Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Blackwings and Watches

GLASHÜTTE ORIGINAL SEAQ

Unknown.jpg

Last edited:
Getting a Rolex Submariner is harder than getting a Blackwing.... I have 3 more Rolex watches thats on my want list at my AD.. I never know when I will get the call to come get it....
They are tough. You just need to get connected with watches as well as you are with Blackwings ;-)

Since we got some German watch fans out there, I submit the Sinn U50-T SDR Fully Tegimented. The things you need to know about this watch is that it is pronounced "Zinn" and Rolex or any other watch does not hold a candle to a tegimented watch as far as toughness! (1200 Vickers on the hardness scale using Submarine Steel)

Examples of different degrees of hardness:
Stainless steel: approx. 200–240 HV
Titanium Grade 2: approx. 210 HV
Titanium Grade 5: approx. 350 HV
Hardened mineral glass: approx. 800–900 HV
Tegimented stainless steel: 1200 HV
Sapphire crystal glass: approx. 2,000 HV
Diamond: > 4,500–10,000 HV

BW5-SinnU50.jpg

Since we got some German watch fans out there, I submit the Sinn U50-T SDR Fully Tegimented. The things you need to know about this watch is that it is pronounced "Zinn" and Rolex or any other watch does not hold a candle to a tegimented watch as far as toughness! (1200 Vickers on the hardness scale using Submarine Steel)

Examples of different degrees of hardness:
Stainless steel: approx. 200–240 HV
Titanium Grade 2: approx. 210 HV
Titanium Grade 5: approx. 350 HV
Hardened mineral glass: approx. 800–900 HV
Tegimented stainless steel: 1200 HV
Sapphire crystal glass: approx. 2,000 HV
Diamond: > 4,500–10,000 HV

View attachment 16014
image.jpg

I like Sinn as well!

Very cool throwback! Missile Launcher^^^^^

Or maybe....a BW? ;)

They are tough. You just need to get connected with watches as well as you are with Blackwings ;-)
I talked with my local AD a couple of years back and he laid out his expectations for me as a customer. I quite frankly was not that interested in buying a bunch of watches I didn’t want and wining and dining him just to get on a wait list for a desirable timepiece.

The dealer business model is pretty crazy considering this is a mass produced product. I prefer the less well known and arguably better quality watches that most people would never know of or have any idea are expensive watches. I do have a sub no-date (the one watch that is in everyones Rolex collection) but it doesn’t get much use.

I talked with my local AD a couple of years back and he laid out his expectations for me as a customer. I quite frankly was not that interested in buying a bunch of watches I didn’t want and wining and dining him just to get on a wait list for a desirable timepiece.

The dealer business model is pretty crazy considering this is a mass produced product. I prefer the less well known and arguably better quality watches that most people would never know of or have any idea are expensive watches. I do have a sub no-date (the one watch that is in everyones Rolex collection) but it doesn’t get much use.
Full agreement here. I am lucky to go back almost 25 years with several dealers that cover my brands of interest. Much tougher to gain traction if you turned to watches in the past 5 years.

Obviously it varies wildly from one AD to the next regarding how they determine who gets the most desirable watches, but my experience has been less irritating with ADs than car dealers. My experience with ADs has been more one of loyalty being rewarded. They realize you didn’t walk out the door and make a quick $10k on the watch they sold you several months prior when it’s on your wrist when you come in to buy earrings for your wife. Then you will get another desirable watch. They aren’t interested in only selling you desirable watches. If I ever flipped one of the watches they sold me, I wouldn’t expect to be offered another. I feel they really want to reward their good customers, as opposed to the car dealer that more often than not simply sells to the highest bidder. (I realize the ADs that are required by their agreement with Rolex to sell at list price essentially add ADM with additional purchase requirements, but it still doesn’t leave the same negative impression/experience as car dealer ADM from my perspective.)

I suppose it depends how you look at it. They wanted me to buy a TAG Heuer watch or two first then maybe I could get on a wait list for a Rolex. At that point I could (and did) go off and buy a Rolex immediately from Chrono24 for not much more than the TAGs + the Rolex. I’m not sure where the incentive is for a buyer like myself to purchase through an AD. I get it that some people have big watch collections and an unlimited budget and that seems to be the buyers they cater to. That’s fine, I just have to buy through the channels the rest of us casual buyers use. A quick search on Chrono24 shows 5700+ Rolex GMTs for sale so there is definitely no short supply unlike the 5BW.

I know a lot of people buy watches on the gray market and that's fine, but I like to get all the paperwork with it and be the first owner of the watch... I purchase thru an AD and it causes me to have to wait, and my wife is ok with that, lol

My problem is while waiting on the Rolex's I want I see other watches and I want to purchase them too.... My wife is always asking me when does it end, and I have no answer for her....
It doesn’t help if you’re over at Watchuseek. I read that a “responsible” watch person’s collection totals 50% or less of their gross annual income.

Well, I don't spend 50% of my annual income on watches so I guess I'm doing ok, and my small humble collect is not 50% of my annual income either...
I not suggesting to spend 50% of your gross income every year on watches. I meant the total collection value at any given time is 50% of the current gross income. I actually had a bigger collection but have been selling watches I don’t have a strong connection with. I think an El Primero purchase is likely for this year.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back