Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Yet another Newbie joins the fold!

Doobster6

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2004 Cadillac CTS-V
Hi all,

Finally found a super clean, unmodified/unmolested V and picked it up last week. She's a beautiful silver over light neutral '04 with 48k miles in pristine condition. I've been a car enthusiast for 50 of my 58 years and had been driving all manner of German iron now for over twelve years, but that's likely to be over now. Actually the high maintenance and repair cost of German iron (3 Bimmers, 5 Audis, 1 Benz) had finally broken me and I had succumbed, in a fit of emotional distress, to buying an Infiniti G35x two years ago. Filled with technology and unexpectedly fast (in a straight line anyway) it didn't really offer everyday driving enjoyment and my eyes went wanderin'. I've been wondering about the V's since they came out but didn't really believe that Detroit (and certainly not Cadillac) would ever be capable of ever building anything I'd really like. Well, one decent drive in this V settled all that. Only a week prior had I test driven a clean '03 M5 but this V absolutely had me at hello! I know I'm preaching to the choir here but GM's idea of blending old-school (but modernized) pushrod V8 muscle with a modern, stylish and refined chassis absolutely hits it on the mark for those of us who grew up with all those cars in the 60's and 70's. It's only been one week now but I absolutely LOVE this car, how it corners, how it rides, how it rockets forward under the slightest provocation and especially how it sounds when you step into it a bit. I can't imagine wanting anything else. What else can top this, especially for the short money needed to get one of these early V's?
Now then other forum members, what can I expect going forward? I will tell you that while I enjoy driving these kinds or cars I remain a faithful follower of my Dad's early advice: 'respect machinery' and 'don't abuse it', were the watchwords of that crusty old tool and die maker. In fact, I decided on this particular 'like-new' first-year V despite all the internet tales of rear diff failures because I'm certain my driving style won't precipitate any sort of hard use or abusive failures. The motorheads at work tell me I 'baby' my cars and they're probably right. So then, are these cars reliable if treated well? It looks like a Brembo brake job, when one comes due, is gonna hurt like an M5. Any other gremlins lurking in the weeds? I was disappointed to find that my CD changer doesn't work and so it's got to go back to the dealer to get that made right (I bought a warranty 'just in case'!).
Anyway, glad to be aboard. This looks like a pretty good forum and I'm looking forward to learning everything I can about this car!! :rocker:

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

I owned a V1 from early in 2004. 7 years and 55K miles. I loved that car and didn't sell it until Caddy came out with the V2 Wagon. Sounds like you found a good one.

Hi all,
Now then other forum members, what can I expect going forward? I will tell you that while I enjoy driving these kinds or cars I remain a faithful follower of my Dad's early advice: 'respect machinery' and 'don't abuse it', were the watchwords of that crusty old tool and die maker. In fact, I decided on this particular 'like-new' first-year V despite all the internet tales of rear diff failures because I'm certain my driving style won't precipitate any sort of hard use or abusive failures. The motorheads at work tell me I 'baby' my cars and they're probably right. So then, are these cars reliable if treated well? It looks like a Brembo brake job, when one comes due, is gonna hurt like an M5. Any other gremlins lurking in the weeds? I was disappointed to find that my CD changer doesn't work and so it's got to go back to the dealer to get that made right (I bought a warranty 'just in case'!).
Anyway, glad to be aboard. This looks like a pretty good forum and I'm looking forward to learning everything I can about this car!! :rocker:

I didn't baby mine and I did have a couple of issues with it that you might want to pay attention to:

1. Wheel hop - This is what breaks the diff in many cases. The OEM SuperCar tires seemed to have a bit too much bite for the diff/axles/spring setup and caused hop during hard launches and power shifts to second. I learned not to do that. When I installed Goodyear F1 D3 EMT tires, (less bite but better in the rain), I lost a most of the wheel hop issue. I understand that changing to half shafts out to aftermarket ones that have different diameters eliminates a lot of this also. GM made a rear chassis stiffener that helped also but also made the rear even stiffer than the CTS V1 already is. I never made any changes to my V1 except to install different tires.

2. Rear Diff bushing - this is the one that holds the front of the pumpkin in place. After 5-6 years and some pretty spirited driving, this bushing wears out and the rear end starts to make a "thunk" noise when shifting or just getting in and out of the throttle. The pumpkin starts to rotate in the cradle and thunks. Bushing is relatively cheap but the labor to install it isn't. If you start getting a thunk in the rear, have this bushing checked out.

Also: Given the stiff suspension on the CTS V1, have the alignment checked pretty regularly. Saves buying new and expensive tires for it.

I drove my V1 hard and had a lot of fun with it (My V2 gets similar "fun" driving). We even did an open road run in it a few years ago. Averaged 110 for over an hour. No problems - it likes to go fast.

Again, welcome to the V-Net.

Welcome and congrats on your purchase! Glad you found a good one. If this V1 gets your your blood pumping, wait til you get behind the wheel of a V2!!! Many more 'upgrades' and a truely great car to drive!! Gm is knocking on the door to beating the Europeons at their own game. Cadillac is building some fine vehicles to date. Hopefully they stay focused with their lineup to reach the 'top of the hill'.

Hi all,

Finally found a super clean, unmodified/unmolested V and picked it up last week. She's a beautiful silver over light neutral '04 with 48k miles in pristine condition. I've been a car enthusiast for 50 of my 58 years and had been driving all manner of German iron now for over twelve years, but that's likely to be over now. Actually the high maintenance and repair cost of German iron (3 Bimmers, 5 Audis, 1 Benz) had finally broken me and I had succumbed, in a fit of emotional distress, to buying an Infiniti G35x two years ago. Filled with technology and unexpectedly fast (in a straight line anyway) it didn't really offer everyday driving enjoyment and my eyes went wanderin'. I've been wondering about the V's since they came out but didn't really believe that Detroit (and certainly not Cadillac) would ever be capable of ever building anything I'd really like. Well, one decent drive in this V settled all that. Only a week prior had I test driven a clean '03 M5 but this V absolutely had me at hello! I know I'm preaching to the choir here but GM's idea of blending old-school (but modernized) pushrod V8 muscle with a modern, stylish and refined chassis absolutely hits it on the mark for those of us who grew up with all those cars in the 60's and 70's. It's only been one week now but I absolutely LOVE this car, how it corners, how it rides, how it rockets forward under the slightest provocation and especially how it sounds when you step into it a bit. I can't imagine wanting anything else. What else can top this, especially for the short money needed to get one of these early V's?

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back