Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

GM Press Release: Cadillac to wow customers with total customer experience

Official press release by General Motors.

Rob

Administrator
Staff member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
Not Yet!
Customer Experience is New Luxury Battleground

Cadillac institutes cultural initiatives to improve customer service

2012-04-25

DETROIT – The fierce competition between luxury automotive brands extends beyond artfully designed, high-tech new products. It’s about capturing the hearts and minds of affluent customers before product or price enter the equation.

“While we’ve performed fairly well in customer service, we sensed a bigger opportunity,” said Kurt McNeil, vice president of Cadillac Sales and Service. “We call the approach Defining Moments – the fact that every interaction with a customer can potentially define our brand.”

Spurred by the brand’s ongoing momentum in product and marketing, Cadillac gained insights from outside the automotive space to enhance its approach to customer experience.

“Cadillac is the real thing when it comes to the products, and its approach to the cultural aspects of the luxury customer experience,” said Milton Pedraza, founder and CEO of the Luxury Institute,

The institute conducts extensive research on affluent consumer behaviors. One of Pedraza’s key findings is that today’s luxury consumers have countless options for desirable products, placing more value on experiences.

“To earn credibility among luxury customers, brands not only have to offer the best products, but they must also be kind and provide an overall positive purchasing experience,” said Pedraza. “The opportunity for luxury brands not only lies in out-performing the competition, but also out-behaving the competition.”

Cadillac began “Defining Moments” training for internal and dealership staff was co-developed with the Ritz-Carlton. Famed for excellence in customer service, Ritz-Carlton team members maintain a consistent global culture at all levels devoted to earning guest loyalty.

“The training was important because it showed that luxury customer experiences are built on the culture and the behavior of people,” McNeil says. “It’s not about programs or discount offers. Great service comes from ordinary people delivering excellence at all levels.”

While emphasizing new cultural approaches, Cadillac has supported that with upgrades to what can be seen and experienced physically. Hundreds of dealers are rebuilding or renovating dealerships. Cadillac has redesigned consumer websites and instituted specific standards for local dealer advertising. For example, Cadillac Shield is a set of ownership benefits that includes complimentary roadside assistance from a Cadillac technician, and Cadillac courtesy transportation programs for cars being serviced.

“With Cadillac expanding in 2012 with two all-new products, it’s a perfect opportunity to prepare to welcome new guests,” says McNeil.

Cadillac has earned steady increases in consumer and industry satisfaction surveys, ranking among the top brands in many measures of customer satisfaction.

The brand was recently recognized as a 2012 Customer Service Champion by J.D. Power and Associates. The luxury automaker was one of only 50 companies out of 800 studied to earn the distinction. The 2012 Champions were identified based on customer feedback, opinions, and perceptions gathered primarily from J.D. Power’s syndicated research in 2011.

<object id="flashObj" width="480" height="270" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,47,0"><param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=1585510437001&playerID=1055201185001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAA9K3O_eE~,BF-rjVZt6dxWMzhYS_d0aK6IljUB_vgT&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=1585510437001&playerID=1055201185001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAA9K3O_eE~,BF-rjVZt6dxWMzhYS_d0aK6IljUB_vgT&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="480" height="270" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>

The folks at Bob Moore Cadillac in Norman, OK have always treated be well and made me good deals on cars.
I don't get to see them much as the "V Wagon" has been bullet-proof in the 17 months that I've owned. It's about ready for its second free oil change.

I'll Believe it if I see it........!

LONG STORY FOR A SHORT POINT

On March 9, 2012 I ordered a CTS-V Coupe from OC Buick/GMC/Cadillac in Costa Mesa, CA. I had heard there had been some "settling" of the organization since it had been purchased 8 months ago by a large company that owns many dealerships across the country. By the way, many of you will recognize the history of that company - it is Fisher Body. Yes, THAT Fisher body. Remember all of the older GM vehicles that had "Body by Fisher" on the door sills? Cadillacs, Pontiacs, Buicks, Chevrolets...at some point, they all had that famous Fisher logo. Well, I ignored my instincts with the mindset of "what could go wrong?" since it is a fairly simple thing to order a vehicle and expect a somewhat timely delivery of that exact vehicle. In retrospect, I should have gone to Tustin Cadillac...same guys there for 20 + years. This was the fifth vehicle I've ordered from a manufacturer. Thanks to a GM-retired uncle I was able to secure the GM pricing along with some pretty sweet cash incentives from the factory. It was a great deal, and I was ready after spending some months (about 4) figuring out what I wanted to buy. I was also lucky to participate in Cadillac's V-Series Performance Lab at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, CA. That was a fun day! At that point, I was already convinced the V-Coupe was the one I wanted (so you couldn't say I was a "conquest"), but I'd also been pining for a Z06 'vette for years, and came close to buying one twice (one was used). I've had 3 Camaros, starting with a nicely optioned '67, then a '93 Z-28, then a '98 SS that I modified a lot...loved them all. in 2004, I ordered my daily driver, an Infiniti FX45 (so far, best vehicle I've ever owned - I'm almost embarrassed to say that). I guess I got a little spoiled with the Infiniti "experience" - it's hard to not get used to being wrapped in comfort and luxury every day. When the ZL1 Camaro was annointed as the newest best bang for the buck in terms of performance (Z06 stuff with a Camaro price) I wanted one very badly since I've always been a Camaro lover. However first model year limited allocation (5,000 total) the dealers who actually got one or more on their lots were selling them at premiums over MSRP - $5K to $15K over. My first thought was WTF? Then I put myself in a dealers shoes, and realized...it's a tough, competitive business...if I could sell a few cars that are in high demand for one model year...why not? Someone will pay those prices with all the hype going on. But that person is not me; I've never even come close to paying MSRP for anything. Those who seek out the best deals will find them. But...I digress...off on a tangent as I often go (sorry). By now you want to know what the hell the point of this post is...

Okay...here it is - After waiting 10 weeks to get my car, the dealer calls me up and says "come and get it." So, off to the bank for a cashier's check, and driving up to the lot I see the salesperson waiting for me, all smiles and waving. As we walk to the underground garage, my new V-logo'd floormats under my arm, I see my car under the lights, all pretty, polished to a "T." I do the obligatory walk-around, the whole time that soundtrack from Ferris Bueller's Day Off going through my head...."Ohhhh, Yeahhhh...." (you know, when Ferris saw his buddy's dad's vintage red Ferrari in the glass-enclosed garage). I got the Crystal Red Tintcoat paint so it was looking pretty sweet at that point. As I walked around to the passenger side, I opened the door and looked inside...I wanted to throw in the floor mats to see how they looked.

What I saw momentarily stunned me. At first I thought...this has got to be a mistake...we have the wrong car...I look at the salesperson, still all smiles, standing about ten feet away - she could tell by the instant change of expression on my face something was amiss. What was amiss, you ask, my Cadillac-loving friends? Well, the interior was all Ebony Black. I ordered Ebony Saffron. This is obviously a personal thing, either you love it or you hate it. I've never had a two-toned interior but when I saw it I had to include that in my order. So....at this point there is absolutely no clue from anyone at the dealership "what could have gone wrong." Who the hell cares, I'm not about the blame at this point...I just want the car I ordered and I don't want to wait another 10 weeks. Oh...so they're not taking any new orders for 2012s at the factory you say Mr. Sales Manager? Awww...that's too bad....you're sorry? Gee, thanks...now I feel a whole lot better! What? Now you're saying the factory is tooling for the 2013 production so they won't be building any new orders for another 6 weeks? Aw, shucks...well it seems I'm screwed now if I want to drive this car in the summer. What, now you're saying my deal (cash incentives) may not be applicable on a different VIN? Geez, that also too bad. Oh well...another customer takes it in the shorts I guess. Have a nice day! What really chapped my hide is the finger-pointing that ensued..."it must have been ordered wrong" by the now-gone fleet managers (another part of the dealer's organizational changes). They're telling me this as I'm showing them a copy of the order I got immediately after they put the order in the GM order workbench system. WTF, over...

So far, no definitive answers from anyone (GM at the dealer - elevated past the sales mgr), or the GM District Rep for customer service. I have been tossed two alternatives - take the car I didn't order and get the deal I was offered when I laid out my $1K deposit, or...have the interior switched out with factory parts shipped to the dealer and let their techs install door panels, seats, etc. Neither option sounds good to me...first, I don't want another all-black interior and second, I don't want to be taking my car back multiple time with complaints of squeaks, rattles, and other noises from interior parts not installed by the factory. Another dealer told me that there are also liability issues with an interior (primarily the seats) that are not installed by the factory. Suppose I get into a horrific crash and the seats come off their tracks (I know - it's farfetched)...who is liable? It won't be the factory, that's for sure.

I'm taking a wait and see approach for now...but my patience is running out. I want to see if the "Defining Moments" training has taken hold and if the 2012 Customer Satisfaction for Cadillac accolades from JD Power and Associates really means anything. I can't get a return call from the GM at the dealer now....he was supposed to call me two days ago. I'm not going to run him down. The heavy bag in my garage already got a good beating from me (it doesn't hit back) so I've physically vented as much as I need to...but, I'm taking another look at that Cyber Gray Z06 now. I really don't think the Cadillac dealer gives a crap whether or not I buy a car from them or am satisfied [or not]. So much for customer satisfaction. They just don't need the trouble and I guess accountability is too much to bear for them. Infiniti sure knows how to take care of their customers...that is probably a good reason we have 3 in the family (one is a new G37S and my significant other says she loves it). What's not to love? Lightweight with plenty of power (336HP), paddle shifters, lots of luxury and tech stuff. BUT, I want to manually row through the gears in my American GM car again....where is it?

I don't have a super-lavish life style...I don't take a lot of expensive vacations...I don't gamble....sure, I drink a little, but I don't carouse since I'm hooked up with a fantastic woman. I'm a car guy, I upgraded my garage because that is where I like to be, and all I want is a car that makes me feel good when I'm driving it. I'm just your average corporate hack not some pretentious a-hole...getting the car I ordered is not too much to ask in my opinion.

Some of you will be able to identify or relate to my frustration, some of you (maybe many of you) will say I'm just a whiny bastard and get over it already. I can see both points, really. I'm interested to see what anyone who cares to comment thinks...C'mon, I can take it...dish it out!

And.......if any of you have suggestions...(as Ross Perot used to say)..."I'm all ears!" :lol: I gotta laugh to keep from cryin'...

2012_CTS-V_Coupe.jpg

Order mix up? I can see it happening with a new car or when you build a new house or just about anything else you order. Cars and houses just take a lot longer to make it right.

Checking all the order paperwork before commiting to the order is paramount. Making sure the dealer doesn't change something afterward is important. Dealing with a dealer that you trust is important.
When I sat down with the sales manager at my dealership, we went over every selectable option and made sure I was going to get what I wanted before the final "send" button was clicked.

At this point, you have a car that isn't what you ordered and the dealer can't make it right without even more delay - even if they tried as hard as possible to make it right. Frustrating - you bet! Sorry it happened that way for you.

The desired results is to have the car you ordered now but that's not going to happen.

How bad do you want the car you ordered and how long are you willing to wait for it?

What do you expect from the dealer and GM now? What will satisify you best?

Does another dealer have one like you ordered and can your dealer get it?

Wanting the car you ordered isn't whinning. You're paying good money for this car and it really should be the way you want it. Now, you have to decide which way you want to go as far as being satisified.

Order mix up? I can see it happening with a new car or when you build a new house or just about anything else you order. Cars and houses just take a lot longer to make it right.

Checking all the order paperwork before commiting to the order is paramount. Making sure the dealer doesn't change something afterward is important. Dealing with a dealer that you trust is important.
When I sat down with the sales manager at my dealership, we went over every selectable option and made sure I was going to get what I wanted before the final "send" button was clicked.

At this point, you have a car that isn't what you ordered and the dealer can't make it right without even more delay - even if they tried as hard as possible to make it right. Frustrating - you bet! Sorry it happened that way for you.

The desired results is to have the car you ordered now but that's not going to happen.

How bad do you want the car you ordered and how long are you willing to wait for it?

What do you expect from the dealer and GM now? What will satisify you best?

Does another dealer have one like you ordered and can your dealer get it?

Wanting the car you ordered isn't whinning. You're paying good money for this car and it really should be the way you want it. Now, you have to decide which way you want to go as far as being satisified.

I agree with you on all points. In terms of order accuracy, I knew at the time of ordering it was my chance to make darn sure there were no screw ups. The two fleet managers patiently discussed every single detail with me while they were going off of my hand written list of details as they were inputting the order in the GM Global Order Workbench. They also bounced it off of each other, and when they had it in the system they gave me a copy of the order which I compared against my list. It was right as rain.

Today about two hours after I posted my complaint here (imagine that) the dealer GM called me with his factory rep in his office. They told me it was going to be unlikely that they will be able to find a '12 model in production prior to build stage 3100...But they are going to try.

Failing that, they will offer me a '13 model built to my specs (since the Ebony/Saffron interior will be an option again) but they can not guarantee the factory incentives on my deal will remain. So, the contingency is what the final deal will be. They also offered me a $1,500 certificate for GM accessories. That was nice, but I don't think there is anything other than foot well lighting and maybe a car cover that I would want from GM...maybe worth $300.

At this point I haven't reconciled another 10-week wait for a '13 model as being worth it. Maybe I'll change my mind if I think about it some more. A one year newer model isn't necessarily a bad thing when it comes to resale time...or should I say "if" it comes to resale time.

As far as availability now....when the problem was discovered, the dealer spent some time doing a check all the way to Maine to see if there was another V-Coupe configured exactly the same way in any other dealer's inventory....no luck. They also checked all vehicles in transit and also no luck. Wow, I didn't think my taste was that unique.

It's been a week since this happened, and to be honest I'm just kind of flat emotionally as far as this whole thing goes...now I'm just waiting to see what happens. Maybe this happening was a sign....maybe I shouldn't get one at all....maybe I'll walk on to the Corvette lot and see a super deal on a 2012 ZR1....(it would have to be a GREAT deal in order for me to afford it....LOL).

It's been a week since this happened, and to be honest I'm just kind of flat emotionally as far as this whole thing goes...

Yeap! I can understand that. The whole process let you down and there's nothing you or the dealer can do to fix it in a reasonable time. Wish there was.

now I'm just waiting to see what happens. Maybe this happening was a sign....maybe I shouldn't get one at all....

Have someone read you tea leaves or get a tarot reading. maybe not. Could be just a sign of the system screwing up but not a sign to give up on getting the V coupe you want.

maybe I'll walk on to the Corvette lot and see a super deal on a 2012 ZR1....(it would have to be a GREAT deal in order for me to afford it....LOL).

I can't disagree with the idea of checking out a Vette (I have one myself and hope to have a new one in the next couple of weeks). My boss is tossing around the idea of the ZR1 or the V coupe and can't make up his mind. My situation is different as my Vette is my 2-door car and it's a vert. My V is my "family" car that hauls stuff and grand kids. Good thing my wife lets me have both.

Can't wait to hear how this turns out.

Good luck getting it the way you want it................

Replacement Vehicle

Good luck getting it the way you want it................

The Latest:

Dealer ordered a 2013 since the 2012s are not being built any longer. First production date for the '13 models is June 11. Since my new order was placed last week of May, my order has been preferenced and scheduled for production already. At this time delivery date is scheduled for the week of July 23rd...but I hope to get that expedited since the car will be built by June 15th.

Dealer was able to get me an additional $2,500 off of the best deal available once a VIN is assigned. I have GM Supplier pricing + whatever cash incentives are available...and now + $2,500. Should be an interesting deal once we get it all on paper.

The new person I'm dealing with is really good...he is giving me updates via email every day. This is how it should have been from the start.

Waiting.....tap, tap, tap.... :rolleyes:

The Latest:

Dealer ordered a 2013 since the 2012s are not being built any longer. First production date for the '13 models is June 11. Since my new order was placed last week of May, my order has been preferenced and scheduled for production already. At this time delivery date is scheduled for the week of July 23rd...but I hope to get that expedited since the car will be built by June 15th.

Dealer was able to get me an additional $2,500 off of the best deal available once a VIN is assigned. I have GM Supplier pricing + whatever cash incentives are available...and now + $2,500. Should be an interesting deal once we get it all on paper.

The new person I'm dealing with is really good...he is giving me updates via email every day. This is how it should have been from the start.

Waiting.....tap, tap, tap.... :rolleyes:

Hopefully everything will be the way it SHOULD HAVE BEEN the first time...

Update on 2013 Model Order

Hopefully everything will be the way it SHOULD HAVE BEEN the first time...

I got a call from a factory rep...she has been really great to speak with and I am convinced she is sincere in her efforts to help me out. There is apparently now a lead time issue for the supplier of the saffron interior fabric. Delay in weeks is undetermined at this time. I don't know what else can go awry at this point, but I'm sure something else will pop up before it is all over... Boy, that sure sounds pessimistic, doesn't it?

:frown:

Update 6-22-12

Got great news from the dealer today. Car completed build yesterday and is ready to ship. Not sure how long to get here, but they are trying to expedite, which will likely only shed 2 or 3 days from the entire process, rail to truck. Looking at 2 weeks or less, hopefully. Also noted was a minimal price increase of $180. Not too shabby.

Last edited:
I got a call from a factory rep...she has been really great to speak with and I am convinced she is sincere in her efforts to help me out. There is apparently now a lead time issue for the supplier of the saffron interior fabric. Delay in weeks is undetermined at this time. I don't know what else can go awry at this point, but I'm sure something else will pop up before it is all over... Boy, that sure sounds pessimistic, doesn't it?

:frown:

Update 6-22-12

Got great news from the dealer today. Car completed build yesterday and is ready to ship. Not sure how long to get here, but they are trying to expedite, which will likely only shed 2 or 3 days from the entire process, rail to truck. Looking at 2 weeks or less, hopefully. Also noted was a minimal price increase of $180. Not too shabby.

CONGRATS!!! Can't wait to see pics!!!

CONGRATS!!! Can't wait to see pics!!!

UPDATE 6-30-12

Yesterday my guy at the dealer gave me the status of the transportation of my car. "It's on a rail car, currently in Joliet, Illinois. ETA at Mira Loma, CA (where they put it on a truck for the 53 mile trip to the dealer) is undetermined at this point." However, due date to the dealer that is shown on the invoice is 07-03-12. I'm hopeful, because the last car that was ordered wrong came in a day early. But to make it on a rail car from Joliet in only 5 days? I don't know about that...The day before the train was in southern Indiana. Seems they are zig-zagging through the Midwest.

This is the level of minutiae that my thinking has been going through this time. Seems the last few days are the hardest since I have a pretty good idea of when the car will show up, give or take a day or two. I'm excited, but impatient!

I've now been searching for things I want to get for it. Not having a lot of luck and it doesn't seem there is much help on this forum.

What I'm looking for:

• CAGS eliminator - No luck from Lingenfelter or Hennesey. Haven't checked with D3 yet but I heard they defeat it in the ECM like Hennessey does.
  • Lowering springs - Eibach won't confirm fitment on a 2013 same as a 2012, even though the models are identical. Talk about playing it safe! Haven't checked Hotchkiss yet, not sure about Pedders.
  • Cat-back exhaust. Being in California, I can't even think about getting away with headers. I've looked at Borla, Corsa, B&B, KM, and a couple of other little-known brands. I keep hearing that the OEM exhaust on the V is so efficient, HP gains will be very minimal (4-5 HP maybe) - but my main reason is I want it to sound really good...I like loud (Corsa Sport?) but won't be able to tolerate drone at cruise.
  • Airbox/airfilter - Looked at Raid & K&N. Don't know about any others....suggestions please!
  • Supercharger pulley...Hennessey has a new one...probably go with that one.
  • I already have the wheels on hold. Simply, black chrome exchange of the OEM painted wheels from Black Diamond wheels.
  • I already bought different floormats...better carpet with an embroidered "V"....cheesy?
  • I'll find a local tuner after I get the exhaust, pulley and airbox on it...reprogram the ECM and maybe get it loaded onto a diablo handheld.
Any other suggestions I might be interested in?

:blinzel:

UPDATE 7-5-12

Took delivery today....finally! Car is beautiful of course....first 2013 in the area. Unfortunately, after I got home I noticed some problems with the contract. When I signed it everyone was ready to leave the dealership because it was half an hour after closing so I felt rushed and didn't want to pore over every nuance. So next day I go to some friends I have at another dealership (yes, I know...maybe I should have just bought the car from them after the first one showed up wrong). They validated everything about the contract that was likely to be kicked back from the bank. Everything from incorrectly applied incentives to interest rate jacked up way higher than it should have been. Also, they didn't apply the goodwill customer appreciation discount the district sales manger promised me for $2,500. My fault for signing it in the first place but to be honest I didn't expect to have to be on guard for something like this after everything that has happened.

So I basically thought it was going to get nasty because in spite of how much I wanted the car I wasn't willing to keep it knowing that I got screwed on the interest rate to the tune of $6,ooo - I was ready to drop it off at the lot, place a stop on my $18K check, and walk away and let them file a lawsuit for the contract amount. I could have ordered another one from my friends at the other lot and waited another 6 weeks. Thankfully, I spoke with the same guy that has been working with me through this whole process of ordering the new car and getting it delivered. He seems to be able to relate to the frustration with this whole deal I've experienced and assured me that the dealership would do the right thing. Since I'm getting the supplier discount they are waiting for me to get another certificate from the uncle that gave me the first one. Then they will rewrite the contract with a better interest rate and properly applied incentives and the goodwill customer appreciation discount.

So, I'm still driving it for the time being....hopefully, I get to keep it and wind up with a fair contract. I feel like an idiot for letting this happen.

Last edited:
Omnivore: I just installed a CAGS Eliminator (skip-shift eliminator) on my V Wagon. Got it from Eckler's Corvette Parts catalog. That's right - a Corvette place.

Seems that the "eliminator" for the C5 and C6 Corvette also matches the V2. I wasn't sure and I emailed several Corvette places asking the question if the Corvette eliminator also worked on the V2. Got a lot of answers but mostly "NO" or "we don't know, we never tried".

Since I just got a new Corvette and I wanted an eliminator for it, I ordered 2. I put the V Wagon on ramps yesterday afternoon and disconnected the skip-shift connector from the trans and the eliminator matched the plug-in. I installed the Corvette eliminator. It works.

Put the Vette on the ramps also and installed the second one there - it works also.

I still get the 1->4 light on the Vette but it shifts straight to second.

So, order a CAGS Eliminator for a C6 Corvette and put it in.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back