Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

PSA: Setting Expectations - Condition of your paint may disappoint you, but a paint correction/ceramic coat and a good detailer will fix your problem.

The manufacturer has warranted a 4th option, have the dealer bring the car to new car standards. That should be the go to and from there if the remedy taken to make that happen is not acceptable to the buyer, then they can walk.
Clearly the manufacturer has not given the dealer authority to do that or this thread wouldn't be posted. By authority, I mean a blanket authorization for the dealer to perform a lengthy defect correction process without fighting them on the bill

Wild that Cadillac is going to try and build a car that STARTS at $300k. Maybe if its hand built as they say it is gonna be they'll have a bit better QC

The dealerships purchase the cars from the manufacture. Is a dealership not within their rights to simply refuse a damaged car? If a customer can refuse, why can't the dealership?

It's likely a pointless question as there is probably some written agreement between dealerships and the manufacture about accepting cars "as is" blah blah blah. Secondly, most dealerships likely don't really care and they know they will sell it to somebody who is less particular and knowledgeable. Pretty terrible that any new car, especially one costing 100k, would arrive like this.

The dealerships purchase the cars from the manufacture. Is a dealership not within their rights to simply refuse a damaged car? If a customer can refuse, why can't the dealership?

It's likely a pointless question as there is probably some written agreement between dealerships and the manufacture about accepting cars "as is" blah blah blah. Secondly, most dealerships likely don't really care and they know they will sell it to somebody who is less particular and knowledgeable. Pretty terrible that any new car, especially one costing 100k, would arrive like this.
Pure conjecture: In this case of scarce supply coupled with high demand if they don't accept and sell it ASAP, then it would adversely affect future allocations... potentially leading to a downward spiral.
Speaking of...
... that is a totally bad ass album... and that is NOT conjecture!

It is unclear to me what your argument is. Are you saying that dealerships don't complain to GM/Cadillac about these damaged cars because they don't want to risk angering GM to the point that Cadillac does not give these dealerships future allocations?

Pure conjecture: In this case of scarce supply coupled with high demand if they don't accept and sell it ASAP, then it would adversely affect future allocations... potentially leading to a downward spiral.
Speaking of...
... that is a totally bad ass album... and that is NOT conjecture!
It is unclear to me what your argument is. Are you saying that dealerships don't complain to GM/Cadillac about these damaged cars because they don't want to risk angering GM to the point that Cadillac does not give these dealerships future allocations?

he's saying the whole reason why the dealership has to have a "take it or don't" mentality is because their allocation numbers WILL be affected if they don't move the unit. So if the customer wants the dealer to "go to bat" for them, they must purchase the car first. They don't want to jeopardize future allocations by waiting months for GM to respond to a warranty request for paint.

At the end of the day, someone is getting a car at MSRP, paint corrected and ceramic coated by professionals. I'm not sure why people expect the dealer to pay for it. If it were a direct sale would you go ahead and front the money while you wait for GM to drag their asses on a decision on if they'll cover it or not. Or would you just refuse it and request another one? I'd bet it's the latter, which this dealership is giving you the choice to do. In the meantime they are going to do the work to fix and sell that one you refused. Keep in mind dealers with $10k and $20k ADMs are having these same problems and I bet their response isn't nearly as thought out

If you guys wanna see some bad paint check out this….

Attachments

• C247E468-7CF7-4536-A915-C01E26C29F7A.jpeg
    C247E468-7CF7-4536-A915-C01E26C29F7A.jpeg
    906.7 KB · Views: 129
  • 5B2B7016-D4CB-4CCF-95B4-963120444341.jpeg
    5B2B7016-D4CB-4CCF-95B4-963120444341.jpeg
    934 KB · Views: 121
  • BEB73B15-2713-4380-8746-0768D151BFC3.jpeg
    BEB73B15-2713-4380-8746-0768D151BFC3.jpeg
    926.7 KB · Views: 122
so far my paint seems to be in pretty good shape all things considered for being outside since March 16. there are some swirls and a few blemishes that will hopefully polish out. paint seemed fine behind the fender but I am trying not to catch too many flaws until I have time to actually detail it.

If you guys wanna see some bad paint check out this….
That's why I'm not getting a sun roof... just kidding. That sucks and would annoy me and I'd have a conversation about that (results of conversation may vary based upon wants/expectations/caring of individual buyer vs individual dealer's abilities/caring)and I also agree with @Jameson's Viggen and other like situations where it seems that it's more egregious.

Sorry that I wasn't clear. I was answering the question in your first paragraph with a WAG that sounded possible to me. As @Ivy1Le stated and according to my understanding is that allocations are based on prior sales of same/similar models (so not just any Cadillac, but specifically ct4/5, v's, bw's)... so the dealer must accept a car AND sell that car b/c their ability to procure future allocations is directly impacted. So they can refuse a car, but then it won't be a sale and it will affect their numbers. Not my rules, not saying it's right... but when their job is to sell cars and they need inventory (which requires allocations) to do it, then they are in a catch-22. So they feel pressures just like any other manufacturer/seller relationship. This system basically is based on whomever has sold the most of certain cars in the past is more likely to sell those certain cars in the future, so that's who GM is betting on with this system. Not taking sides... just trying to understand both sides of the equation.

As far as addressing paint quality:
If you talk to just about any quality detailer they will say that EVERY car needs paint correction especially before ceramic and/or ppf*. Yes, the amount of correction varies, but I don't think in most cases that is too significant if you are getting it done anyway. So if you are planning on getting that done to protect your car that you just spent a boatload of money on and want to keep it looking great as long as possible (I know I am getting a full ppf wrap because my s6 'with the great quality paint job' still got chips/dings where it was not protected with ppf)... then at the end of the day there isn't an appreciable difference (at least to me) b/c it doesn't change how I'm handling my business and regardless of my starting point... my end point is the same.

*they will tell you how they don't want the dealer to even hand wash the car or even remove the protective sheets, they will tell you that even the best cars have imperfections that need paint correction...

Hope this helps explain my view.
(I much prefer posting gifs/movie clips)

Got a link to what you just said?
https://www.cadillac.com/bypass/pcf.../22_CAD_WM_en_US_U_84683983B_2021OCT11_2P.pdf

the section on "pre-delivery service" is pretty clear that end clients are not responsible for covering defects and transit damage. Dealers are supposed to address these items pre-delivery or if not found prior to delivery, post delivery. Warranty work is billable by a dealer so I'm not sure why the OP thinks that having clients volunteer to pay for corrective action is a public service.

Page 19 of the Limited Warranty manual states:

Pre-Delivery Service Defects in the mechanical, electrical, sheet metal, paint, trim, and other components of your vehicle may occur at the factory or while it is being transported to the dealer facility. Normally, any defects occurring during assembly are identified and corrected at the factory during the inspection process. In addition, dealers inspect each vehicle before delivery. They repair any uncorrected factory defects and any transit damage detected before the vehicle is delivered to you. Any defects still present at the time the vehicle is delivered to you are covered by the warranty. If you find any defects, advise your dealer without delay. For further details concerning any repairs which the dealer may have made prior to you taking delivery of your vehicle, ask your dealer

Last edited:
Page 19 of the Limited Warranty manual states:

Pre-Delivery Service Defects in the mechanical, electrical, sheet metal, paint, trim, and other components of your vehicle may occur at the factory or while it is being transported to the dealer facility. Normally, any defects occurring during assembly are identified and corrected at the factory during the inspection process. In addition, dealers inspect each vehicle before delivery. They repair any uncorrected factory defects and any transit damage detected before the vehicle is delivered to you. Any defects still present at the time the vehicle is delivered to you are covered by the warranty. If you find any defects, advise your dealer without delay. For further details concerning any repairs which the dealer may have made prior to you taking delivery of your vehicle, ask your dealer
In my mind, this settles it.

If your car shows up and the paint is in unacceptable condition, GM should pay to have it corrected. And your dealer *should* handle the particulars of getting it corrected, and getting reimbursed for it under warranty, just like any other warranty repair.

Ok, I need to know how many of you guys that is doing a first time color correction on the BW? I guess this is not a big deal to me because I have it done on all my cars....... If you guys don't like the outcome don't purchase the car, I don't get it... I would not blame Dustin if he went dark after all this.... I heard a guy say one time that some people would complain if they were hung with a new rope...

In my mind, this settles it.

If your car shows up and the paint is in unacceptable condition, GM should pay to have it corrected. And your dealer *should* handle the particulars of getting it corrected, and getting reimbursed for it under warranty, just like any other warranty repair.
I'm not sure how many warranty repairs you've had but the promise of reimbursement comes BEFORE the work is performed, which brings us back to the timetable of waiting. It also brings us back to the customer buying the car before the dealer can reach out for reimbursement. To my knowledge, it cannot be called a warranty repair until a warranty is active, which isn't until after the vehicle is delivered

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back