Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Seat Belt Chime Disable

SS_Shooter

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2024 CT5-V Blackwing 6MT
Finally got my CT5 Blackwing!

Question: Does anyone know how to disable the seat belt chime?

There was a way to do it on my previous (2004, 2010) CTS-V's... And there's probably a way to do it on newer Caddy's or other GM cars (new Corvette, Camaro) that will work in the Blackwing.

NOTE: I've posted this for other cars I've purchased over the years, and I always get the expected 'OMG no seatbelt!!!' replies. So, please just don't refrain from the holier-than-you 'oh my god why don't you wanna wear your seatbelt??!?!@?' replies. I'm not trying to tell you how to live your life, so don't preach to me. Also, I don't want the car or the government trying to mandate my decision to wear a seatbelt.

Can you just buckle a dummy clasp?

I have some risky hobbies, such as racing motorcycles, so I'm all about trying to minimize damage to my person anytime I can. I would never drive without a seatbelt or ride without a helmet, but it has nothing to do with being a law. I totally respect libertarian views and want my freedom to choose not to be impinged upon, but my protests generally don't risk reshaping my cranium in the process.

Depends, if it's a 2022 or older or a manual, fastening the seat belt disables the chime. If it's a 2023 or newer automatic you can't put in in gear without fastening the seat belt.

Obviously the OP is a straight line boully cruiser because any real driving with anything reassembling corners in these cars should have him wanting to strap in.

Depends, if it's a 2022 or older or a manual, fastening the seat belt disables the chime. If it's a 2023 or newer automatic you can't put in in gear without fastening the seat belt.

Obviously the OP is a straight line boully cruiser because any real driving with anything reassembling corners in these cars should have him wanting to strap in.
Did they do away with the Buckle to Drive on/off switch for 2023 and above?
My 2022 has it- copied below from my manual below and I have mine turned off.
“The Buckle to Drive feature must be turned ON in the infotainment system to work. See Vehicle Personalization and if equipped, Teen Driver.”

Better to just get the "extenders" I think. Then buckle or not, as you see fit.

I agree with freedom to choose, but who in their right mind doesn't wear a seatbelt?
I don't, not always. When I get close to home, because I pull up to my mailbox and lean out to get the mail. Or I start pulling out of my neighborhood slowly and buckle up within a few blocks. Lots of small moments. FWIW, I always wear my seat belt when driving AND I want that noise permanently out of my life, both things can be true. It was easy to do on my Ford and on other past vehicles, not so easy on my GM (that I know of).

Yikes, another reason to NOT want an automatic!!!

Better to just get the "extenders" I think. Then buckle or not, as you see fit.

I don't, not always. When I get close to home, because I pull up to my mailbox and lean out to get the mail. Or I start pulling out of my neighborhood slowly and buckle up within a few blocks. Lots of small moments. FWIW, I always wear my seat belt when driving AND I want that noise permanently out of my life, both things can be true. It was easy to do on my Ford and on other past vehicles, not so easy on my GM (that I know of).

Yikes, another reason to NOT want an automatic!!!
I also unbuckle a block before I get to my driveway because I never know what I might drive into in my neighborhood, and I do it also out of habit because of my LEO days...

I have a 2023 automatic and I don't find that to be the case.

OP Here. Thanks for the comments.

Update:

- I've tried every older GMC and Cadillac method to disable the chime with no luck. They are all variations of hitting start button, waiting, buckling/unbuckling 3 times, hitting start button again, etc. No dice.

- They say you can unplug the wiring harness that comes off the belt receptacle, which seems to stop the chime for some GM models.

- You may also be able to unplug the seat weight sensor for the driver's seat, but some say that will also disable the airbag.

Evidently, more research is in order.

I agree with freedom to choose, but who in their right mind doesn't wear a seatbelt?
Me! I hate seatbelts! However, I do wear a seatbelt in inclement weather when the probability of an accident is higher than normal.

There is a theory that that seatbelts (and motorcycle helmets) make drivers/riders feel safer, and as such makes them more prone to risk-taking behavior, in reality making them less safe.

Economist Gordon Tullock said that If the government really wanted people to drive safely, they’d mandate a large, metal spike in the middle of each steering wheel. The idea being that drivers would then recognize the risk of the spike and adjust their driving behavior accordingly. It's called the "Tullock Spike" - you can Google it. Maybe the lack of a seatbelt or helmet does the same thing...

I have some risky hobbies, such as racing motorcycles, so I'm all about trying to minimize damage to my person anytime I can. I would never drive without a seatbelt or ride without a helmet, but it has nothing to do with being a law. I totally respect libertarian views and want my freedom to choose not to be impinged upon, but my protests generally don't risk reshaping my cranium in the process.
Ha! I ride motorcycles and race cars as well! Typically, I'll only wear a helmet on my bike if I'm going out to do some serious fast riding - i.e. when the probability of me going down or hitting something is higher than my typical rides.

Of course, I always wear full gear in the race car, but I tend to bang it into other cars and tire walls, and the probability of that behavior continuing is pretty high... So, full safety equipment makes sense in that situation.

You may also be able to unplug the seat weight sensor for the driver's seat, but some say that will also disable the airbag.
Being unbelted and hitting the airbag seems like a great way to break your neck. The airbag relies on the seat belt to keep you in proper alignment.

I always wear my seatbelt, but I wouldn't mind a way to either silence or delay the chime. I usually start my car first and then buckle, so the chime going off right away feels really overzealous to me.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back