Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Road noise

Grainofsand

Seasoned Member
Oh my goodness. The road noise in this car is very noticeable 😁. It must be the wider tires and lack of insulation. Anybody planning on adding some sound deadening material to the interior?

My 4V Blackwing has almost no road noise, very quiet other than my exhaust popping

My 4V Blackwing has almost no road noise, very quiet other than my exhaust popping
Are you on the factory Michelin Pilot Sport 4S? The road noise is most noticeable at highway speeds. Around town it is fine.

Something is wrong if there is a lot of road noise. Almost no road noise even at highway speeds with this car on factory PS4S tires. Likely one of your tires has a bad belt.

I agree with V56 and 565, my factory PS4S are still amazingly quiet with 7-8k miles and 4 track days on them. In fact, they are no louder than the PSAS4 I use for winter. If yours are loud on a variety of pavement surfaces, I’d have them looked at.

My 5BW has noticeable tire noise. My I almost never hear the tires on my other cars. It is not luxury car bank-vault quiet. Road surfaces really impact if its there or not.

If you’re hearing tire noise (and you’re sure there’s nothing wrong with your tires) it’s likely the rear (they’re very wide at 305s) not the fronts. The fronts have acoustical foam to reduce noise at least the correct OEM tpc spec do. Here’s a pic

Attachments

• IMG_3690.png
    IMG_3690.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 105
I had a CTS-V IMSA edition and compared to that, my CT5-V Blackwing has noticeably more tire noise. Besides the tire noise, my only other disappointment is the seats. The Recaro seats in the CTS-V were better in my opinion, anyway.

I've always found the tire nose in my 4BW surprisingly loud. I just assumed it was expected from the high performance tires and I was spoiled by the continental extreme contact dws' I had on my previous car. Following.

As @BlueBird said the surface texture of the road makes a dramatic difference. On smooth surfaces/good pavement the car is nice and quiet, but older backroads with the "alligator skin" texture causes major tire roar. The particular road I was on over the weekend went back and forth between good and bad pavement, so it was like a switch. My wife and I had to quickly change our talking volume to compensate.

Later in the day, when an anticipated U-turn turned into 3-point turn, my wife commented, "a chassis this good comes with some compromise". Indeed, it does.

Y'all must have 3rd world country roads. The cabin noise is great in-town and on the highway. The ANC does its job. I'll have to use my dBA meter on my phone to check and compare to my daily E90. That one definitely has more road noise but nothing too bad either.

Y'all must have 3rd world country roads. The cabin noise is great in-town and on the highway. The ANC does its job. I'll have to use my dBA meter on my phone to check and compare to my daily E90. That one definitely has more road noise but nothing too bad either.
I think the ANC only cancels out engine noise. But I want more of that. Less tire noise.
Of course, want and need are very different. Very minor complaint IMO

I thought OP was kidding..........I think its very quiet. Sure, some road noise creeps in when driving over more gravelly-type asphalt, but overall very quiet.

I pulled the fuse for the stereo/ANC, and also pulled the fuse for the exhaust, and in a short city drive could not really tell any difference.

I thought OP was kidding..........I think its very quiet. Sure, some road noise creeps in when driving over more gravelly-type asphalt, but overall very quiet.

I pulled the fuse for the stereo/ANC, and also pulled the fuse for the exhaust, and in a short city drive could not really tell any difference.

No I have no reason to kid about this. On the highway it almost sounds like it's howling. Almost can't have a normal conversation on the highway. (slight exaggeration)

It is quiet on nice roads, but nice roads are rare. It's also relatively quiet at lower speeds.

Like someone said, maybe it's the tires. Maybe these tires are just kind of crappy when it comes to road noise. My C7 stingray had wider tires in the back, but they were PSS and weren't this loud.

Have you guys tried driving it at highway speeds?

No I have no reason to kid about this. On the highway it almost sounds like it's howling. Almost can't have a normal conversation on the highway. (slight exaggeration)

It is quiet on nice roads, but nice roads are rare. It's also relatively quiet at lower speeds.

Like someone said, maybe it's the tires. Maybe these tires are just kind of crappy when it comes to road noise. My C7 stingray had wider tires in the back, but they were PSS and weren't this loud.

CT5 V blackwing should not be louder than a C7 with PSSes. Something is not right with your car. Like I mentioned prior, most likely one of your tires has a bad belt.

I drive the 5BW 110 miles a day on the highway, averaging 85mph or alot more if the roads open up. It's whisper quiet at speed.

CT5 V blackwing should not be louder than a C7 with PSSes. Something is not right with your car. Like I mentioned prior, most likely one of your tires has a bad belt.

I drive the 5BW 110 miles a day on the highway, averaging 85mph or alot more if the roads open up. It's whisper quiet at speed.
In San Antonio, if I'm driving on 1604 = low roar + low vibration in sections. If I'm on IH10 = quiet and smooth. 410 = same. Road outside my neighborhood = loud (no car I've owned has been exactly quiet on this stretch). Newly paved 211 = quiet and smooth.

Everyone has I think their own definition of quiet, and for me its very low wind and adjacent vehicle noise when underway. In 2,500 miles I can tell the tires really get loud on certain surfaces, but are whisper quiet on others. I wouldn't think that's a bad belt IMO, otherwise myself and others with noise on poor surfaces must have bad belts too. That having been said, I have had, and do have, summer tires on vehicles that have been quieter on poor surfaces but c'est la vie.

I drove my new 4BW 700 miles from Austin to KC, and there definitely is some road and tire noise. Wind noise is practically non-existent though. For a car of its kind and purpose, road noise is inevitable, even expected really. There are quieter cars, and there are louder cars. But the 4BW's interior noise isn't too bad.

Are your highways typically asphalt or concrete? There is a huge difference in noise between the two.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back