Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V engine surge / "porpoising"

CT5-V Model
@Ergoc5 What indy shop do you use which you referenced in your wheel/tire post on General Discussions?

Anyone had the TSB recall done for the engine surging issue and did it resolve it? like I mentioned in the other post I have that issue but the dealer cannot reproduce it. I am living with it right now since it happens 1 out of every 4 times I drive it. I was just wondering if the TSB solved the issue with anyone

For those of you with this problem and your dealer is unable to get it resolved, I have a good feeling we could diagnose and resolve this for you now that custom tuning is available.

Just bumping this to see if anyone had this issue resolved at the dealer. I am living eotj it happening every once in a while after the. at sits for s few days

I put this in the other thread about engine surging ...I had the TSB work done at the dealer with GM's help but unfortunately it did not resolve the issue. It felt like it did in the beginning but now I am feeling it more frequently. I have a feeling this is something else (I was told it could be part of the tune). Not sure if GM or the dealer can do anything about it now,. I might have to explore ways to tune this out if it is tune related but I don't want to do that.

Sorry to keep bringing this up but my car is still bucking like a bronco after the TSB fix....this time it happened after I had parked the car for an hour or so. Temp was at 160 and it did the same thing at part throttle and lower rpm. Not sure what to do about this......I don't want to go down the "lemon" part....situation doesn't warrant that. Anyone had the issue completely resolved either after the TSB or some other method?

Maybe about 6k miles ago, I bought and installed the Mamo Motorsports larger throttle body. The surging went away. Maybe about 500 miles ago, it started happening again.

I figure I'll just deal with it from now on. Last week, I took the car in for an oil change and I considered mentioning the issue to them, but decided not to. I wasn't confident they'd fix the issue, and was more confident it would give someone the chance to go joy riding in my car.

Maybe about 6k miles ago, I bought and installed the Mamo Motorsports larger throttle body. The surging went away. Maybe about 500 miles ago, it started happening again.

I figure I'll just deal with it from now on. Last week, I took the car in for an oil change and I considered mentioning the issue to them, but decided not to. I wasn't confident they'd fix the issue, and was more confident it would give someone the chance to go joy riding in my car.
I know some of the C7 Z06 guys did the Nick Williams TB back in the day but it may not have been the same issue? There was discussion around engine hesitation in the C7 Z06 back then.

Last edited:
There are folks on the FB Blackwing pages with the same issue.....a couple of them are initiating the process to lemon law their cars

There are folks on the FB Blackwing pages with the same issue.....a couple of them are initiating the process to lemon law their cars
That seems extreme, though if it comes to that, Cadillac will probably make an effort to figure it out.

I dont know your car in particular, but i would suggest driving the car, and being a little careful to avoid the known issue- part throttle under mild to moderate load while the engine water temp is below 180. (driving up a hill/incline is typical) I don't drive my car aggressively until it is warmed up, but it is not hard to mostly avoid this engine situation. There was a time I was very frustrated, but now it doesnt phase me.
I felt the most predictable way to get myself all worked up about it, would be to try to have the dealership sort it out. even though my local dealership is generally nice, the general dealership protocol for any manufacturer these days seems to be:
leave the car with us for a few days
we will drive it around, likely with stereo blasting.
we may leave it running or idling in our driveway for hours while we do other stuff.
we might beat up your clutch a bit since not all of us are good at manual trans
we might take it home for the night
we will not be able to replicate your problem
we will give it a nice wash with our dirty towels before you pick it up.

I dont know your car in particular, but i would suggest driving the car, and being a little careful to avoid the known issue- part throttle under mild to moderate load while the engine water temp is below 180. (driving up a hill/incline is typical) I don't drive my car aggressively until it is warmed up, but it is not hard to mostly avoid this engine situation. There was a time I was very frustrated, but now it doesnt phase me.
I felt the most predictable way to get myself all worked up about it, would be to try to have the dealership sort it out. even though my local dealership is generally nice, the general dealership protocol for any manufacturer these days seems to be:
leave the car with us for a few days
we will drive it around, likely with stereo blasting.
we may leave it running or idling in our driveway for hours while we do other stuff.
we might beat up your clutch a bit since not all of us are good at manual trans
we might take it home for the night
we will not be able to replicate your problem
we will give it a nice wash with our dirty towels before you pick it up.
I hear you ...I am driving around it right now. My frustration stems from having the TSB fix done after jumping through hoops with no resolution to the problem. It sounds like GM/Cadillac doesn't have a solution for it either.

This morning, I actually experienced it going downhill. Oil temp was 160 (not sure what water temp was since I don't have that one displayed). 5th gear, ~1800rpm

This morning, I actually experienced it going downhill. Oil temp was 160 (not sure what water temp was since I don't have that one displayed). 5th gear, ~1800rpm
Was this after the car was driven and parked for a bit? Yeah I am monitoring oil temps as well.

Nope, previously was in the garage overnight. Ambient temp in the garage was probably ~50. Ambient temp outside was ~35.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back