Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

PSA: Setting Expectations - Condition of your paint may disappoint you, but a paint correction/ceramic coat and a good detailer will fix your problem.

I had my inspection.

Took like two minutes. Manager of the dealer body shop was pretty appalled.

They'll fix it and give me a loaner.

I asked to be kept in the loop for the plan of attack and explained my concerns that it needs to be buffed/wet sanded at the end so its of a higher standard than a typical collision repair.

What are people's thoughts on car covers to help protect the paint?
I live in a mews-style condo with a nice leafy courtyard, which also means a totally PITA, annoying AF, leafy car park.
I was planning on a ceramic coat as a matter of course and thought of using a car cover too, but I guess with the car cover I then have to worry about swirls - or at least that was the split in yeah/nay on the M2 forum.

Car covers...almost as contentious as which oil is best. :D

I used to be a fan of covers. Now there is no way I would use one on a car I care about.

I had a Ford Focus RS I used as a daily driver. I would park it at the airport before trips, cover it (nice, $500 Covercraft WeatherShield cover) and even used the proper technique to secure it to prevent 'flapping'.

I had done a max-effort paint correction when I first got it and it was in really good shape. After about 6 months, I noticed hundreds of very small, short (less than 1") straight scratches all over the car. Hood, roof, sides, they were everywhere and distributed at random.

They only came out with a light polish. And after another 3 months, they were back.

I went on the Adams Polishes forum and posted story and pics...Dylan Von Kliest (at the time Adams chief detailer, now he works for Rupes) reponded and asked if I was using a cover when the car was outside.

Turns out, ALL COVERS do the same thing. Even when they are 'secured' they have small wave motions due to wind/breeze, doors opening/closing in garage and they act as air pumps. Debris in the air gets pumped in beneath the cover and then every time another breeze moves the panel, it drags the particle in a perfectly straight, short line across the car.

The only time he recommended a cover is if the vehicle is going in to long-term storage, indoors with a garage/room that won't see much traffic. And then he would recommend a soft-sided cover.

He said it's actually better on the paint to put on a proper sealant/coating and let it sit outside than to let it sit under a cover and have to do corrections every 6 months.

As always, YMMV

@azeyecap @sethsquire
I mentioned in the comments that the vehicle was delivered in this condition. I wouldn't have minded working with the dealer to have them corrected thru GM, but obviously this wasn't one of the good dealerships.

In any case, I've gotten an acceptable offer from another dealership that wants to buy it, and I've posted a for-sale thread here to see if any member wants to scoop it before they mark it up.

I saw this thread before the listing went up, but didn't think to share it until afterwards. I really didn't anticipate it being a huge issue given the transparency. I get not wanting your new luxury performance sedan to have any blemishes, but figured they wouldn't prevent someone who genuinely wants one with a 6-Speed finished in Infrared Tintcoat and a few decent options (namely the seats).

What are people's thoughts on car covers to help protect the paint?
I live in a mews-style condo with a nice leafy courtyard, which also means a totally PITA, annoying AF, leafy car park.
I was planning on a ceramic coat as a matter of course and thought of using a car cover too, but I guess with the car cover I then have to worry about swirls - or at least that was the split in yeah/nay on the M2 forum.

Most of them will cause swirl marks and light scratches over time... Anytime a customer asks to buy one, I sway them away from it........... They only one I have seen do well are the big bubbles but thats more for extended period type covers... There are likely some out there they work great but I am just not aware......

@azeyecap @sethsquire
I mentioned in the comments that the vehicle was delivered in this condition. I wouldn't have minded working with the dealer to have them corrected thru GM, but obviously this wasn't one of the good dealerships.

In any case, I've gotten an acceptable offer from another dealership that wants to buy it, and I've posted a for-sale thread here to see if any member wants to scoop it before they mark it up.

I saw this thread before the listing went up, but didn't think to share it until afterwards. I really didn't anticipate it being a huge issue given the transparency. I get not wanting your new luxury performance sedan to have any blemishes, but figured they wouldn't prevent someone who genuinely wants one with a 6-Speed finished in Infrared Tintcoat and a few decent options (namely the seats).
Glad you have found some interest in it. I was a little surprised with the BaT outcome. I’m sure you were watching for last second bids and it didn’t come in late for you.

In order to pay/free up space for my 4 blackwing I sold my e90 M3 on Bat in Late Jan early Feb this year. Somehow they talked me into a No Reserve auction. I felt confident going in, it was a driver but all of the maintenance I had done went above and beyond, but with 24 hrs left i was kicking myself because it was sitting at under 20K when I know I could have gotten 25k-27k via other selling methods. I was depressed, then mentally chalked it up to “the auction was fun and loosing a couple of grand was like playing blackjack and it is OK.” I’m doing the mental gymnastics to make myself feel better about making a bad choice with the no reserve. Though, in the last hour there was lots of action and it popped up to $30K, it was a lot of fun being on that emotional rollercoaster.

Can't say I wasn't warned. Had an unbuffed spot on the roof on delivery (dealer didn't detail per my request) that came out, but also un-level paint (like a divet) on hood edge and 4 little black or white dots in the paint beneath the clear. Nothing that I will bother fixing and the detailer mentioned this has been a trend he has seen in recent new cars across multiple makes including german. Maybe it is staffing issues, poor QC, etc.

Attachments

• 20220712_103054.jpeg
    20220712_103054.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 116
  • blackwing paint 3.jpeg
    blackwing paint 3.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 112
  • blackwing paint 2.jpeg
    blackwing paint 2.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 112
  • blackwing paint 1.png
    blackwing paint 1.png
    682 KB · Views: 125
I opened up a case with Cadillac Customer Service after dropping my car off at the body shop.

Repairing the hood edge paint issue they want to blend into the fender. So I am going to have to spend about $900 to re-PPF. I shouldn't be out $1 even if PPF is a gray area, it's "aftermarket".

My take is I wouldn't be out $$$ if they had proper QC in the first place.

Body shop manager thinks the hood was repainted once after initial assembly which makes sense.

Can't say I wasn't warned. Had an unbuffed spot on the roof on delivery (dealer didn't detail per my request) that came out, but also un-level paint (like a divet) on hood edge and 4 little black or white dots in the paint beneath the clear. Nothing that I will bother fixing and the detailer mentioned this has been a trend he has seen in recent new cars across multiple makes including german. Maybe it is staffing issues, poor QC, etc.
I just got my car back from a correction and coating yesterday and I have a VERY similar divot thing on my hood. Mine is closer to the drivers side edge much further back. Super odd. I'll try to throw a picture up here later, but I think it looks damn near identical to yours.

The thread has been a real eye opener. When I went to take delivery of my car last Saturday I spent almost an hour with a flashlight (hard to see much in the showroom) going over the paint. Found some minor issues, but nothing major. I wonder if because my car has RPO R7V (show) if they were more careful with it at the factory or inspected it more thoroughly. Overall it looked at least as good as my last Mercedes which was pretty good.

319A7847-DC29-45EF-842C-045AB328B329.jpeg

Here is my paint divot. Hard to get a decent picture of it.

:: knock on wood :: So far I haven't noticed any paint issues on mine. Granted I haven't looked over every square inch closely, but I have washed it quite a few times and haven't noticed any issues. Mine is infrared, which was the most expensive paint option (outside of the limited frost green), so I don't know if that requires a different paint process or gets a better QC inspection or what.

OK, I'd be really interested to hear how you guys fix this
We havent yet.... Should have the car back from Xpel tomorrow..

@1StunnaV how did you guys end up fixing this paint issue? Neither GM’s Customer Engagement Center or the dealer have anything to offer me so far, so I was thinking you likely have better advice to give.

The thread has been a real eye opener. When I went to take delivery of my car last Saturday I spent almost an hour with a flashlight (hard to see much in the showroom) going over the paint. Found some minor issues, but nothing major. I wonder if because my car has RPO R7V (show) if they were more careful with it at the factory or inspected it more thoroughly. Overall it looked at least as good as my last Mercedes which was pretty good.
Just for reference, What color is your car?

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back