Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Spring Mountain Impressions

My first trip was in A10, and it was my first time in track with any car. The amt of info you have to suck in is a lot and having a10 was a blessing. I’m going back in Nov and got a manual this time but having the auto initially helped me a lot.

Wouldn't dream of it. If that is what you have, wait for a manual as you will learn a lot.
I’m close to my 1 year in December. How can I wait if my time expires? I heard they can get an extension or something through GM. Anybody now anything about that?

My first trip was in A10, and it was my first time in track with any car. The amt of info you have to suck in is a lot and having a10 was a blessing. I’m going back in Nov and got a manual this time but having the auto initially helped me a lot.
Yeah I agree it’s a lot. I already went once with ATS-V auto and wanted to get the full experience of what I have a home, knowing that I won’t be as good with added shifting duties.

I have a manual, and would have been disappointed to have an auto. But really, on the track I was on you only use 3rd and 4th, and you only use 4th in a couple of spots. So it's not like you're missing out on shifting because you really don't do it much on the track anyway. I think the autos actually shift more because of the tighter gearing. I also don't think there is much to lose on the autox or the other braking and traction sessions either. The one that matters the most would probably be the launch control. But in that case, the launch control for the manual is really simple anyway, and more things to do in the auto. So if you can wait for the manual, do it, but if not you'll probably get the full effect out of the auto.

Yea the autos were the using paddle shifters to go from like 4th through 7th or so. They kept busy. I felt I would have been more distracted in an auto.
For us manual guys it was 3rd and 4th, 2nd was up to us in one or 2 places but after a few laps, I just stayed in 3rd through those areas.

I have to be honest, I understand why they want you to paddle shift the auto. They think you're faster, plus you limit the car to 3rd and 4th except on two of the straights, and the car wants to get to the highest gear asap. Several times I was in 5th. I don't remember upshifting, but I guess I did. I know it slowed me going into the turn as I had to down shift two gears. I would have liked to run in auto mode to compare.

@fmusignac ....you're allowed ONE extension. You must call them and ask. They call GM for approval. They're schedule is so full, don't miss out just because it's an auto. I'd rather take the class with the "wrong" tranny than miss out on the class. See if they can extend you, ask for a manual, but GO!

I have to be honest, I understand why they want you to paddle shift the auto. They think you're faster, plus you limit the car to 3rd and 4th except on two of the straights, and the car wants to get to the highest gear asap. Several times I was in 5th. I don't remember upshifting, but I guess I did. I know it slowed me going into the turn as I had to down shift two gears. I would have liked to run in auto mode to compare.

@fmusignac ....you're allowed ONE extension. You must call them and ask. They call GM for approval. They're schedule is so full, don't miss out just because it's an auto. I'd rather take the class with the "wrong" tranny than miss out on the class. See if they can extend you, ask for a manual, but GO!
Yeah I’m definitely not missing out. Thanks for sharing your take! I would rather have the manual but would also much rather have an auto than no track time. Given their schedule and mine, looks like I just have to get lucky and get one opened up during my scheduled time in October.

Keep in mind they may have someone drop out and create an opening before your scheduled time that was using a manual. But those can be short notice.

Yea the autos were the using paddle shifters to go from like 4th through 7th or so. They kept busy. I felt I would have been more distracted in an auto.
For us manual guys it was 3rd and 4th, 2nd was up to us in one or 2 places but after a few laps, I just stayed in 3rd through those areas.
I know iRacing's not quite the same thing :), but I don't really have much difference between h-pattern and paddle shifting. Shifting with either one just becomes part of the rhythm of running the track.

In Track mode, the transmission should hold lower gears.

Finally found a spot Oct 23-24. Booked airline, car and hotel. Then I get a call that they only have automatics for my date. I really wanted to experience the manual on the track as I live in IA so get little to no opportunity to open it up without jail time. I know I’ll be faster and easier to drive IMO. Has anyone else with a manual at home gone to the driving school on an auto? Weighting my options, there aren’t many, but don’t want to go through all of it and regret it.
I have a manual 5, told I was getting an auto for my dates. I've done a handful of track days and some shifter kart racing some 20+yrs back. I wasn't too fussed about it, in fact figured the auto would give me a chance to focus on my lines and finding the cars capabilities and limits. But when I showed up they had me in a 6MT which was fine, I still wouldn't have minded an auto. It's just another thing you've got to focus on when you're driving at speeds.

In Track mode, the transmission should hold lower gears.

Agreed. IIRC, they run sport mode, and then something within PTM. Track mode would make sense as it holds the gears at a higher rev. I mean, I do and I don't, understand why and what they're doing.

I'll be there 9/29-9/30 if anyone else is going lets meetup!

They usually run in Track with the Sport PTM mode. The use of manual shifting is to keep the cars from automatically holding the high revs - especially in the brutal heat out there. It also eliminates any unsettling from a downshift during a corner.

I once reviewed data from an auto C7 crash at VIR, and in the end the fact that the car downshifted as the driver added throttle past apex caused a spike in torque to the wheels which caused it to step out and sent him off track.

Has anyone else with a manual at home gone to the driving school on an auto?

I own a manual and intentionally booked an auto, simply because I wanted to experience it.

IMHO, the auto-rev matching downshift really makes driving a manual kind of a non-event. And with modern autos having paddle shifters and lockup torque converters, well, the differences between auto and manual are far fewer than they were when I started driving 40-ish years ago.

FWIW, I enjoyed the heck out of the auto.

I have a manual, and would have been disappointed to have an auto. But really, on the track I was on you only use 3rd and 4th, and you only use 4th in a couple of spots. So it's not like you're missing out on shifting because you really don't do it much on the track anyway. I think the autos actually shift more because of the tighter gearing. I also don't think there is much to lose on the autox or the other braking and traction sessions either. The one that matters the most would probably be the launch control. But in that case, the launch control for the manual is really simple anyway, and more things to do in the auto. So if you can wait for the manual, do it, but if not you'll probably get the full effect out of the auto.
I actually ran faster staying in 3rd and not shifting to 4th going down the straight. I only did it after my ride along with the instructor and noticed they didn’t shift and just held 3rd at redline.

What is the stop speed for 3rd gear in CT5 BW? I know I hit around 128-129 in the auto on the long straight away on east track. Can 3rd gear go that high?

What is the stop speed for 3rd gear in CT5 BW? I know I hit around 128-129 in the auto on the long straight away on east track. Can 3rd gear go that high?

No you need to upshift into 4th. He might have been on a different course. 6MTs will hit 131-132 at the end of the straight for the east bowl.

No you need to upshift into 4th. He might have been on a different course. 6MTs will hit 131-132 at the end of the straight for the east bowl.
I was on North and on the longest straight as you go to shift to 4th, you start braking a second later

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back