Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Satin steel

But. Isn't that just... a tire?
Run flats have very stiff side walls so you can keep driving even if no pressure for a certain distance at low speed (due to puncture). Stop flats are a traditional tire I guess that goes flat and you cant drive car on it without causing damage to wheel and possibly worst. However, they offer some benefits for ride and handling due to more compliant, not as stiff, side wall while at proper pressure.

I guess I've just never seen a regular tire referred to as a "stop flat'- it's just a tire.

I was very impressed with the tire tech presentation when I went to the CTS-V driving event back in 2012, and I can only imagine the advances in the last decade. The explanation of how the bands are layered to enhance the shape and keep the tread from deforming during turn-in was very cool.

The mag ride demo with the syringe of shock fluid was also pretty cool, but it's all about where the rubber meets the road.

Thanks Mirza!

I guess I've just never seen a regular tire referred to as a "stop flat'- it's just a tire.

I was very impressed with the tire tech presentation when I went to the CTS-V driving event back in 2012, and I can only imagine the advances in the last decade. The explanation of how the bands are layered to enhance the shape and keep the tread from deforming during turn-in was very cool.

The mag ride demo with the syringe of shock fluid was also pretty cool, but it's all about where the rubber meets the road.

Thanks Mirza!
Did you read that link that I provided up thread describing the tires? These are going to be some special tires engineered specifically for these cars.

Thanks Mirza!
I agree its strange but meant to be opposite of "run" flat, hence "stop" flat to indicate you cant keep running them while flat.

Yes tire tech is amazing and the new TPC Michellin pilot sport 4S unique to these cars is amazing. In general the 4S is better in so many metrics even in wet than the old pilot sports, and with all our learnings from previous gen V series cars these tires were tuned meticoulosly for the "isolated precision" we focused on so much as a team. Amazing talent on our team and Michellins that I cant describe in a few sentences. Lots more to come on this soon!

MR? Gen 4 now and you will be blown away at what it allowed us to do. Stiffer suspension springs and bars yet more comfortable ride than before. Again, "isolated precision" at its core. The hardware changed a lot see below for details!

I agree its strange but meant to be opposite of "run" flat, hence "stop" flat to indicate you cant keep running them while flat.

Yes tire tech is amazing and the new TPC Michellin pilot sport 4S unique to these cars is amazing. In general the 4S is better in so many metrics even in wet than the old pilot sports, and with all our learnings from previous gen V series cars these tires were tuned meticoulosly for the "isolated precision" we focused on so much as a team. Amazing talent on our team and Michellins that I cant describe in a few sentences. Lots more to come on this soon!

MR? Gen 4 now and you will be blown away at what it allowed us to do. Stiffer suspension springs and bars yet more comfortable ride than before. Again, "isolated precision" at its core. The hardware changed a lot see below for details!

I thought that I was done with Michelin after absolutely hating the PSS. The worst tire for tramlining that I’ve ever experienced. After Hankook and then Bridgestone, I reluctantly went back and got the PS4S and I’m loving them so far.

No run flats. Stop flat means you have to stop car if flat. Trunk has an inflator and seal kit if slight puncture.

satin steel is amazing. Has such an intricate sparkle to it in the sun and at night looks very mean/stealthy. I ordered my car in satin steel originally, and every time I see one now I drool (just like I do every other color I see they all look stunning!!). But I am so weak when I see black cars....
I have been in a white color scheme for the past few years on my vehicles, had originally spec’d the 5 in white until i saw the satin steel, and changed to this. Even on the showroom floor, that color is badass.... as far as black, i had two vettes that color, got tired of it being dirty 10 minutes after i cleaned it... lol

No run flats. Stop flat means you have to stop car if flat. Trunk has an inflator and seal kit if slight puncture.

satin steel is amazing. Has such an intricate sparkle to it in the sun and at night looks very mean/stealthy. I ordered my car in satin steel originally, and every time I see one now I drool (just like I do every other color I see they all look stunning!!). But I am so weak when I see black cars....
Wow!! Never heard of stop flats which does not work for me. So if you get a slight puncture, you have w kit to hopefully seal and inflate it! A major puncture and i have to have the car towed to a repair shop? Thats crap in my opinion. Yes, i know these tires come w some special compound , but run flats would have been the way to go. Can just imagine being up in the mountains getting a blowout or major puncture awaiting a tow truck to show up..... thats why im getting the no extra charge rims, and selling them w the tires that come with them and getting custom rims and same size run flat tires....

Last edited:
These are in fact run flat tires. Dont think there is a donut with either the 4 or 5 With that being said, the stock tires are way to sticky for me. I will be changing out the rims and hopefully get michelin all weather run flats .... i had mixhelin as3+ on my vette, they were awesome
I stand corrected on the run flats....

Wow!! Never heard of stop flats which does not work for me. So if you get a slight puncture, you have w kit to hopefully seal and inflate it! A major puncture and i have to have the car towed to a repair shop? Thats crap in my opinion. Yes, i know these tires come w some special compound , but run flats would have been the way to go. Can just imagine being up in the mountains getting a blowout or major puncture awaiting a tow truck to show up..... thats why im getting the no extra charge rims, and selling them w the tires that come with them and getting custom rims and same size run flat tires....
I hate not having a spare also, but it's the way manufacturers are going... My son drives a 2018 Camaro Hot Wheels addition and after he called me one night at 2:30 in the morning for help I got him one of these for his Camaro...

I hate not having a spare also, but it's the way manufacturers are going... My son drives a 2018 Camaro Hot Wheels addition and after he called me one night at 2:30 in the morning for help I got him one of these for his Camaro...
This is perfect!! Thanks for sharing... i will get one of these and ditch the stop flat stickies....

Did you read that link that I provided up thread describing the tires? These are going to be some special tires engineered specifically for these cars.
I did, and Caddy's been working with Michelin for quite a while to develop platform specific tires.

Not sure if they still do the travelling events, but years ago I attended a Caddy track day down in Houston. One of the 'commercials' we got as part of the track training, went into some detail about how the tires work. One of the coolest parts for me, was how Michelin layers the belts, plies, and lock wedges to help the tire hold a trapezoidal contact patch under side load- resisting the deformation of the center of the tread and the resulting "D-shaped" contact patch.

Can't remember if my SS is Gen 2 or 3 MR, but it's pretty amazing how much difference there is if I go do the same drive in Tour, then again in Perf! And that's with the basic Chevy processing hardware stuffed in a 10-yr old Aussie platform!

I'm having such a hard time deciding between SS and EB. There is no sparkle/pearl effect n EB correct? I'm just worried it will be a little too loud for me in person but EB does seem beautiful.

Eric

No sparkle on EB. The sparkle in the Blaze orange is stunning too.

Blaze with black interior was my safe choice but, I decided to be bold and went with Rift with Sky Cool Gray interior.

Wish I could afford 2- I really want the Blaze with all the CF, bronze brakes and wheels, etc... but my desire to quietly daily drive unnoticed means I'm doing Satin Steel with as few outward indications that this isn't grandpa's Caddy as possible. 🤫

I'm having such a hard time deciding between SS and EB. There is no sparkle/pearl effect n EB correct? I'm just worried it will be a little too loud for me in person but EB does seem beautiful.

Eric
I'm with you. I almost changed from EB back to Wave but then I saw the pictures. I'd really like to see some decent pictures of an EB CT5 as I do worry it will look odd with the bigger car.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back