Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Repurposed: Driving on Winters

NorCal Blackwing

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT5-V Blackwing MT (Current), 2012 CTS-V Wagon MT (past)
My CT5 Blackwing will be replacing/becoming a daily driver (if and when it escapes from Autoport at Delta)...

If we set aside how crazy that is with current gas prices, I was curious what you guys are doing for tires during winter?

I live in California, but inland in the 'country'. In the winter, temps will go below freezing occasionally.

My fun (sports) car is equipped with the same Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires that the Blackwing has, and they do struggle a bit below 40 degrees. On that car, I swap into Continental DWS 06 Plus all seasons which are adequate for my climate in the winter.

See Winter Wheels and Tires

Here's the short version: the choices suck.

Some people had luck with 275/35/19, but this is technically taller than oem, so run at your own risk

Otherwise there's exactly one all season choice in oem sizes. And no snows.

Last edited:
I did very well last winter. Take a look at the post from last December.

Thanks guys, don't know how I missed that thread!

Since I duplicated an already excellent thread about winter wheels and tires above, I thought I would change the subject a bit!

I have yet to take delivery of my 5BW. A lot of reviews talk about how lively the 5BW is even in warm and dry conditions with the PS4S. A lot of it might be hyperbole or not knowing how to drive, but many reviews seem to make it sound like the car is continually stepping out under mild throttle even with PTM turned on.

That sounds pretty fun for a lark but I do want this car to be a daily ... so with all-seasons or winters on, slick roads, how is it to drive? I'm buying this car because I want an exciting daily drive, but I guess maybe not white knuckle exciting all the time :D

Since I duplicated an already excellent thread about winter wheels and tires above, I thought I would change the subject a bit!

I have yet to take delivery of my 5BW. A lot of reviews talk about how lively the 5BW is even in warm and dry conditions with the PS4S. A lot of it might be hyperbole or not knowing how to drive, but many reviews seem to make it sound like the car is continually stepping out under mild throttle even with PTM turned on.

That sounds pretty fun for a lark but I do want this car to be a daily ... so with all-seasons or winters on, slick roads, how is it to drive? I'm buying this car because I want an exciting daily drive, but I guess maybe not white knuckle exciting all the time :D
Go to Spring Mountain.

You’ll just have to drive it and learn. It will take a while. I had a V3 prior. It takes getting use to it.

Where in CA? I’m in the Sac area.

I started in winter. Picked it up Nov 23rd last year and immediately put snow tires on it.
To put it mildly, you need a light foot.

Since I've had more opportunities to mess with settings, wet PTM is  really good. I didn't use it at all until I was back on the PS4s, but when winter rolls around again I gotta think I'll spend most of it with wet PTM enabled.

I started in winter. Picked it up Nov 23rd last year and immediately put snow tires on it.

Since I've had more opportunities to mess with settings, wet PTM is  really good. I didn't use it at all until I was back on the PS4s, but when winter rolls around again I gotta think I'll spend most of it with wet PTM enabled.
we are 086-398, built 2/23 with an EDD of 7/3. Ahead of learning more at Spring Mountain, my wife wants "her mode" set up to keep her out of trouble. Would PTM Wet (so many one liners I deleted here lol) provide the max safety net?

we are 086-398, built 2/23 with an EDD of 7/3. Ahead of learning more at Spring Mountain, my wife wants "her mode" set up to keep her out of trouble. Would PTM Wet (so many one liners I deleted here lol) provide the max safety net?
Ya'll will learn a lot at Spring Mountain, but IMHO I think she/you will be ok setting it in sport for the PTM....

Go to Spring Mountain.

You’ll just have to drive it and learn. It will take a while. I had a V3 prior. It takes getting use to it.

Where in CA? I’m in the Sac area.
I'm in the Napa area - we'll have to get a Norcal blackwing meet whenever the car is delivered!

I've done a bit of DE in a variety of cars (V2 CTS-V, Gen 1 NSX - MR with no traction control) so I understand the basics of managing grip with smooth throttle application, and I've also heard most say that the Blackwing is set up by default to understeer before it breaks loose - it's just hilarious that every single reviewer talks about how easily the tires get overpowered in normal driving. I had just assumed they were putting it in Track 1 and mashing the throttle like an ape but now I'm not so sure :LOL:

I did also see that modern PTM comes with a 'Wet' and 'Snow/Ice' mode so surely that would make winter driving less white-knuckle?

I agree. I liked PTM wet the best for rain and cold days. The car was still aggressive and fun unlike the snow/ice mode.

I'm in the Napa area - we'll have to get a Norcal blackwing meet whenever the car is delivered!

I've done a bit of DE in a variety of cars (V2 CTS-V, Gen 1 NSX - MR with no traction control) so I understand the basics of managing grip with smooth throttle application, and I've also heard most say that the Blackwing is set up by default to understeer before it breaks loose - it's just hilarious that every single reviewer talks about how easily the tires get overpowered in normal driving. I had just assumed they were putting it in Track 1 and mashing the throttle like an ape but now I'm not so sure :LOL:

I did also see that modern PTM comes with a 'Wet' and 'Snow/Ice' mode so surely that would make winter driving less white-knuckle?
3/4 to full throttle, depending on conditions, you’re going to break loose. This car has massive amounts of hp and tq. It’s learning how much throttle to give before breaking loose.

The traction control and stabilitrak are very good on this car and generally won’t let you make any major mistakes, even in a majority of the PTM modes. To completely turn off all TC and ST you have to hold down TC for 8 seconds, or something to that nature.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back