Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Rock Hit, Undercarriage Damage, What Would you Do?

rubberduck

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
22 CT5V BW Shadow Metallic 6M
I was on a three day scenic driving vacation in the Central Arizona mountain regions and did a good job at avoiding most road obstacles, rocks, ice, deer. But alas my luck ran out and the undercarriage ingested a rock the size of a large grapefruit. It was exactly in the middle of the road and I knew there was a truck behind me that as far as I know had the potential to pass me or rear end me if I came to a complete stop (I was doing around 40mph at the time). The right shoulder was potentially icy and in a split second decided not to cross into the oncoming lane. So I centered up and took the hit. My initial thought was that it didn't look big enough to hit anything underneath. Boy was I wrong and with an incredibly loud serious of bangs the rock got injected from the rear in several pieces. It definitely could have been a lot worse, so I do feel pretty fortunate that it didn't take out the oil pan or any cooling lines leaving me stranded in the mountains.

So my question is simple. Should I repair some or all of these parts? I'm not that worried about the front aluminum skid plate, but more concerned about the transmission brace and the other steel brace toward the rear. Would having these big dents in the exhaust pipes be detrimental in any way? What would you do? I was thinking of taking it to the dealer and getting their opinion and cost estimate. They decide if I should contact my insurance company.

Rock1.jpeg
Rock2.jpeg

Rock3.jpeg
Rock4.jpeg

Wow! Bummer bud of ours had 4 BW hit rock in road as you did looks like same damage,his trans got damaged along with rear end, insurance totaled it!
I was very fortunate as it completely missed hitting any suspension parts, the transmission, oil pan, and diffy. But, I do want to have some of it repaired. I suppose I should tell my insurance company about it. I saved the video and now just need to find the exact moment when it happened. I drove another 350 miles after all this and the car seems normal.

Nothing there concerns me except maybe the exhaust dent. But I am far from an expert on exhaust, maybe it is a non-factor. The other scrapes and dents, I can't imagine those having any detrimental effect on the car. Then again I drive a truck daily, if you don't have any undercarriage carnage, you ain't driving it hard enough ;-)

I'd probably get an assessment from the dealer. Especially, since insurance would likely pay for it.

I cringe thinking about what that felt like. :oops:
X2
Can’t hurt to have it inspected. Doubt the exhaust is an issue.
Best of luck!

I couldn’t imagine the sound when it hit and feeling afterwards wondering about what damage it caused.

I honestly believe the damage is more cosmetic and nothing you show is going to affect the car.

As for the exhaust, I have attached 2 pics I took from my 2017 ZL1 of course with LT4 of how GM bent/squeezed the factory exhaust both sides for ground clearance purposes basically in half. It caused many people to get excited. It was proven later by some exhaust company during testing after cutting those sections and installing non bent pipe replacements of no benefit. I don’t think yours are bent nearly as much to cause an issue. Trying to put your mind at ease about the exhaust portion.

Like you said previously, you missed the many areas that could have been a concern such as oil pan, rear diff, etc. Of course, you could have a dealer look and give an estimate for replacement parts that are most likely on back order for months or supplier constraints…🤬

Attachments

• 84F16140-9C8D-4228-B180-0DC0306CF6C1.jpeg
    84F16140-9C8D-4228-B180-0DC0306CF6C1.jpeg
    594.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 9D3B24AF-1187-4B08-A607-8A3BBD4AC74D.jpeg
    9D3B24AF-1187-4B08-A607-8A3BBD4AC74D.jpeg
    571.4 KB · Views: 89
I'd want the honeycombed piece checked for any possible stress cracks. The dents in the exhaust shouldn't cause any performance problems (though they look ugly, heh). I think it was Engine Masters that beat up a pair of headers and couldn't really tell any performance difference.

I will have the dealer take a look, but it could be several weeks before I can do it. Was wondering if I should at least inform my insurance company now as they may wonder if I report it 3 weeks after it happened.

You look at how BMW makes the current M3/M4 and it is a disaster. Oil cooler up front right behind the lower bumper and virtually no protection for it. Many buy and after market skid plate, and had I kept mine, I absolutely would have. I read multiple posts about guys hitting a rock and doing 25k+ in damage. Looks like the Caddy kicked the rock aside in Arya fashion: "Not Today".
Moves Happy Dance GIF

The aluminum skid plate seems well thought out. It seemed to have deflected the rock enough so that when it bounced back up it hit the honeycomb transmission mount/bracket and not the oil pan. Not hitting the diffy was just pure luck. But, yeah, overall it handled it quite well.

I will have the dealer take a look, but it could be several weeks before I can do it. Was wondering if I should at least inform my insurance company now as they may wonder if I report it 3 weeks after it happened.
FWIW- if you tell insurance company now, they most likely will open up a claim which starts to count against you (been there in the past). I would get an estimate first before contacting insurance and after the estimate, back date a week and say it happen then, “so I got it checked out for any damage and they found some damage and gave me an estimate”

Just a suggestion, but of course whatever make you feel comfortable.

Pic #2 looks to be cracked in middle, seemingly nothing now but who knows down line!

That was my original plan. To first get an inspection and cost estimate by the dealer then contact the insurance company if the repairs are costly. I just wasn’t sure how long I have to report from the accident date. Tried searching for info with no luck. Will try to get an appointment this coming week. My insurance company is pretty good, so I could call them and tell them what happened and say I don’t know the actual damage extent until it’s inspected and don’t want to file a claim at this time.

Calling the insurance company, before getting an inspection from a dealer, is probably the worst idea I’ve read on this thread. Obviously, none of us have any idea what your deductible nor premium is on an annual basis. Nevertheless, it looks like everything is cosmetic, so no reason to replace/repair anything. The aluminum plate did what it was designed for.

That sucks. Sorry to hear.

After reading here and thinking about it, it might be best to get it looked at first. Depending on your relationship with your insurance company, you might still be able to call and talk to your agent. My old agent was pretty good about that. Too bad his rates went through the roof on renewal.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back