is he. He's also going to ask them if we have permission to use some of the original CAD programming that GM has given him for the original batches. If not, then we would have to make our own CAD file but it seemed like he was ok with at least giving us the accurate dimensions. He really has to cover himself since he is the only person they will come to if pictures of these things start getting posted all over the internet.

Lastly, the same requirements I originally mentioned still stand. We need a minimum order of 10 pieces and each one will cost approximately $250.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back