Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

PSA: Setting Expectations - Condition of your paint may disappoint you, but a paint correction/ceramic coat and a good detailer will fix your problem.

It’s becoming more and more clearer to me why Tesla elected to do away with almost all dealers.
You would think the idea of making a nice profit when they sell a vehicle is incentive enough to try to keep the customer happy. After all, everyone of these cars are selling for MSRP or higher.
Making profit on the sale isn't the usual dealer model. Well not since the age of the internet anyways.

So we're in a weird gray area where customers are paying MSRP, but inventory is still limited enough where the smaller dealerships still can't live on MSRP sales. I'm sure bigger dealerships are doing just fine, judging by constantly hearing "best month ever" but that's only an assumption.

Even still, these bigger dealerships have no reason to take on problems that start at the manufacturer just to keep a customer happy. Doesn't make sense in today's world, especially on a car like this where you can't just go down the street to the next dealer and pick one up there instead. I think the way Sewell is handling it is acceptable, it's not great but they are limited on options and at least when they say they'll ask for an expedited order you can expect it to actually show up. Almost anywhere else where you'd be lucky if they get another allocation this year

My issues are AFTER paint correction, imperfections were found still. I also had two SMALL dings taken out by PDR.

What I learned is, they all have them to some degree.

I found out my car had an spec of dust in the clear that was polished out during initial post paint inspection. I had found 3 more little dust specs and they admitted sometimes they can get missed because different light sources can reveal different issues.

So I felt better. But I still want to have my dealer inspection to see if they think its enough to see if GM will cover a polishing out of the flaws.

My rear wheel well/arch down by the rear door/passenger side has kind of the lumpiest section of the clearcoat. This weekend, I got to see a Dustin car by a guy named Tim from the MIlford Proving Grounds in the same orange. I was told Blaze is a really challenging color to get right. Sure enough, that car had similar flaws at the lip of the wheels arch.View attachment 9792
The rear wheel well arches are the worst on my car as well. On both sides, it looks like little pinholes in the clear. Not to mention the clear is THICK in that area. I'm not sure what I want to do with it. I might just leave it, no one notices it but me.

The rear wheel well arches are the worst on my car as well. On both sides, it looks like little pinholes in the clear. Not to mention the clear is THICK in that area. I'm not sure what I want to do with it. I might just leave it, no one notices it but me.
Yep. I have inspected about a half dozen of these now and they are all bad in that spot to varying degrees

It’s becoming more and more clearer to me why Tesla elected to do away with almost all dealers.
You would think the idea of making a nice profit when they sell a vehicle is incentive enough to try to keep the customer happy. After all, everyone of these cars are selling for MSRP or higher.
Is your order at Sewell? If not, you can take it up with your dealer. I can't rave enough about Sewell. I bought mine from Colorado, all through texts and emails, and they went above and beyond. Dustin called me on arrival-to-the-dealer-day and said he found a tiny nick in a rocker moulding. I told him "don't worry about it, if it is that small who cares". The car arrived and I still can't find what he is talking about. But that tells you who you are dealing with here.

I don't think it is the dealer's obligation if they receive a defective unit to jump through every possible hoop to fix it. Some of these issues simply cannot be repaired without repainting. Are you gonna let your "100k" car be repainted upon arrival? I doubt it. Some customers cannot be made happy, that is a fact. In these instances, their best move is to order a replacement unit. But will it come in better? Unlikely.

An underlying point of this entire thread is if you are so anal that the car has to be near perfect cosmetically on arrival, GM is not, and will never be the brand for you. My CT4-V Blackwing is not perfect, but I find it acceptable. For everyone complaining about giving GM a "free pass", that is so simple - don't buy the car. Go get something else.

I think that everyone that has a car ordered that has not taken delivery should pass on it and go get a German car....

It's funny, I had an S4 and participated on a forum. Nobody talks about paint, PPF, ceramic, etc. It's all about, mods of exhaust, tuning, suspension, and especially wheels. Never really gave my paint much thought, actually I abused it to some extent.

Which explains why few people are loyal to any dealership.
Your logic makes no sense. So if a dealership were to provide you with $4,000 worth of paint correction every time the manufacturer screwed up your paint you'd go back every time?

No, of course not. You might want a different brand next time, they might not have the car you want when you want it. When things go back to normal you'll likely go to the dealer 40 miles away because their price was $200 lower.

No dealership is in the practice of buying business. Most would agree that if the cost of earning your business is you getting exactly what you want regardless of what that is or who's responsible, they don't want your business.

My use of the word 'you' here doesn't mean you specifically but the average buyer

It's funny, I had an S4 and participated on a forum. Nobody talks about paint, PPF, ceramic, etc. It's all about, mods of exhaust, tuning, suspension, and especially wheels. Never really gave my paint much thought, actually I abused it to some extent.
I was on the same forum and that was exactly my experience as well.

It could be that they know they don't have to worry about it. It could be a different class/type of buyer. Probably a little bit of both.

Having experienced Audi customer service, you have a complaint they generally address it. They don't shrug it off and say "nothings perfect"

You guys can spin this any way you like. A car costing 100 large should be delivered with decent paint. There is no way a good dealer should expect the buyer to pay a paint correction fee on top of the purchase price.

I feel like every forum has its own theme. The X3M/X4M BMW forum was all about aftermarket CF trim parts and M emblems on everything (door locks, tire valve stem covers, etc).

The theme of this forum is "dude where's my car?"

You guys can spin this any way you like. A car costing 100 large should be delivered with decent paint. There is no way a good dealer should expect the buyer to pay a paint correction fee on top of the purchase price.
No one is spinning anything, most of us agree with you. Others of us wouldn't care if it got delivered with no paint, it drives good and GM is boss.

Sewell is giving you three options. Let them have it corrected and pay. Request a new order. Accept the car and don't bitch about it to them if the detailer you choose says the issues can't be fixed. There is a fourth option which is the car comes in great and the first 3 options aren't needed.

In my opinion, if my car arrives with the paint in terrible shape I would not expect the dealer to fix it at their cost, but I would expect the dealer to go to bat for me to get it covered by GM under warranty, just like they would if there was a dent or some other body damage that the car arrived with. Scratches, scuffs, etc. are no different IMO from a dent or ding...and there is no question that if a car comes off the transporter with a dent that GM will pay to fix it.

Also, I *really* don't like the line of "If you don't like the condition of the car, don't buy it". If I were buying a Camry off the lot that would be ok, I could just move on to the next car. But most of us on the forum have waited months and months for our Blackwings and there is no other other option than the car sitting in front of us. I think the dealer has an obligation to make a good faith effort to get the damage fixed on GM's dime. Telling the customer to walk away is an absolute last resort.

I feel like every forum has its own theme. The X3M/X4M BMW forum was all about aftermarket CF trim parts and M emblems on everything (door locks, tire valve stem covers, etc).

The theme of this forum is "dude where's my car?"
Then you finally get one and drive it and are like...
dude-wheres-my-car-dude.gif

But most of us on the forum have waited months and months for our Blackwings and there is no other other option than the car sitting in front of us
And they are well aware of that. I think all dealers exploit that to some level. What we’re left with is choosing the least bad option. When I was offered an incoming car they put pressure on to close the deal very quickly (so they could get another allocation). I had a very minimal amount of time to gets my ducks in a row. Normally I wouldn’t put up with that. But it was either that or wait 8 months for my order.

No one is spinning anything, most of us agree with you. Others of us wouldn't care if it got delivered with no paint, it drives good and GM is boss.

Sewell is giving you three options. Let them have it corrected and pay. Request a new order. Accept the car and don't bitch about it to them if the detailer you choose says the issues can't be fixed. There is a fourth option which is the car comes in great and the first 3 options aren't needed
The manufacturer has warranted a 4th option, have the dealer bring the car to new car standards. That should be the go to and from there if the remedy taken to make that happen is not acceptable to the buyer, then they can walk.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back