Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Dealer F up. What would you do?

Beamz27

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
CT4V BW
Got 4 new tires mounted at my local dealer last weekend. Of course it took oddly long so i asked the service writer casually what they fucked up. Hesitantly he walks me back and shows me they fucked up 3 of my wheels. I told them they owe me 3 new wheels. The service director called me the next Monday and said they are gonna send them out to a powder coater in which I pushed back on as I don’t think a powder coater is gonna be able to replicate the level of flake in the wheel (the metallic black wheels) and I’m sure they will fuck up the V logos that are subtly imprinted across the one spoke. It has disaster written all over it in my opinion.

What would you guys do?

Got 4 new tires mounted at my local dealer last weekend. Of course it took oddly long so i asked the service writer casually what they fucked up. Hesitantly he walks me back and shows me they fucked up 3 of my wheels. I told them they owe me 3 new wheels. The service director called me the next Monday and said they are gonna send them out to a powder coater in which I pushed back on as I don’t think a powder coater is gonna be able to replicate the level of flake in the wheel (the metallic black wheels) and I’m sure they will fuck up the V logos that are subtly imprinted across the one spoke. It has disaster written all over it in my opinion.

What would you guys do?
I'd have them agree to something like this; if the powder coater does a satisfactory job, then it's dealt with, but if they don't do great, the dealer can keep the wheels to sell, but order you new ones. Worth a shot.

I would go scorched earth. That shit will flake off in a few years and that's if it matches. I've seen vendors in a van do it in the back parking lot. They claim powdercoat but it may be a spray job. Once they spend the money on them you'll have to argue with them even moreso if you're unhappy. Try to get them to give you new wheels now if it's really that bad.

I would go scorched earth. That shit will flake off in a few years and that's if it matches. I've seen vendors in a van do it in the back parking lot. They claim powdercoat but it may be a spray job. Once they spend the money on them you'll have to argue with them even moreso if you're unhappy. Try to get them to give you new wheels now if it's really that bad.
Or better yet, you find a powdercoat place that you know will do right. Do all 4 wheels and make them float the bill. That's the best way to handle that.

I'd argue that powder coating them could compromise their integrity. Do they want to take that liability?

I'd argue that powder coating them could compromise their integrity. Do they want to take that liability?
Genius 1Evill55... @Beamz27 you got enough ammunition to go back in. Let us know how it turns out.

FWIW, I could see 1 wheel but 3 wheels scratched? Send us a picture if you get a chance.

Depending on the outcome you may want to call Cadillac Customer Service and file a complaint.

If you can post some pictures that would be great.

Regarding repair/replacement, if light scratches then yes painting/powder coating may be reasonable. But if significant damage I would hold the dealership accountable for replacement parts as it happened on their time/location, not that you took it to some other mechanic/tire shop. My two cents of course.

Christopher

I'm sorry for your frustration. Sucks. IMHO....three brand new wheels (maybe four). Why didn't they stop after messing up one? I'm so sick and tired of bullshit anymore. Nobody cares, can't get anything done right the first time, no respect for others property. Time for a sit down with management.

Powder coating won't mess up any integrity of the wheels. They get baked to 350-400degrees on average. A track day brake temp is going to do more harm than homogeneous slow bake to cure. The factory wheels are likely sprayed - I have the tech bronzes not black ones but see distinct lack of coverage that an aerosol application would do but powder likely would not. Powder coating would get you a better finish in my opinion. If they send it out, make sure all 4 are sent out and they send it to a reputable place that will chemically strip and prep the wheels. The v logos will come through just fine. For reference, I just paid $630 ea for a new set of wheels from a GM dealer site. If they get 3 it's going to be more expensive than powder but also prevents you from having to wait a day to have things powdered. I ld argue for that to prevent being out a car

Lots of good food for thought already - firstly let's see the damage so we're talking less out of our backside :)
That aside, you picking the shop, having all 4 wheels done (you don't want that 1 looking slightly off), they pay the bill. If they are properly gouged up, then ya maybe a new set is in order, but if they say they will fix them up they will more than likely chintz out, but if you get a good shop to do them, they'll be grand.

Lots of good food for thought already - firstly let's see the damage so we're talking less out of our backside :)
That aside, you picking the shop, having all 4 wheels done (you don't want that 1 looking slightly off), they pay the bill. If they are properly gouged up, then ya maybe a new set is in order, but if they say they will fix them up they will more than likely chintz out, but if you get a good shop to do them, they'll be grand.
👏 well said!

If you let them powder coat the wheels and you're not happy with how they turn out, what are you going to do then? Push for them to be replaced or refinished again?

If you let them powder coat the wheels and you're not happy with how they turn out, what are you going to do then? Push for them to be replaced or refinished again?
Well no of course not, then it's between you and the shop. That is the point of choosing a reputable one, it's your transaction - they just pay for it.
Again we're spitballing without pics of the wheels. If they have chunks out of them, then ya powder coating isn't the answer. If the dealer is willing to pay X amount for new wheels great! But if not you need to mitigate somehow.

Genius 1Evill55... @Beamz27 you got enough ammunition to go back in. Let us know how it turns out.

FWIW, I could see 1 wheel but 3 wheels scratched? Send us a picture if you get a chance.

Depending on the outcome you may want to call Cadillac Customer Service and file a complaint.
I agree fully

I'm sorry for your frustration. Sucks. IMHO....three brand new wheels (maybe four). Why didn't they stop after messing up one? I'm so sick and tired of bullshit anymore. Nobody cares, can't get anything done right the first time, no respect for others property. Time for a sit down with management.
That’s what I’m thinking. These wheels aren’t exactly just your run of the mill black wheels either.

Powder coating won't mess up any integrity of the wheels. They get baked to 350-400degrees on average. A track day brake temp is going to do more harm than homogeneous slow bake to cure. The factory wheels are likely sprayed - I have the tech bronzes not black ones but see distinct lack of coverage that an aerosol application would do but powder likely would not. Powder coating would get you a better finish in my opinion. If they send it out, make sure all 4 are sent out and they send it to a reputable place that will chemically strip and prep the wheels. The v logos will come through just fine. For reference, I just paid $630 ea for a new set of wheels from a GM dealer site. If they get 3 it's going to be more expensive than powder but also prevents you from having to wait a day to have things powdered. I ld argue for that to prevent being out a car
The dealer should get them for cost. I made sure they saw all 4 wheels were absolutely mint when I brought them in. I’m the type who wants factory replacements instead of a bandaid job ya know?

2 wheels have a 3-4 inch grind streaks all way through the finish so all you see is the white below. 1 wheel has a 6 inch ground scratch around the edge. I’m gonna need to look at the non fucked up wheel also use to double check as I don’t trust their word. They initially showed me the 2. I found damage to the third when I got home.

Here’s just two of the wheels. They are dirty as it’s been snowing here in IL. Didn’t feel like starting the car and moving it to get the wheels to rotate to get more pics

Attachments

• 0CC40EC4-7394-4437-B8C7-C0A9AD36AE82.jpeg
    0CC40EC4-7394-4437-B8C7-C0A9AD36AE82.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 168
  • 6223F000-4A70-4293-A530-4537373A8CAC.jpeg
    6223F000-4A70-4293-A530-4537373A8CAC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 161

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed