Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

I think I'm the first - Time for buy back?

strohw

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
CT4-BW
I started the procedures today to perform a buy back. Wasn't sure if I was going to post this but I figured I may as well just in case someone has similar issues in the future. I may not even move forward with it but Michigan requires that I contact them and have them make one final attempt.

In the last 3 months I have had use of my car for just under 2 weeks. Short summary is:

-CE light comes on and I take it to dealer. They say it's nothing and clear it
-CE light comes on again a couple days later. I make the earliest appointment I can which is the following week. A couple days before appointment my car goes into limp mode with traction control, stability control, rev match, etc all turn off.
-Dealer scans it and says it needs a HPFP. They order the part and car goes in just over 1 week later.
-Car is at dealer to install HPFP but they scan it again and now they say GM wants them to replace the ECM instead of the HPFP.
-It takes 7 weeks to get the ECM and another week to schedule to get the car in for a total of 8 weeks. They replace the ECM and I drive the car .5 miles and it does it all over again.
-Take the car back to them the next morning and they can't get me in for another week. 1 week goes by and they replace the HPFP and regulator.
-Have the car 1.5 weeks and it did it again 70 miles from my house. So I had to drive in limp mode all the way back to drop it off.

In the end I've made 3 months worth of payments for a car I've used just under 2 weeks. On top of that I kept my wife's Sonata lease which we were going to turn in and I've been driving that.

I started the procedures today to perform a buy back. Wasn't sure if I was going to post this but I figured I may as well just in case someone has similar issues in the future. I may not even move forward with it but Michigan requires that I contact them and have them make one final attempt.

In the last 3 months I have had use of my car for just under 2 weeks. Short summary is:

-CE light comes on and I take it to dealer. They say it's nothing and clear it
-CE light comes on again a couple days later. I make the earliest appointment I can which is the following week. A couple days before appointment my car goes into limp mode with traction control, stability control, rev match, etc all turn off.
-Dealer scans it and says it needs a HPFP. They order the part and car goes in just over 1 week later.
-Car is at dealer to install HPFP but they scan it again and now they say GM wants them to replace the ECM instead of the HPFP.
-It takes 7 weeks to get the ECM and another week to schedule to get the car in for a total of 8 weeks. They replace the ECM and I drive the car .5 miles and it does it all over again.
-Take the car back to them the next morning and they can't get me in for another week. 1 week goes by and they replace the HPFP and regulator.
-Have the car 1.5 weeks and it did it again 70 miles from my house. So I had to drive in limp mode all the way back to drop it off.

In the end I've made 3 months worth of payments for a car I've used just under 2 weeks. On top of that I kept my wife's Sonata lease which we were going to turn in and I've been driving that.
They should at least get you a loaner... but I think because it has been out of commission more than 30 days, it's clearly a lemon and should be replaced under the Michigan lemon law.

And I thought that I had it bad when mine was in for 2 weeks after I first received it and immediately got a CEL. I would have gotten a lemon law attorney involved right from the beginning (I did) and demanded a loaner as well. I'm really sorry that your experience went this way.

Wow, that stinks. Definitely a lemon. Hopefully GM can find a root-cause for CEL that it looks like 2 people here have had.

The only CE light I ever got was when it was at the detailers. After driving it home, the light came, so I started checking everything and noticed the battery was low, so I put it on the charger and once it was fully charged, the light went out and never came back on. I thought after driving it home would have charged it enough but apparently not. I think these cars are very sensitive to a low charge.

The only CE light I ever got was when it was at the detailers. After driving it home, the light came, so I started checking everything and noticed the battery was low, so I put it on the charger and once it was fully charged, the light went out and never came back on. I thought after driving it home would have charged it enough but apparently not. I think these cars are very sensitive to a low charge.
i wonder if sitting around the lot for months pre-delivery has any negative consequence to the battery et al?

i wonder if sitting around the lot for months pre-delivery has any negative consequence to the battery et al?
It probably does, especially in cold weather. I think I made my situation worse by checking the location of my car 20 times a day to make sure they didn't take my car out on the road while they were doing the ppf. :oops:

^^^THIS^^^

Sorry to hear about all your problems.

Wondering if you happen to know what DTCs were triggered when the Check Engine light came on?

Dont even piss around. Contact an attorney that handles this and go for it. GM should pay for the attorney fees as long as you meet the criteria.
I had to LL a F150 once and it wasnt difficult as long as you kept good records of every service appt and how long they kept the car.

They didn't give you a loaner? WTF? Did they even offer one?

We had a similar situation with our BMW i3 that had constant, recurring problems with less than 4k miles, even after being "fixed" several times. It was at the dealer for a total of 44 days, which is more than a trigger for lemon law here in NJ. We wrote them a letter of our intent to pursue a buy back, and then was given a check from BMW for $2k as a good will gesture. The dealer fixed the car and it has been ok since. We were given a 3-series to drive the entire time the car was at the dealer.

You should decide for yourself if you want the car or not. If not, read your state law and follow the process...you really shouldn't need an attorney. If so, go through the motions but make it clear you are willing to come to an agreement, which should include compensation for your time. Or if you don't want to deal with anything yourself, by all means call an attorney.

Document the car so no one here buys it.

I had the same issue with the HPFP after about two weeks. Dealer diagnosed it, got the replacement part Fedex'd a day later and I was back on the road in two days. No issues since.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back