Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V Second thoughts about using by CT5 BW as a winter car :(

CT5-V Model

Ergoc5

Seasoned Member
Was thinking that this would be my winter car as well but man the car is too nice to expose it to winter conditions here on Long Island...crappy roads, potholes and excess salt on the road (not worried about driving on snow as much). Don't have space in my garage to store it but found a storage place close to me. Only option then would be a cheap winter beater or a cheap lease under $200 per month, but this would result in "explaining to the wife" :). I had to sell my pristine Golf R to help with down payment on the BW but now I have this dilemma.

Yeah even if I could get winter tires I have no interest in driving it in the winter. I've seen the videos of CT5 blackwing undersides on lifts. Lots of unprotected little cooling lines and minimal underbody protection. I've had several cars just eventually eaten away by the salt and sand they put up in the northeast here. I'm gonna keep driving the G37x as a winter beater until it dies and they may get another winter beater. Maybe a midsized used truck when the prices are less ridiculous.

I thought about it as well, but in the end I don't think I will because I plan on keeping the car and the snow/salt will just slowly destroy it. That being said I don't also want another car, having 3 is a pain. I think I can do without a vehicle for 4 months of the year, Costco is only a 10min walk from my house anyway.

Was thinking that this would be my winter car as well but man the car is too nice to expose it to winter conditions here on Long Island...crappy roads, potholes and excess salt on the road (not worried about driving on snow as much). Don't have space in my garage to store it but found a storage place close to me. Only option then would be a cheap winter beater or a cheap lease under $200 per month, but this would result in "explaining to the wife" :). I had to sell my pristine Golf R to help with down payment on the BW but now I have this dilemma.
I live in the midwest and have been single car daily driving my whole life. A Subaru BRZ, Genesis G70 and more.

I always put under car spray on. The best one I've found is Blaster Surface Shield. I always get my car washed with underbody once a week. and of course winter tires. Even after 5 years with the BRZ and 3 years with the G70, no rust on the body, and only minimal on the rotors and other mild steel parts.

While I know these are special cars... they are also drivers cars. Similar to 911s, M3's, etc, there are two ethos out there; treat it like a queen and never let it see a bad day, or drive it like you stole it and enjoy every mile, because that's the whole reason you bought it.

I'm in the latter camp. I worked hard for this car, I want to enjoy it as much as I can... and we know in 10 years the car landscape will be completely different and if I want to restore the car because it's become so valuable, then it'll be worth it, but likely not. So I intend on keeping the car as long as is feasible.

Yeah even if I could get winter tires I have no interest in driving it in the winter. I've seen the videos of CT5 blackwing undersides on lifts. Lots of unprotected little cooling lines and minimal underbody protection. I've had several cars just eventually eaten away by the salt and sand they put up in the northeast here. I'm gonna keep driving the G37x as a winter beater until it dies and they may get another winter beater. Maybe a midsized used truck when the prices are less ridiculous.
Yeah this is my issue as well with the salt....they slather it on...maybe get a Jeep Grand Cherokee

I thought about it as well, but in the end I don't think I will because I plan on keeping the car and the snow/salt will just slowly destroy it. That being said I don't also want another car, having 3 is a pain. I think I can do without a vehicle for 4 months of the year, Costco is only a 10min walk from my house anyway.
I might Uber in to work 🤣

We have had up 5 cars at one time but we are both retired and down to two cars. I was given an ultimatum, I would get a set of winter tires for this one. I agree with Soundman414, I bought this to drive and unless it is deep snow, I will be driving it. The up side is that being retired, I don't have to go anywhere most days so in that regard, I am lucky.
My goal is a set of Michelin PS4 All Seasons as it is just the cold and wet weather I need to contend with. If there is a bunch of snow, then we take the wife's Telluride.
FYI - I did drop Tire Rack a note offering to drive up and let them measure the 5BW.

Anyone who uses a ct5 blackwing for a winter car
really should be nuetered. Sticking up for the cars here no offense

Yep, I'm keeping my BW nice and cozy in the garage all winter. I'll probably take it out on nicer days, but it won't see snow/salt. My plan all along was to keep my 08 Yukon Denali rather than trade it in when picking up my BW. First time having 3 cars, but I'm finding it kind of nice. 3 kids, a wife, and dog won't easily fit in the 4BW (I have no plan for my dog to ever go in the BW), so the Denali and wifes minivan is good for that.

Have driven my 30 year old MR2 Turbo many winters, she’s still doing fine.
My personal philosophy is that cars are meant to be driven.

Attachments

• 7E23F7DE-70DC-4127-8225-D6CACA574D4F.jpeg
    7E23F7DE-70DC-4127-8225-D6CACA574D4F.jpeg
    72.8 KB · Views: 59
  • B1BC4021-E811-4952-B104-C24F4CC7378E.jpeg
    B1BC4021-E811-4952-B104-C24F4CC7378E.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 65
Have driven my 30 year old MR2 Turbo many winters, she’s still doing fine.
My personal philosophy is that cars are meant to be driven.
Mind you, given her advanced years, I gave her a break last winter and put winters on the Bullitt. She did fine too, I’d say, as after owning the green beast for two years I’m getting more than I paid for her as a trade in on my BW (should it ever arrive).

Attachments

• 58E228AF-351A-4FEC-BDE6-544B6203D4A8.jpeg
    58E228AF-351A-4FEC-BDE6-544B6203D4A8.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 75
  • EE40BC88-69DD-4D75-8648-ED5C68B57825.jpeg
    EE40BC88-69DD-4D75-8648-ED5C68B57825.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 74
THE post mentioned a state that salts the roads liberally
its a waste of a car and why buy a car thats way to powerful for the road conditions at anytime in
the winter months is all . there are good winter cars and the bw isnt a logical choice

THE post mentioned a state that salts the roads liberally
its a waste of a car and why buy a car thats way to powerful for the road conditions at anytime in
the winter months is all . there are good winter cars and the bw isnt a logical choice
I live in Toronto.
Lots of salt is used on the roads here every winter and sometimes conditions get pretty bad.
But 80% of winter days, there’s no reason not to take a BW or any kind of performance car on the road around here, provided you have the right tires.
As for salt, cars simply don’t rust like they used to.
They just don’t.
My 30 year old MR2 is testament to that; my son’s even older Camry even more so. (He’s young, so not much money for cars, but the old Toyota he bought is Goddamn bulletproof.)
Luckily we’re a multiple car family, so that means I’ve rarely been forced to use any of my performance cars in the very worst weather.
So that makes it easier for me, I guess.
Nevertheless, as for the comment about “waste”: cars like these are fun machines that absolutely can be appreciated any time of year.
They are meant to be driven.
Taken care of, sure, but meant to be driven.
With few exceptions, and our current crazy times temporarily excepted, they eventually just depreciate, anyway.
At best, you can hope to get a car like a BW that is likely to depreciate less and maybe, just maybe, make a very modest return after you consider inflation and if you time things right.
One of the reasons I want one.
But if you’re looking for an investment, there’s better things to invest in than cars.
And I say that as someone who made a modest profit on not only my Bullitt when I traded it in but also on my V-Wagon when I sold that after 5 years and 30,000 miles.
So I say invest in appropriate tires, boys and girls, and drive them.
Drive them and enjoy them, spring, summer, winter, and fall.

Attachments

• 5F0BA79F-8451-4E29-9C59-E19862F9C351.jpeg
    5F0BA79F-8451-4E29-9C59-E19862F9C351.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 70
I live in Toronto.
Lots of salt is used on the roads here every winter and sometimes conditions get pretty bad.
But 80% of winter days, there’s no reason not to take a BW or any kind of performance car on the road around here, provided you have the right tires.
As for salt, cars simply don’t rust like they used to.
They just don’t.
My 30 year old MR2 is testament to that; my son’s even older Camry even more so. (He’s young, so not much money for cars, but the old Toyota he bought is Goddamn bulletproof.)
Luckily we’re a multiple car family, so that means I’ve rarely been forced to use any of my performance cars in the very worst weather.
So that makes it easier for me, I guess.
Nevertheless, as for the comment about “waste”: cars like these are fun machines that absolutely can be appreciated any time of year.
They are meant to be driven.
Taken care of, sure, but meant to be driven.
With few exceptions, and our current crazy times temporarily excepted, they eventually just depreciate, anyway.
At best, you can hope to get a car like a BW that is likely to depreciate less and maybe, just maybe, make a very modest return after you consider inflation and if you time things right.
One of the reasons I want one.
But if you’re looking for an investment, there’s better things to invest in than cars.
And I say that as someone who made a modest profit on not only my Bullitt when I traded it in but also on my V-Wagon when I sold that after 5 years and 30,000 miles.
So I say invest in appropriate tires, boys and girls, and drive them.
Drive them and enjoy them, spring, summer, winter, and fall.
Great post.

Drive the car don't drive the car talk makes me laugh...If you purchase the car drive it the way you want to and enjoy it..... I choose to not drive mine in bad weather and thats just me... I don't have sexy with my wife as much because I'm saving her for the next guy if we divorce, lol....

Last edited:
Well the whole idea got shot down by my wife anyway . 🤣...so it will be snows and undercarriage wash in the winter.
I do regularly take my cars - all of them, including our Mazda CX-5 - to the self serve wash to rinse the salt off the sides and underneath in the wintertime.
Like I said, drive ‘em but take care of them, too.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back