Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V Second thoughts about using by CT5 BW as a winter car :(

CT5-V Model
We have had up 5 cars at one time but we are both retired and down to two cars. I was given an ultimatum, I would get a set of winter tires for this one. I agree with Soundman414, I bought this to drive and unless it is deep snow, I will be driving it. The up side is that being retired, I don't have to go anywhere most days so in that regard, I am lucky.
My goal is a set of Michelin PS4 All Seasons as it is just the cold and wet weather I need to contend with. If there is a bunch of snow, then we take the wife's Telluride.
FYI - I did drop Tire Rack a note offering to drive up and let them measure the 5BW.
It'll be really interesting if tire rack takes you up on this offer.

There's very limited options in oem (or nearly oem) sizes. Like extremely limited options. If you're willing to step down to 275/35 in the rear you'll get a few more options, but that tire size still is not great as it's 0.5" taller than stock.

That's where getting tire rack involved could be interesting. Maybe with better measurements we might know what our options are. Personally, I'm hesitant to use any tire that's taller. But I'm still holding on to my 275/35r19 konig k-summit chains just in case...

I live in the midwest and have been single car daily driving my whole life. A Subaru BRZ, Genesis G70 and more.

I always put under car spray on. The best one I've found is Blaster Surface Shield. I always get my car washed with underbody once a week. and of course winter tires. Even after 5 years with the BRZ and 3 years with the G70, no rust on the body, and only minimal on the rotors and other mild steel parts.

While I know these are special cars... they are also drivers cars. Similar to 911s, M3's, etc, there are two ethos out there; treat it like a queen and never let it see a bad day, or drive it like you stole it and enjoy every mile, because that's the whole reason you bought it.

I'm in the latter camp. I worked hard for this car, I want to enjoy it as much as I can... and we know in 10 years the car landscape will be completely different and if I want to restore the car because it's become so valuable, then it'll be worth it, but likely not. So I intend on keeping the car as long as is feasible.
Same camp here! Most winter days are dry and relatively salt free here in SE Michigan, no reason to drive something boring instead of the Blackwing. Every sports car I’ve ever had (even my third cars) get winter tires on them to drive on dry winter days. I bought my blackwing to daily drive year round and to do as many track days as my wallet can afford lol, not to let it just sit in a garage and look pretty. I actually just reached out to my tire guy to get some winters on order for me last week….with supply chains current state who knows how long it will take to get them in.

Anyone who uses a ct5 blackwing for a winter car
really should be nuetered. Sticking up for the cars here no offense
*Neutered

Oh give me a fucking break. My Blackwing will be a 4-seasons daily driver. Driving a car in the cold or in the snow doesn't ruin it.

The car works for me, not the other way around.

Which Winter
Same camp here! Most winter days are dry and relatively salt free here in SE Michigan, no reason to drive something boring instead of the Blackwing. Every sports car I’ve ever had (even my third cars) get winter tires on them to drive on dry winter days. I bought my blackwing to daily drive year round and to do as many track days as my wallet can afford lol, not to let it just sit in a garage and look pretty. I actually just reached out to my tire guy to get some winters on order for me last week….with supply chains current state who knows how long it will take to get them in.
Which winter tires are you going with?

I am also in the same boat. Was debating using my Lotus Evora 400 in the winter, as there are actual dedicated factory winter tires for it you can get, but that is not a practical solution. I ended up buying the extended warranty and tire & wheel protection when I got the BW, so I might as well put the miles on this one and enjoy it year round. Currently thinking of just keeping it simple and getting Coopers in OEM size on OEM wheels, as I almost never have to drive anywhere in the snow and they seem fine enough.

Was thinking that this would be my winter car as well but man the car is too nice to expose it to winter conditions here on Long Island...crappy roads, potholes and excess salt on the road (not worried about driving on snow as much). Don't have space in my garage to store it but found a storage place close to me. Only option then would be a cheap winter beater or a cheap lease under $200 per month, but this would result in "explaining to the wife" :). I had to sell my pristine Golf R to help with down payment on the BW but now I have this dilemma.
Hey, look at it this way, car comes with a heated steering wheel for a reason!!!

I'm actually jealous you will get to drive it in the winter, I have other cars to use, it's always been this way as the toys have always been rear wheel drive, however my neighborhood always seems to be last on the plowing list. Couple years ago, I tried to take the GT500 out and never made it to the main road... LOL

Hey, look at it this way, car comes with a heated steering wheel for a reason!!!

I'm actually jealous you will get to drive it in the winter, I have other cars to use, it's always been this way as the toys have always been rear wheel drive, however my neighborhood always seems to be last on the plowing list. Couple years ago, I tried to take the GT500 out and never made it to the main road... LOL
I drove my V2 all through 3 winters here with a set of snows ....so I guess I can do that with the BW

Which Winter

Which winter tires are you going with?

I am also in the same boat. Was debating using my Lotus Evora 400 in the winter, as there are actual dedicated factory winter tires for it you can get, but that is not a practical solution. I ended up buying the extended warranty and tire & wheel protection when I got the BW, so I might as well put the miles on this one and enjoy it year round. Currently thinking of just keeping it simple and getting Coopers in OEM size on OEM wheels, as I almost never have to drive anywhere in the snow and they seem fine enough.
Haven’t decided yet…. I got a list of sizes that worked for the development cars so I gave those to my tire guy and basically said see what you can find. Sottozero II are my plan but we will see. Really bummed Michelin Alpin pa4/5 don’t come in viable sizes. I absolutely loved those tires on my Camaro and 392 charger.

One other thing I am considering if I go all seasons is keeping a set of autosock in the car for insurance in case I ever get stuck in unexpected snow:

AutoSock - AUTOSOCK PASSENGER 830 - AS830 | B2B Distribution Ecommerce | EnterpriStore for Infor ERP SX.e, Facts and Cloudsuite - AutoSock - AutoSock McGee Company / AutoSock. Used these when I lived in Europe where they are somewhat common and they work surprisingly well. Not super durable, but fine for occasional use.
I considered a set of these after an unfortunate incident where our Odyssey got stuck twice within 20ft with its crappy OEM tires. Got a set of cross climates instead, which are surprisingly rated better than many winter tires in the snow. Probably worth it to get a set for the BW just in case the Sottozeros aren't enough.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back