Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

JB4 Validation and Test Results on CT4-V Blackwing

WONT TAP

Seasoned Member
Supporting Vendor
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2016 ATS-V A8, 2018 ATS-V M6, 2022 CT4-V Blackwing A10
Today we tested the JB4 tuner beta unit on a 2022 CT4-V Blackwing M6, carefully and methodically experimenting with all the various calibration maps and custom fuel bias settings. In summary, this product works, and it works very well!

Four baseline dyno runs varied from 399 to 407 whp. Final numbers were 490 whp, for an impressive 83 whp boost in power. These are huge gains for a car with zero mods! However, due to the increased boost, we expect this car will start misfiring under load within a few hundred miles. At that point, we will recommend colder spark plugs, with smaller gaps, installed using plenty of dielectric grease in the coil boot ends.

Boost curve and powerband were very smooth and broad. Fueling was identical to stock. There was zero electronic throttle closing and no codes set in several hours of dyno testing.

We are working with JB4 to further refine and improve this product. At that point, we intend to revise our CT4-V Blackwing White and Blue Belt Performance Packages to incorporate the JB4 instead of the DCM. This will bring the prices down substantially, making it much more affordable for everyone to beef up their CT4-V Blackwing powerbands.

Special thanks to Terry Burger for working with us to test, validate and fine tune his product, and Chuck Gutscher for volunteering his beautiful car.

Chuck Gutscher - 490 whp.png

Last edited:
Could the jb4 be used to tune it for maybe a 50-60hp increase and not have to worry about the colder plugs?
Yes, we are working with them to create some new maps based on what we learned in our testing. We'll have these on our website next week for you guys. :)

I assume your using 93oct for these runs?
Yes, that's correct. We'll be producing 91, 93 and high octane maps, in addition to some ethanol based ones as well. WIth our in house dynamometer, we can do this right the first time without playing guessing games and/or putting your engine at risk.

Will you be developing anything for the CT5-V blackwing?
We are trying to purchase a used one from Spring Mountain right now. If we can get one in house, we will go all the way with it. :)

We are trying to purchase a used one from Spring Mountain right now. If we can get one in house, we will go all the way with it. :)
Excellent! I'd love to see something developed for E85 or Ethanol blend. Just wonder how much head room is in the stock fuel system to support that on the 5.

This is intriguing. I'd be happy with 50-60 hp and not worrying about new plugs.

How is the install of the JB4? Pretty straight forward? For warranty work, can you just unplug and go back to stock and no one would know for the better? That's the only thing I would be hesitant about.

I've had tuned cars (Evo 8 and my current yukon denali), but they've all been out of warranty so I didn't really care.

This is intriguing. I'd be happy with 50-60 hp and not worrying about new plugs.

How is the install of the JB4? Pretty straight forward? For warranty work, can you just unplug and go back to stock and no one would know for the better? That's the only thing I would be hesitant about.

I've had tuned cars (Evo 8 and my current yukon denali), but they've all been out of warranty so I didn't really care.
Probably depends on what you're getting warrantied.

Not sure how Cadillac dealers work, but JB4 is most famous on BMW's. And BMW dealer software is very sophisticated now. It detects piggyback and flash tunes, and BMW NA has sent letters voiding your power/drivetrain warranty. This is totally dependent on if Cadillac has that capability.

As always, the famous 3 words: pay to play. :)

Probably depends on what you're getting warrantied.

Not sure how Cadillac dealers work, but JB4 is most famous on BMW's. And BMW dealer software is very sophisticated now. It detects piggyback and flash tunes, and BMW NA has sent letters voiding your power/drivetrain warranty. This is totally dependent on if Cadillac has that capability.

As always, the famous 3 words: pay to play. :)
This is about as true as can be, if the dealer can get away with fixing something they most likely will. If Cadillac steps in and the damage is a direct result of the aggressive tuning then you will be responsible for the repair if (Cadillac) they determine it was bc of a modification. Now some people will get away with having a tune and some may not, this is where the controversy arises about this whole topic bc just as many people get away with it vs as many that are caught. The other part of the tuning controversy comes from piggyback vs ecm tuning but with the global platform being as secure as Fort Knox we won’t be seeing any ecm tuning any time soon.

The cool thing I like with this jb4 situation is that @WONT TAP did some dyno tuning with the jb4 and will be offering some guidance for settings etc. which adds some peace of mind. Plus BMS will review your logs any time on their forum and via customer service email.

The first production batch of JB4s (covering preorders #12147 through 12184) was ordered October 7, shipped to us October 13, is scheduled to arrive October 20 and will be shipped to customers on October 21.

The second production batch (covering preorders #12187 and newer) was ordered October 12, should be shipped to us October 17, arrive October 24 and be shipped to customers October 25.

I saw there is an installation guide on the Tapout website which looks pretty easy. This is definitely high up on my list for early next year.

When ordering this, is it coming with a preloaded tune from Tapout for the LF4? Or a generic tune from JB4? So if I'm looking for 50-60 hp instead of the 80+ (to avoid new spark plugs and not push too hard), does it come loaded with that or I have to configure the tune myself?

I'm coming from custom ECM tunes on prior cars so not sure how this plug and play works for setting it up for a specific car.

When ordering this, is it coming with a preloaded tune from Tapout for the LF4? Or a generic tune from JB4? So if I'm looking for 50-60 hp instead of the 80+ (to avoid new spark plugs and not push too hard), does it come loaded with that or I have to configure the tune myself?
Yes, we will four provide separate calibration maps, ranging from 440 to 515 whp.

Last edited:

I just finished installing my tuner this evening. Approximate time start to finish was 30-35 mins. Hardest part for me was getting my hand between the firewall and the back of the intake manifold when removing and reconnecting the TMAP / MAP sensors. Once you’ve got those swapped as the directions call for, the rest is a breeze. First connection via mobile app to the tuner was under 30 secs for both to “handshake” & pair.
Only things I’ve installed so far are the green HP air filters, RR12S plugs & this tuner.(Gigs throttle body & downpipes are next on my list)
HUGE difference compared to stock. Drove it around the block & one highway pull in Map 1 reaching almost 18 pounds of boost via mobile app (10% fuel bias for 91 octane fuel produces ~ 460 whp) Currently running 93 octane from my local gas station.

First take away from the 10 minute test drive.
It’ll break the tires loose in 2nd around 40-45mphs when the rpm’s / boost rack up. Second take away, highly, highly suggest running this setup considering the ease of install and amount of gained power in less than a couple hours for all 3 items mentioned above. Last take away, I get the feeling my mpg are about to drop significantly😂

Scott & everyone at Tapout - Thank you guys for supplying such great products. This is just what these cars need!👊🏻

Since it's been a little bit now, what are the approximate whp numbers for 91/93/e30 maps?

Since it's been a little bit now, what are the approximate whp numbers for 91/93/e30 maps?
Copy and pasting the info from Scott’s email after purchasing the tuner + other parts.
  • Map 0 with 20% fuel bias is listed as ‘factory tuning’, but that’s not correct. It will increase power to ~ 440 whp on these cars.
  • Map 1 with 10% fuel bias for 91 octane fuel produces ~ 460 whp White Belt to 485 whp Blue Belt (Map I did the test run in tonight after install)
  • Map 1 with 15% fuel bias for 92 octane fuel produces ~ 475 whp White Belt to 500 whp Blue Belt
  • Map 1 with 20% fuel bias for 93 octane fuel produces ~ 490 whp White Belt to 515 whp Blue Belt
  • Map 2 with 20% fuel bias has an ugly boost hump at 5,100 rpm, and is not recommended for use at this time.

@Hdixon46-559
I would love to see some photos of your install, where you placed the tuner, how you ran the wires. Did you also run the cable from the OBD2 port thought the firewall? Itching to pull the trigger on the full monty bluebelt, glad to see you posted the numbers with 91 OCT, thats all I can get out here, ~480 WHP is awesome!

I just finished installing my tuner this evening. Approximate time start to finish was 30-35 mins. Hardest part for me was getting my hand between the firewall and the back of the intake manifold when removing and reconnecting the TMAP / MAP sensors. Once you’ve got those swapped as the directions call for, the rest is a breeze. First connection via mobile app to the tuner was under 30 secs for both to “handshake” & pair.
Only things I’ve installed so far are the green HP air filters, RR12S plugs & this tuner.(Gigs throttle body & downpipes are next on my list)
HUGE difference compared to stock. Drove it around the block & one highway pull in Map 1 reaching almost 18 pounds of boost via mobile app (10% fuel bias for 91 octane fuel produces ~ 460 whp) Currently running 93 octane from my local gas station.

First take away from the 10 minute test drive.
It’ll break the tires loose in 2nd around 40-45mphs when the rpm’s / boost rack up. Second take away, highly, highly suggest running this setup considering the ease of install and amount of gained power in less than a couple hours for all 3 items mentioned above. Last take away, I get the feeling my mpg are about to drop significantly😂

Scott & everyone at Tapout - Thank you guys for supplying such great products. This is just what these cars need!👊🏻
What's your experience with the green filters? Did it change induction noises at all, throttle response?

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back