Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Questions, Nits, Acclaim, and Observations after 1,500 miles

rdollie

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2017 CTS-V; 2022 CT5-V Blackwing
First HAT'S OFF TO THE CADILLAC TEAM - love the car, it's a good upgrade over my '17 CTS-V! Looking forward to my first track day soon I hope! I have some questions/observations/acclaim/nit I thought I'd share with owners and GM if possible:

Question / Nits:
1) Noticed there's no HVAC outlet on the B-pillar like the V3. I assume this is a CT5 thing as opposed to BW-specific? Also hadn't realized at order time but appears there's no back-seat climate control zone (V3 had 3 zones) nor a sunshade (not critical for me as I'll be up front.) Hopefully one of these returns in a future year?

2) What the heck is that buzzing bee sound when you walk up near the car with the fob on you? There's a headlight/security initiation sequence which is quite typical but there's also at times what sounds like an angry bee trying to escape. I kept looking for a bee or horse fly the first night I had the car in the garage!

3) Something is odd with the security proximity sensor on the passenger side. I've had multiple times in front of a shop or in the garage with the windows down and the car armed where the alarm is tripped by someone walking close to the car w/o touching it. Only happens on the passenger side.

4) Does anybody have a recommendation for a high-quality umbrella for the umbrella holders in the front doors (I didn't know they were there for several days!) Surprised to not find a BW, V, or even generic Cadillac accessory umbrella available. Obviously not critical but living in the Pacific NW might actually use them for a guest (we locals rarely ever use an umbrella.)

5) Any updates on availability and pricing for the Mg light-weight wheels?

6) Any path to replacing this ugly generic looking automatic console shifter thing? A true let-down and I'm guessing the BW team couldn't squeeze a nicer option into the BOM but I'd pay aftermarket for something better and more befitting the nature of the car.

Observations / Acclaim:
1) Wahoo - love that the rear camera has been upgraded to a truly high-resolution unit. Don't know if that happened at launch for CT5 or with BW but either way, great upgrade over my V3.
2) Steering wheel - read it was jointly designed with Cosworth? Money well spent!!
3) So many awesome things done well here - vastly improved exhaust, improved MRC 4.0, even stickier tires, more power, etc. etc.. ALL FOR A SLIGHTLY LOWER STARTING PRICE - AMAZING CADILLAC!! While I'm not thrilled with the prospect of an EV car for the track, I look forward to the day you can apply your prowess to a suitable EV Blackwing!! Probably going to need some sort of Ultium II density breakthrough first - unless you can give us a trick hybrid setup as a bridge to that future :)

2 is probably the fuel pump

Heard the same thing the first night ... Wondering if it could be the suspension. Other cars I have/had with any suspension/combined with electronics seemed to make sounds, like when I got close to my AMG E63s (all 3 I've owned) the air suspension would begin to inflate to raise the car slightly before you got in ... you could hear the car getting ready for you. Other makes have all made their respective sounds. I take it as a nice welcome to another day in the 24 hours of LeMans.

The steering wheel was NOT codeveloped with cosworth. Missunderstood media write up. We used the cosworth wheels from the race cars (dpi, ats-v R etc) to get inspiration on cluster/hud shiftlights and obviously adding controls to wheel. PDR is codeveloped with Cosworth and is also where race cars have used their data acquisition in past that is now more user friendly. Cosworth toolbox is the software for PDR.

The steering wheel was NOT codeveloped with cosworth. Missunderstood media write up. We used the cosworth wheels from the race cars (dpi, ats-v R etc) to get inspiration on cluster/hud shiftlights and obviously adding controls to wheel. PDR is codeveloped with Cosworth and is also where race cars have used their data acquisition in past that is now more user friendly. Cosworth toolbox is the software for PDR.
Thanks for the education Mirza. I used Cosworth Toolbox with the V3 and look forward to seeing the simification in latest version

Cheers

First HAT'S OFF TO THE CADILLAC TEAM - love the car, it's a good upgrade over my '17 CTS-V! Looking forward to my first track day soon I hope! I have some questions/observations/acclaim/nit I thought I'd share with owners and GM if possible:

Question / Nits:
1) Noticed there's no HVAC outlet on the B-pillar like the V3. I assume this is a CT5 thing as opposed to BW-specific? Also hadn't realized at order time but appears there's no back-seat climate control zone (V3 had 3 zones) nor a sunshade (not critical for me as I'll be up front.) Hopefully one of these returns in a future year?

2) What the heck is that buzzing bee sound when you walk up near the car with the fob on you? There's a headlight/security initiation sequence which is quite typical but there's also at times what sounds like an angry bee trying to escape. I kept looking for a bee or horse fly the first night I had the car in the garage!

3) Something is odd with the security proximity sensor on the passenger side. I've had multiple times in front of a shop or in the garage with the windows down and the car armed where the alarm is tripped by someone walking close to the car w/o touching it. Only happens on the passenger side.

4) Does anybody have a recommendation for a high-quality umbrella for the umbrella holders in the front doors (I didn't know they were there for several days!) Surprised to not find a BW, V, or even generic Cadillac accessory umbrella available. Obviously not critical but living in the Pacific NW might actually use them for a guest (we locals rarely ever use an umbrella.)

5) Any updates on availability and pricing for the Mg light-weight wheels?

6) Any path to replacing this ugly generic looking automatic console shifter thing? A true let-down and I'm guessing the BW team couldn't squeeze a nicer option into the BOM but I'd pay aftermarket for something better and more befitting the nature of the car.

Observations / Acclaim:
1) Wahoo - love that the rear camera has been upgraded to a truly high-resolution unit. Don't know if that happened at launch for CT5 or with BW but either way, great upgrade over my V3.
2) Steering wheel - read it was jointly designed with Cosworth? Money well spent!!
3) So many awesome things done well here - vastly improved exhaust, improved MRC 4.0, even stickier tires, more power, etc. etc.. ALL FOR A SLIGHTLY LOWER STARTING PRICE - AMAZING CADILLAC!! While I'm not thrilled with the prospect of an EV car for the track, I look forward to the day you can apply your prowess to a suitable EV Blackwing!! Probably going to need some sort of Ultium II density breakthrough first - unless you can give us a trick hybrid setup as a bridge to that future :)
So… Congratulations on 1500 miles! Looks like I am not alone. (1689 and counting)

Completely agree! What a machine!! The most complete package car, I’ve ever owned.
Now for my 3 knocks (all I can think of, really) , 3 questions, and 3humbs up!

1) The wireless charging pad - I have to apply pressure after I set the phone down to ‘trigger’ the charge. Case or No case.

2) No electric hookup for my Valentine One v2 unless I run my cord to the center console. (Hardwired from a trusted shop is about a month out, and I’m impatient)

3) When my sunroof is open and I go to shut it, sometimes I will get a service light on the dash and the sunroof won’t budge. Turn the car off and back on, everything’s fine.

Questions:

Is it possible to program the active rev match to automatically come on at start up, with my mode?

can the SVR automatically start recording while off if movement detected or impact?

who’s bright idea was it to put these ugly wheel weights on these beautiful graphite/black wheels, that are shiny silver and in plain sight ? Haha!

Now for my greatest features!

TR6060.
Clutch, is a monster!
Lights under the front seat showing the rear floor.
Carbon racing seats are perfect! 6’4 big boned, cozy as can be’
Lights in the door handles!
V’s on the wheels

I could go on and on about what I love about this car. 2012 m6 V, 2017 V, 2017 m7 z06, 2019, zr1…..this Blackwing is my favorite, hands down, no question.

I was not excited to hear about electric performance Cadillac’s of the future, but @Mirza Grebovic brought us back a manual. With the incredible attention to detail of his work, and the ability to listen to all of the enthusiastsI’m excited for what’s to come! ( If you put a manual into an EV, you are the GOAT father) lol

I know I am forgetting something! It’s a crucial part I love about the car and design team, but I am blanking right now. I’ll have to revisit this thought. For now, thank you to all
Involved in creating this amazing Cadillac.

This is good stuff, keep it coming owners! Love to hear the comparisons between V3 and BW. I’ve seen all of the videos of how it performs but I like to hear more about what it’s like to live with vs. the V3.

All good stuff, I'll throw a few additional comments on my 1,100 ish mile observations:

1. When I open the door with the car still running my Valentine One radar will quickly power cycle. It did this plugged into the accessory and still does it after being professionally hardwired to the accessory outlet.

2. My driver door will occasionally stick when opening. It's like the actuator isn't fully releasing sometimes. I've tried slow and fast opening after hitting the door open button and it doesn't matter. Probably a quick adjustment needed.

3. My 2nd gear feels a bit more notchy than the other gears. Is this gear reinforced relative to the other gears in the TR6060? If I do a full clutch engagement, it seems be a bit smoother. Other gears are like rifled butter. Again, it's not a major issue, just noticeable.

4. My passenger door rattles when closing. It's nothing in the door pockets or anything on the outside of the door. I think something is loose inside the door panels. Maybe the factory peeps left me a surprise in there. haha. It's only noticeable when closing the door. No rattle when cruising or thumping the AKG bass. :D

5. Still trying to get used to the rear-view mirror camera. I like the extra width coverage it provides, but it's a bit too grainy overall. You can see cars/trucks fine, but it's not detailed enough to tell what kind of car until they are close. Also, due to the wider angle of the rear-view mirror camera it sometimes feels like cars passing in other lanes are very close to the Caddy when they're not. I know I can flip the thing and just have a normal mirror, but I want to give it a fair shake.

6. Car is ALMOST too refined at a sedate pace. :D I know this is a weird one, but just loafing around town, short shifting, the car is so smooth and so serene, it just feels a bit "normal." You need to kick it up a few notches in the acceleration or throwing it around a corner to feel the "specialness" of the car. It's not much of an occasion driving it slow. I guess that is to be expected though and shows the breadth of the car's capabilities.

7. I did get one false car alarm the first night I had it at home in the garage around midnight. I ran out with my Glock (hey, i live in Texas :D :D) and all was well. Hasn't happened since.

The highlights on this car are literally everything else. All the stuff above is very small, nit-picky stuff that doesn't detract from the car at all. It is an absolutely incredible machine and such a joy to drive. You can tell the amount of passion and engineering expertise that has been put into the Blackwing along with the skills of the racing set that calibrated everything. The racing experience that Cadillac and GM has is clearly evident in the Blackwing.

3. My 2nd gear feels a bit more notchy than the other gears. Is this gear reinforced relative to the other gears in the TR6060? If I do a full clutch engagement, it seems be a bit smoother. Other gears are like rifled butter. Again, it's not a major issue, just noticeable.
I don't currently own a manual car (but will own this one in a few days! :) ), but having owned 5 Z06's and 1 ZL1 1LE over the years, I think I remember them all being like this. Is your ZR1 not like this?

5. Still trying to get used to the rear-view mirror camera. I like the extra width coverage it provides, but it's a bit too grainy overall. You can see cars/trucks fine, but it's not detailed enough to tell what kind of car until they are close. Also, due to the wider angle of the rear-view mirror camera it sometimes feels like cars passing in other lanes are very close to the Caddy when they're not. I know I can flip the thing and just have a normal mirror, but I want to give it a fair shake.
Can't wait to play with this feature.
6. Car is ALMOST too refined at a sedate pace. :D I know this is a weird one, but just loafing around town, short shifting, the car is so smooth and so serene, it just feels a bit "normal." You need to kick it up a few notches in the acceleration or throwing it around a corner to feel the "specialness" of the car. It's not much of an occasion driving it slow. I guess that is to be expected though and shows the breadth of the car's capabilities.
I remember saying the exact same thing when the C6 Z06 came out. heh...

One thing I did notice, you can't start the car with your fob with the hood open.

I don't currently own a manual car (but will own this one in a few days! :) ), but having owned 5 Z06's and 1 ZL1 1LE over the years, I think I remember them all being like this. Is your ZR1 not like this?

I think it may be, but after 11 years and 35,000 dog miles with the ZR1, all the gears have been smoothed out and it shifts like butter in all the gears.

Again, it's very minor, just noticeable on 2nd gear in the Blackwing. It probably is very normal and I have no problem with it.

Can't wait for you to get yours, Andi!

I was thinking the same thing. Granted I have the automatic and I'm still under 500 miles, so doing my best to behave and keep my foot from getting too far in it. "Tour" mode is definitely sedate and normal feeling, but that's fine with me as it serves its purpose for running quick errands around town and just shows how versatile the car can be. Sport, Track and V-modes are just a couple of clicks away. Now if only my wife and I could agree on what the My-mode settings should be. 😂

I was thinking the same thing. Granted I have the automatic and I'm still under 500 miles, so doing my best to behave and keep my foot from getting too far in it. "Tour" mode is definitely sedate and normal feeling, but that's fine with me as it serves its purpose for running quick errands around town and just shows how versatile the car can be. Sport, Track and V-modes are just a couple of clicks away. Now if only my wife and I could agree on what the My-mode settings should be. 😂
They aren't key fob dependent?

Notchy/grindy 2nd gear is a known TR6060 thing. My SS did it, and there is a real "fix" by changing synchros. However, a fluid change after a couple thousand miles will also improve it greatly.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back