Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Skip shift on CT4v Blackwing

Scaroline

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 CT4-V Blackwing
I noticed shifting into 2nd gear is blocked under low RPM. I took it to the dealer and they said that it may have the skip shift feature installed. Does anyone else experience this? Is there any way to get rid/bypass this other than shifting at a higher RPM?

I know my 5 doesn't have the skip shift feature. I thought they did away with it

How low of RPM? I haven’t heard of this before and haven’t noticed it. I have to use some more force going into 2nd but once warmed up it gets much better.

I don't know of any documentation of skip shift for any BW.

go to another dealer. They don’t want to deal with the problem. These transmissions are not consistently manufactured. Most shift great, some shift good and others need replacements.

If it’s absolutely refusing to go in, or it grinds to go in then you kinda have to bring it to another dealer.

Last edited:
I noticed shifting into 2nd gear is blocked under low RPM. I took it to the dealer and they said that it may have the skip shift feature installed. Does anyone else experience this? Is there any way to get rid/bypass this other than shifting at a higher RPM?
There is no skip shift on these cars. Second is tough when it's cold. I often just go 1-3 for the first few shifts of the day until I get some temp in the car.

Same here... 1st to 2nd is tough until the tranny warms up. Shifting at 3k rpms seems to be the sweet spot and makes it easier, though.

I can confirm this does not exist in my car. To test the theory I shifted into 2nd from N at a dead stop and no issues. Then I also successfully shifted from 1st to 2nd after fully releasing the clutch and no gas going about 5mph and no issues.

Man, it is so timely to see this post pop up . I installed the mod to eliminate skip shift in my V1 just a couple of days ago.

I have the '24 4bw, I can shift from 1-2 as low as 1300 RPM. I do not have any lockout. For the first 1k miles my 1-2 shift was a little stiff/clunky.

go to another dealer. They don’t want to deal with the problem. These transmissions are not consistently manufactured. Most shift great, some shift good and others need replacements.

If it’s absolutely refusing to go in, or it grinds to go in then you kinda have to bring it to another dealer.
It kinda feels like the synchronizer is not working. The only time is goes in smoothly is if I push the clutch and and slide it into 2nd when the engine revs fall down to that of 2nd gear. If i'm too late and the revs fall below that of 2nd gear, it is very very difficult to go in. I have driven other stick shifts before and obviously it goes into gear the easiest when everything is timed right and the revs match but the synchronizer should aid in the event that I'm a little early or late on pushing it into 2nd right? If anyone has any thoughts to share about weather my train of thought here is correct please do so. Double clutching also helps a bit but i'm not too good at it yet.

It kinda feels like the synchronizer is not working. The only time is goes in smoothly is if I push the clutch and and slide it into 2nd when the engine revs fall down to that of 2nd gear. If i'm too late and the revs fall below that of 2nd gear, it is very very difficult to go in. I have driven other stick shifts before and obviously it goes into gear the easiest when everything is timed right and the revs match but the synchronizer should aid in the event that I'm a little early or late on pushing it into 2nd right? If anyone has any thoughts to share about weather my train of thought here is correct please do so. Double clutching also helps a bit but i'm not too good at it yet.
How does it shift at half throttle or more above 4k rpm when warmed up?

Does rev match help at all?

No skip shift feature. Either you have a 2nd gear synchro issue or you need to hit the gym and muscle it in there. Would have a dealer check it out.

No skip shift feature. Either you have a 2nd gear synchro issue or you need to hit the gym and muscle it in there. Would have a dealer check it out.
How does it shift at half throttle or more above 4k rpm when warmed up?

Does rev match help at all?
Double clutching seems to completely resolve the issue so I assume it is a synchro issue?

Double clutching seems to completely resolve the issue so I assume it is a synchro issue?
Based on what you’re telling me, if this only happens in 2nd gear then that synchro is shot. If you can’t strong arm it into gear with clutch to the floor or it grinds if you do then a portion of the transmission needs to be rebuilt. I wouldn’t take anything less than a brand new transmission and neither should you. I would not trust a dealer to rebuild it, it’s too complex and that is not a forte of any dealership service department.

Based on what others on the forum have experienced, It will take at least a month or more to get a new transmission approved and installed. You should get a loaner right away, I wouldn’t take no for an answer.

Based on what you’re telling me, if this only happens in 2nd gear then that synchro is shot. If you can’t strong arm it into gear with clutch to the floor or it grinds if you do then a portion of the transmission needs to be rebuilt. I wouldn’t take anything less than a brand new transmission and neither should you. I would not trust a dealer to rebuild it, it’s too complex and that is not a forte of any dealership service department.

Based on what others on the forum have experienced, It will take at least a month or more to get a new transmission approved and installed. You should get a loaner right away, I wouldn’t take no for an answer.
Yeah just checked the PDR recording. They didn't even drive it and told me it was fine. Fucking waste of time.

I have to agree here, I had the 1-4 skip shift on my 1999 corvette. you had to shift before 10 mph, or after 19mph to avoid it, or give it at least half throttle. It was so annoying,I bypassed it with a dummy plug I got from Ecklers.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back