Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Random Shut Off

Deneed4spd

Seasoned Member
I took my new 5BW to get wrapped. The owner of shop used to have a 4BW and he mentioned that his used to shut off randomly right after startup. He also noticed it randomly on mine. Has anyone heard of these random shut offs?

Is it immediately after starting up or 10 minutes after?

My 5 will shut off if you let it idle for around 10 minutes. The display will pop up on the dash telling you before and say press the brake or something to extend the time.

Just right after start. I heard about the 10 min. I’ll monitor my new 5BW and see. Only has 55 miles on it so haven’t been able to see.

Are you talking about the car idling while no one is in it? I’ve never had it happen while I’m seated, but then again, I can’t recall any time sitting in my car idling for 10 minutes.

Nope, he said when he starts car and then car just dies. Odd. I haven’t had it happen to me yet so maybe he is doing something odd to BWs

Never happened to my 5BW but that sounds like you should test that out if he noticed yours doing it.

I don't know of any production vehicle doing that unless it has the start stop feature, which these cars don't have.

Anyway, it is not good to leave any modern car idling when it's cold. It's bad for emmisons, wastes fuel and worst of all it's bad for the engine.

No one here has experienced it but the (2) BW he's messed with shutoff immediately? Sounds like operator error to me.

What?? I let both of my BW's "warm" up in the morning....
Long enough for the high idle to subside doesn’t take 10 minutes. Besides your 5BW has only started about 3 times since January.

I'm happy to hear there's a 10 minute max on unattended idling. Believe it or not, I forgot to kill one of my cars in the past when driving to work. I got in for lunch and it was still going !!

I notice in my 4 that if you dont hold the clutch and the brake until the engine is fully and completely started then it will abort and stop the start. Caught me off guard a few times early on.

Stands to reason that someone who owns a vehicle business and is moving them around all day would probably be a little impatient with keeping pedals depressed for a full start sequence

I notice in my 4 that if you dont hold the clutch and the brake until the engine is fully and completely started then it will abort and stop the start. Caught me off guard a few times early on.

Stands to reason that someone who owns a vehicle business and is moving them around all day would probably be a little impatient with keeping pedals depressed for a full start sequence
Can confirm I had this happen twice to me as well. Need to keep the clutch in for an extra beat, even when it's in neutral.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back