Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

PSA: Idiot dealers will use the WRONG oil for your BW

Carguyshu

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT5-V Blackwing
If you take the dealer up on a free oil change or are just having them change the oil and paying them for it MAKE SURE THEY USE THE CORRECT OIL! The WRONG oil part number is 88862479. This is for the dirt cheap EURO blend 0w-40 mobile 1. This oil is NOT dexos2 approved and is not a recommend oil for the engine. The only readily available approved oil is 0w-40 ESP (or some relabled as supercar). The GM part number for it is 19370233. In the Corvette threads this is a common problem that I'd bet 90%+ miss. A couple people even contacted GM and got confirmation that the Euro car formula is not approved and that any dealer that put it in needs to remove it and replace it with the correct oil.

This rant brought to you by me; a guy who has a massive oil leak at less than 3,500 miles that the dealer then topped off with the wrong oil after supposedly fixing it and not in any way cleaning up any of the leaked oil covering the car.

If you take the dealer up on a free oil change or are just having them change the oil and paying them for it MAKE SURE THEY USE THE CORRECT OIL! The WRONG oil part number is 88862479. This is for the dirt cheap EURO blend 0w-40 mobile 1. This oil is NOT dexos2 approved and is not a recommend oil for the engine. The only readily available approved oil is 0w-40 ESP (or some relabled as supercar). The GM part number for it is 19370233. In the Corvette threads this is a common problem that I'd bet 90%+ miss. A couple people even contacted GM and got confirmation that the Euro car formula is not approved and that any dealer that put it in needs to remove it and replace it with the correct oil.

This rant brought to you by me; a guy who has a massive oil leak at less than 3,500 miles that the dealer then topped off with the wrong oil after supposedly fixing it and not in any way cleaning up any of the leaked oil covering the car.
Very frustrating... Here are some pictures that may help since there are multiple versions of this stuff and it can be confusing. The key is making sure you get Dexos2 in the LT4.

Correct - new Supercar branding
Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 10.20.08 PM.png

Correct - US Version
Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 10.21.37 PM.png

Correct - European Version - same as above with some added stuff to meet Euro emissions standards.
Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 10.26.52 PM.png

Not Correct
Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 10.19.49 PM.png

Not Correct
Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 10.46.51 PM.png

Last edited:
This is just yet another data point among hundreds for why I learned how to service my own vehicles. No judgement on the folks that don't have the facilities or knowledge to do so, but it's a skill worth learning if all you lack is the knowledge. Somehow we've all been conditioned to think dealer service is the top of the pile of service options, but that is pure fallacy.

Very frustrating... Here are some pictures that may help since there are multiple versions of this stuff and it can be confusing. The key is making sure you get Dexos2 in the LT4.

Correct - new Supercar branding
View attachment 13354
Correct - US Version
View attachment 13355
Correct - European Version - same as above with some added stuff to meet Euro emissions standards.
View attachment 13356
Not Correct
View attachment 13357
Not Correct
View attachment 13358
nice add to the discussion. the big thing is whether or not it says DEXOS 2 anywhere on it if you don't want to try and memorize which image = okay and which = not okay

This is just yet another data point among hundreds for why I learned how to service my own vehicles. No judgement on the folks that don't have the facilities or knowledge to do so, but it's a skill worth learning if all you lack is the knowledge. Somehow we've all been conditioned to think dealer service is the top of the pile of service options, but that is pure fallacy.
at most dealers the oil tech is the most entry level and inexperienced person there. given that this was to fix a leak I didn't even get that bottom of the barrel tech and they still didn't know what was correct. this is a dealer that also services chevy, so i'm gonna guess they've probably been filling all the corvettes and camaros there incorrectly as well. we'll find out when I go back monday and raise hell

at most dealers the oil tech is the most entry level and inexperienced person there. given that this was to fix a leak I didn't even get that bottom of the barrel tech and they still didn't know what was correct. this is a dealer that also services chevy, so i'm gonna guess they've probably been filling all the corvettes and camaros there incorrectly as well. we'll find out when I go back monday and raise hell
Amateurs!!

Problem is that the new supercar branding got rid of Dexos 2. It's Dexos R now. Just to make things more confusing.

Exactly, remember before they went to 0W-40. They used to say you can use 5W-30 if the car was for street only. Then 0W-40 becomes the standard fill and was good for street and track, except if you have a ZL1 1LE, then you are supposed to use 15W-50 on track to deal with the higher G-forces and switch back to 0W-40 for street. :)

*4BW* not 5 here, but I went back to look at my invoice, after previously joking the dealer goes out of their way to mention Dexos1 whenever they can.

The part number turns out to be the original Dexos1 that was replaced by Dexos1 Gen2 in 2015 and discontinued in 2017.
I will ring them to confirm, but could they really still be using oil discontinued 5yrs ago :-s

@raptor5244 ....Thanks for the photos and the explanation.

Also, I wonder if it would be better to go to a Chevrolet dealer, especially one who is more educated with Corvettes?

Also, I wonder if it would be better to go to a Chevrolet dealer, especially one who is more educated with Corvettes?

I think it is hit or miss based on the dealer and the folks they hire. If you can get the Corvette tech to do the oil change then that would be ideal. They used to have the Corvette techs do all the oil changes since they rookies would mess up the process on the dry sump cars. I am not sure if that is the case anymore. Unfortunately, I feel like you will have better luck at a Jiffy Lube than a dealer these days.

I would just buy the oil and filter yourself and bring it to the dealer so at least you know you are getting the right stuff and ask them to charge labor only.

@raptor5244 ......That was also my thought. Buy it, take it to the dealer. I wonder what the dealer would charge with customer supplied oil and filter? Or if they would even do it? And Jiffy Lube? Unless things have changed, I wouldn't take anything there.

@raptor5244 ......That was also my thought. Buy it, take it to the dealer. I wonder what the dealer would charge with customer supplied oil and filter? Or if they would even do it? And Jiffy Lube? Unless things have changed, I wouldn't take anything there.
Yeah, I was joking about the Jiffy Lube. :)

In my experience most dealers are ok with you bringing your own oil and filter. Of course they prefer to sell it to you and mark it up but most will work with you and charge you for the labor only.

I passed on my free first service. After my whole taillight/bumper incident, that specific dealer won't be touching my car again.

I just received my mobil1 supercar oil this week. I was kinda surprised that it only says "dexos" on the front/case, no "2" or "R". Only on the back does it show something in regards to DexosR with the license number.

20221015_195721.jpg

20221015_195659.jpg

My Chevy dealer is closer and when I give them the oil and filter they only charge me $20 (my Cadillac dealer used to charge same except last time they charged $60 for the labor.)

I went to look at my invoice for my first oil change and it had part number 19432866. I verified with parts that this number is also correct for the 5BW. If you Google it you can't find any info on it but I was assured this was the correct oil.

Double checked just now and thankfully the dealership used the proper stuff.

I went to look at my invoice for my first oil change and it had part number 19432866. I verified with parts that this number is also correct for the 5BW. If you Google it you can't find any info on it but I was assured this was the correct oil.
Just had an oil change, and this was also the part number. Expensive stuff, looks like oil changes will be close to $200 at the dealer.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back