Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Stolen CT4- V Blackwing

Without breaking into the car - I don't know how. Personally, I don't really care. I don't have all the specifics of the situation and I'm only relaying what was relayed to me by the detective.

Where the case goes from here - is out of my hands.

Moving on...
Sounds like the cops here have no clue ,if they had to chase the car and found. They can impound it and find out the vin, also how do they know it's stolen if they don't have the vin.
The cops seem like they don't even have a idea what they talking about if they know where the car is they can find its vin seems like alot of this story is missing here.

I'm curious how it was stolen if they ever find out and if there is some new vulnerability we need to be concerned about.

That's a thought that rambled thru my brain a while ago. Are Blackwings going to become like Hellcats and be stolen like crazy? Makes ya wonder
Hope it is okay to revive this older thread.

I'm wondering whether folks have advice on how to best mitigate the risk of theft. At one, naive, point in time I thought that the new keyless technology with immobilizers was foolproof.... Oh boy, after a bit of reading, was I ever wrong. Seems that with some pretty basic equipment, a thief can gain access, start the care and drive off in minutes.

Disabling keyless entry seems to help a bit and/or use of a faraday pouch.. What about a window smash and quick burn of a new key using the diagnostic port though?

Hope it is okay to revive this older thread.

I'm wondering whether folks have advice on how to best mitigate the risk of theft. At one, naive, point in time I thought that the new keyless technology with immobilizers was foolproof.... Oh boy, after a bit of reading, was I ever wrong. Seems that with some pretty basic equipment, a thief can gain access, start the care and drive off in minutes.

Disabling keyless entry seems to help a bit and/or use of a faraday pouch.. What about a window smash and quick burn of a new key using the diagnostic port though?
Is there an easy way to disable the proxy key on GMs? VW has made it super easy. You get out of the car, and instead of just walking away, you press the lock button on the fob, then touch the door handle. Then proxy unlock is totally disabled. The only way to get back in the car is to physically press the unlock button on the fob, or use a physical key. All manufacturers should have something like this.

Edit: it looks like for GMs, you hold the lock and unlock buttons on the fob for 3 seconds, and passive unlocking is disabled.

Here we go again ……
Cool. If this has been discussed already, I would appreciate a pointer or search string so that I can read the thread. I did search and only found this thread and one talking about the key-fob caper. My post is here is off topic I guess.

Is there an easy way to disable the proxy key on GMs? VW has made it super easy. You get out of the car, and instead of just walking away, you press the lock button on the fob, then touch the door handle. Then proxy unlock is totally disabled. The only way to get back in the car is to physically press the unlock button on the fob, or use a physical key. All manufacturers should have something like this.

Edit: it looks like for GMs, you hold the lock and unlock buttons on the fob for 3 seconds, and passive unlocking is disabled.
FYI, the 5BW manual says 4 seconds

1644957260822.png

So, did the local PD that found the car turn it into a new squad? That would be awesome!

So, did the local PD that found the car turn it into a new squad? That would be awesome!
Yes they did, its run by the girl in your avatar. Everyone's cars should be safe now.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back