Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Help! Trouble with Engine Mounts

Need help topic

Carl_Jones

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2004 Cadillac CTS-V
Hello all.

I've packed up my tools for the day but the car is still sitting in the driveway on jacks. I've got the old motor mounts out, but darn it I can't get the new ones back in.

I've got the new mounts bolted on to the top bracket and on the car but simply can't fit the bottom bracket in. No matter what way I turn or pry, they just don't fit.

I think part of my problem may be that I simply haven't jacked the engine up high enough. But I hesitate to lift it anymore because I don't want to bend or stress any fittings or hard lines more than they already are. I have about a half inch between the engine cover and the crossbrace. Should I remove the crossbrace and lift the engine another inch or so? I'm almost certain that would solve my bracket clearance issue, but I'm not sure that wouldn't break a line and cause more problems.

Any input would be great. I'm driving into it again tomorrow so wish me luck.

I just got this car and am trying to take care of it. These mounts REALLY needed to be replaced. They were completely shot.

Attachments

• PXL_20230128_204252569.jpg
    PXL_20230128_204252569.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 78
I'm trying to remember back when I did mine, It was around 2010 or so I think...

I almost want to say you need to unbolt the motor mount bracket from the motor, then install the mount, then bolt the bracket back to the motor, then tighten up the mount. Have you looked online at other install instructions? Most people do aftermarket mounts but the process should be the same. If it matters any, I used poly mounts with heat sheilds made by Creative Steel.

Have you looked online at other install instructions?
Thank you for taking the time to get back to me so quickly.

I've been following what seems to be the most comprehensive tutorial on YouTube step by step for the whole process. He even puts the stock mounts in so clearance should be about the same. Like him, and I think many other people, I've assembled the mounts partially then attempt to re-assemble them in the vehicle. Unfortunately, there's just not enough room between the mount and the floor of the subframe to squeeze the lower bracket in. The video makes it seem like the simplest part.
I've looked at just about every motor mount type out there, lol. Where I am with my finances though, I couldn't get myself to dump $350 on mounts and bought these for about $30 bucks each new from Amazon. I know they'll blow around 30k miles from now, but by then I'll just get the CS Elimivibe ones and call it a day.

Actually, now that I think about it, I've only lifted the front of the car and am wondering if I put the rear up too if it would take some of the pressure off the trans and therefore the engine allowing it to lift up a bit more... It's worth a shot I guess...

I put the rear up too if it would take some of the pressure off the trans and therefore the engine allowing it to lift up a bit more...
Just for anyone out their subject to Google's search engine picking up this very issue, my engine mounts fit after I lifted both the back and front of the car but I also had to grind off about a half inch of the "tooth" on the passenger side bottom bracket. After grinding it off I filed down the edges so they wouldn't be so sharp and fit into its hole nicely. The tooth, as far as I can see, serves no other purpose than for alignment and possibly another point of contact for the bottom mount. It can still serve its purpose by being a quarter inch long and not a full inch which limits maneuverability.
This job took me a day and a half - not that it should have - but it was my first time and I was learning how it wall came apart and then went together. Good luck for anyone else. In hindset, I'd probably go with another set of mounts because they would be more sturdy, last longer, and most are smaller than the stock ones which would grant more clearance.
Also make sure to disconnect the battery before removing top passenger side mount bolt. The starter is right there and metal extensions and starter leads don't go well together. Ask me how I know.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back