Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

5 BW Clutch Replacement

Ty88

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 CT5 V Blackwing
Has anyone had their clutch replaced in a 5 BW? I was at spring mountain this week and one of the instructors said the 5 BW clutch replacement parts alone are $8,000. I find it hard to believe the parts are that expensive. Anyone have any experience with this?

Has anyone had their clutch replaced in a 5 BW? I was at spring mountain this week and one of the instructors said the 5 BW clutch replacement parts alone are $8,000. I find it hard to believe the parts are that expensive. Anyone have any experience with this?
The front subframe has to be dropped/lowered 5" to reach the top bellhousing bolts. The steering linkage also gets disconnected. And there are lots and lots of cooler lines. And the exhaust usually comes out (although I dont believe it is listed in the service manual, but it makes it easier).

Parts list below ($1100 online for everything)

1. Remove the catalytic converter brace bracket (3). Catalytic Converter Brace BracketReplacement
2. Support the transmission using a suitable transmission jack.
3. Disconnect the transmission control from the transmission. Manual Transmission ControlReplacement
4. Disconnect the wiring harness clips from the transmission
5. Transmission Fluid Cooler Pipe Bolt (4) » Remove
6. Transmission Fluid Cooler Pipe Bracket Bolt (3) » Remove
7. Transmission Fluid Auxiliary Cooler Outlet Pipe Retainer Clip (1) » Disengage [2x]
8. Transmission Fluid Cooler Pipe » (2) Disconnect
9. Transmission Fluid Cooler Pipe » (2) Remove
10. Disconnect the electrical connectors. (1, 2, 3, 4)
11. Disconnect the wiring harness clips (5) from the transmission.
12. Remove the clutch actuator cylinder pipe retaining clip (1) from the clutch master cylinderpipe.
13. Disconnect the clutch actuator cylinder pipe (3) from the clutch master cylinder pipe.
14. Cap the opening to prevent contamination
15. Remove the transmission bolt (1, 2).
16. Disconnect the wiring harness retainers (1) from the transmission clutch housing
17. Remove the two transmission bolts and two transmission studs (1).
18. Disconnect the intermediate steering shaft from the mid intermediate steering shaft. MidIntermediate Steering Shaft Replacement
19. Front Wheelhouse Liner - Left Side and Right Side » Remove — Front Wheelhouse LinerReplacement
20. Support the transmission with a suitable transmission jack.
21. Loosen the four front cradle bolts (1), and remove the four rear cradle bolts (2) to allow the rear of the cradle support to tilt down with the jack approximately 125 mm (5 in). Drivetrain and Front Suspension Cradle Removal and Installation
22. Remove the left side transmission bolt (1)
23. Remove the right side transmission stud (1).Note: Do not leave the engine tilted on its mounts for an extended amount of time.
24. Remove the transmission from the vehicle. To clear the body structure, the front of the engine can be pushed up to tilt the engine and transmission.
25. Inspect the transmission fluid cooler, hoses, and pipes for leaks or damage. Replace as necessary

1706242441423.png

1706242542230.png

Attachments

• 1706242486154.png
    1706242486154.png
    37.9 KB · Views: 19
Thanks for the great response! The last time I has a clutch replaced on a car was in the 1990s and the total was $350. I’m pretty nice to clutches and have had cars go over 150k miles with no clutch replacement. Hopefully the BW clutch lasts a long time!

Pretty intimidating for someone who doesn't have significant wrench time on modern cars.

I don't have any experience on jobs such as that. I helped (did the majority of the work) on replacing the clutch on a few years old Volvo in 1970, nothing even like that since. Don

$8K in parts? Highly doubt that. They replaced the transmission too? That’s the only way i can see it adding to $8K with the transmission being $4500.

Figured if you take the clutch to get replaced by anybody but the dealer, you’d be in for $1K in labor. Cant be worst than doing a clutch in a corvette. 😅

Edit: actually looked up the trans…it’s even cheaper than my V2 trans. 🫣

If anyone gets quotes lets add them here. I may be in the market soon, looking at the monster clutches.

They probably exaggerate it to deter everyone from abusing the clutch.

The issue with the clutch is the shared fluid reservoir with the brakes. If you don’t bleed them properly the clutch won’t return all the way after a shift. Seems to only happen on track once you get the fluid really hot. Happened to my 5BW in two separate track events and to my friends 4BW.

Once I followed the procedure in the FSM to bleed the clutch I didn’t have any more problems. You should be able to see the issue with the clutch position in the PDR data, and you will get a warning on the dash if it’s bad enough.

The issue with the clutch is the shared fluid reservoir with the brakes. If you don’t bleed them properly the clutch won’t return all the way after a shift. Seems to only happen on track once you get the fluid really hot. Happened to my 5BW in two separate track events and to my friends 4BW.

Once I followed the procedure in the FSM to bleed the clutch I didn’t have any more problems. You should be able to see the issue with the clutch position in the PDR data, and you will get a warning on the dash if it’s bad enough.
On most cars there is an aftermarket solution to add a separate fluid reservoir for the clutch. They combine the two to save a few dollars, stupid idea.

Automatic all the way! I also find it odd that anybody would have to replace a clutch even under hard driving conditions under 100,000 miles.
Interesting you say that while having a profile pic of the BW manual gear shifter :unsure:

Last edited:

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners