Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Low oil warning light

Jpjr

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT5V Blackwing
My 5vBW is sitting around 4300 miles, changed oil after break-in once. I’m right around due for another one but she was down a quart of oil. Topped her off and not a major cause for concern but wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Did the low oil warning light go on when you were down a quart?

Or do they do it like BMW does (or did)? Warn you to pull over immediately, your oil is low. Why bother having an automatic sensing system if it waits to tell you until it's critical??

Or do they do it like BMW does (or did)? Warn you to pull over immediately, your oil is low. Why bother having an automatic sensing system if it waits to tell you until it's critical??
Audi does the same thing.

Audi does the same thing.
My S6 burns oil, but warns me before I need to pull over. I believe the warning specifically says that it's still safe to drive, but I need to add oil (plus has a digital meter of oil level that I can check on my display... just have to turn the car off first)

My S6 burns oil, but warns me before I need to pull over. I believe the warning specifically says that it's still safe to drive, but I need to add oil (plus has a digital meter of oil level that I can check on my display... just have to turn the car off first)
I have a 2018 S6 and it has never burned any oil but my 2016 S4 had a hood sensor (yes) go bad that reported a low oil situation and gave some dire warning. It took the dealership two visits to figure out that it was a hood latch sensor that had gone bad and it was not low on oil. Love the Germans doing away with dip sticks.

My V2 with the LSA motor would burn oil, generally speaking I'd have to add half a quart in between services. Does the BW still have a dip stick? I actually got into the habit of checking the oil weekly the 'old fashioned' way.

My V2 with the LSA motor would burn oil, generally speaking I'd have to add half a quart in between services. Does the BW still have a dip stick? I actually got into the habit of checking the oil weekly the 'old fashioned' way.
It did warn me while the car was safe to drive. Pressure remained well and adequate. And yes there is a dipstick.

Once I topped it off the light went away. There are no visible leaks either. I’ll ask the dealer about it and report back.

It did warn me while the car was safe to drive. Pressure remained well and adequate. And yes there is a dipstick.

Once I topped it off the light went away. There are no visible leaks either. I’ll ask the dealer about it and report back.
Out of curiosity, how much did you need to add to top it off?

Was oil still showing on the dipstick at that point? I know you said you added a quart...

I have a 2018 S6 and it has never burned any oil but my 2016 S4 had a hood sensor (yes) go bad that reported a low oil situation and gave some dire warning. It took the dealership two visits to figure out that it was a hood latch sensor that had gone bad and it was not low on oil. Love the Germans doing away with dip sticks.
I have a dip stickless M3 that consumes oil...and of course it's BMW-specific M-only oil...

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back