Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT4-V What Don't You Like About Your CT4-V Blackwing

Cadillac CT4-V model
Agree on the door handles being tacky. Additionally, they have a lot of angles on them, as it not rounded. This is key to know for anyone trying to wrap their car. I put a stealth wrap on my infrared tint coat, looks AMAZING, however the wrap doesn't stick to those ugly handles. I went with CF door handle covers as a fix. Looks ok but not 💯
After the initial problems with mine, it's been smooth sailing. Both my wife (it's her daily) & I really enjoy it. If I had 1 nit to pick, it would be with the door handles. They're unsightly! They don't fit in with the overall design of the car. Those of you who got the 5 BWs are lucky as they have nicely designed door handles.

Comments about the 4 BW's door handles? Agree or Disagree?

Other nits to pick or, perhaps larger issues that you don't

So there is this noise that comes from the drivers front suspension area when it's cold out and you turn the steering wheel a bit. Not a brake thing because it's only when the wheel is turning and you are rolling forward and off the breaks. Amd not a fitment thing vecaise it's not even remotely close to full lock.

It's really hard to describe but the dealer has inspected the car 3 times and is saying it is cold components and nothing materially wrong with the car, perfectly "normal".
Then again they can't reproduce the sound because I have to drive 15 miles to get there and the car is warm by the time I get there.

Anyone else have this on their BW, or any other car for that matter?

Agree on the door handles being tacky. Additionally, they have a lot of angles on them, as it not rounded. This is key to know for anyone trying to wrap their car. I put a stealth wrap on my infrared tint coat, looks AMAZING, however the wrap doesn't stick to those ugly handles. I went with CF door handle covers as a fix. Looks ok but not 💯
Pictures or it didn't happen😉

Facts but that's what happens with spoiler cars vs wing cars. The low pressure zone is developing right against the car which means low drag, 🤩but all that junk stays on the rear bumper 😱

The areo on these cars are amazing. Truly love the way the design cuts vs pushes through air.
Low pressure on the tail would be drag, not thrust.

Spoilers increase downforce by forcing the streamlines higher over the rear of the car, creating a high pressure region on the deck lid. This also increases drag. The dirt comes from the flow separating at the boat tail creating regions of recirculation behind the car.

Low pressure on the tail would be drag, not thrust.

Spoilers increase downforce by forcing the streamlines higher over the rear of the car, creating a high pressure region on the deck lid. This also increases drag. The dirt comes from the flow separating at the boat tail creating regions of recirculation behind the car.
Correct recirculation zones are classed as low pressure zones as a opposed to laminar flows. All cars develop a low pressure zone as the air flow rushes to fill the void left by the vehicle that was previously occupied that space.

Spoiler cars tend to have more of this recirculation than wing cars but they also tend to create more down force under more conditions. Wings have a narrower efficient velocity window.

Correct recirculation zones are classed as low pressure zones as a opposed to laminar flows. All cars develop a low pressure zone as the air flow rushes to fill the void left by the vehicle that was previously occupied that space.

Spoiler cars tend to have more of this recirculation than wing cars but they also tend to create more down force under more conditions. Wings have a narrower efficient velocity window.

Recirculation zones are low velocity zones, and thus higher static pressure. You've got the right idea but your flipping Bernoulli on his head :)

Nothing past the first few inches of hood on a car is laminar flow, the Reynolds number is just too high. (Re# is easily over a million). You can safely approximate all of the boundary layers as turbulent.

The general public thinks sporty car aero look like this:
image001_csggtb.jpg

But in reality, its much more turbulent, with separated flow and looks like this:
turbuence-car-ansys_gcygpo.gif

Recirculation zones are low velocity zones, and thus higher static pressure. You've got the right idea but your flipping Bernoulli on his head :)

Nothing past the first few inches of hood on a car is laminar flow, the Reynolds number is just too high. (Re# is easily over a million). You can safely approximate all of the boundary layers as turbulent.

View attachment 16395

But in reality, its much more turbulent, with separated flow and looks like this:
View attachment 16396
All you have to do is watch a car at speed driving through a light rain to see it looks much more like the bottom illustration. 🙂

Ok, because I'm not a smart man is all this why the ass end of my 4BW gets real dirty? You guys are talking next level stuff for me...

Classic was right, i was just correcting the aerodynamic definitions a little.

The spoiler creates a greater separation zone behind the car. When dirt is flowing over your car, it has a greater chance of sticking to the back as it swirls around in those slow regions of separation.

If you have ever seen a truck driving down the street in the fall with leaves in the bed, you might have seen the phenomenon at play. The leaves will be swirling all around behind the cab in a region of separation, but not blowing down the street. The same thing happens at the back of your car with dirt. More chances to stick to car.

But in reality ... looks like this:
View attachment 16396

turbuence-car-ansys_gcygpo.gif

If someone can figure out how to build a aftermarket kit that makes this flow visible to onlookers, they are going to get very rich.

It will probably be only a few months before the kits are outlawed. But those few months will be glorious.

May have been mentioned before, but I very much hate the proximity passive entry system. When you approach the car it senses the key fob. You have to press the silver button on the door handle to unlock the car, THEN pull the handle to open the door. If you don't hit the silver button you cannot open the door. Infuriates me, coming from 10+ years of BMW M car where the car senses the key and you simply just pull the door handle to open the door.

I know it's a simple thing but still annoys me, many times I pull the handle and my hand slips off as I didn't hit the silver button first, and I feel stupid doing it.

May have been mentioned before, but I very much hate the proximity passive entry system. When you approach the car it senses the key fob. You have to press the silver button on the door handle to unlock the car, THEN pull the handle to open the door. If you don't hit the silver button you cannot open the door. Infuriates me, coming from 10+ years of BMW M car where the car senses the key and you simply just pull the door handle to open the door.

I know it's a simple thing but still annoys me, many times I pull the handle and my hand slips off as I didn't hit the silver button first, and I feel stupid doing it.
I’m also coming from and M and I like the button to open (nice to know 100% that it’s unlocked) but it’s taking some getting used to. One thing I do miss (unless the car has it and I just haven’t figured it out) is being able to swipe the top of the handle to lock the car.

I’m also coming from and M and I like the button to open (nice to know 100% that it’s unlocked) but it’s taking some getting used to. One thing I do miss (unless the car has it and I just haven’t figured it out) is being able to swipe the top of the handle to lock the car.

I've gotten used to the button press, slight pause before pulling the door open. Passengers, not so much. :) Over time I've come to like it, though.

As for the "swipe to lock" portion of your comment, why bother? Just set it up to lock as you walk away, no action needed on your part.

Only complaints thus far:
1. Lack of sunglasses holder
2. Button on handle to unlock. My RAM spoiled me with the in-handle sensor. Put your hand in, pause, open. So slick. BUT, i do like the walk-away lock feature. Missed that from my SS.

Otherwise this is car is a dream and I love it

View attachment 16395

View attachment 16396
I haven't heard Reynolds number since senior year aerodynamics classes.... excuse me while I seek a therapist to help with the night terrors that just brought back.

I haven't heard Reynolds number since senior year aerodynamics classes.... excuse me while I seek a therapist to help with the night terrors that just brought back.
Aerodynamics class? Damn, I have night terrors about basis math...... Some of you guys are smart as all get out... I'm need to stop posting because of my ignorance!

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back