Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Oil Filters

DonD

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 CT4-V Blackwing
I've looked at a good bit of the material on this forum regarding oil filters.

One had a chart of filters. The owner's manual for the CT-V Blackwing says PF63. I ordered a PF63 from Amazon and it's P/N isn't on that list. My filter P/N is 12731742. Oddly, it has Arabic script and Russian characters. Makes me wonder I got some export filter and perhaps inferior. Comments? Don

Its almost as if you didnt read my reply to your oil change question yesterday even though you quoted it.
OK, my bad, I've been very busy lately. Link to your other post? Thanks, Don

That Arabic/Russian writing translates to......"almost same as, very close to, looks the same as, but costs alot less money than real one".

OK, my bad, I've been very busy lately. Link to your other post? Thanks, Don

...Dealers are using 12731742 which most of the online parts retailers now list as a replacement for the 12707246...

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

I suggest that you use UPF63R - Part #12693541, it is the better filter. And while you are at it, make sure that the oil is Mobil 1 Supercar 0W-40. You will need 7 Quarts. Of course the case is sold with 6 quarts. This stuff is hard to find.

Filter online @ AutoZone
Oil online @ Speedway Motors

Just make sure that if you use an independent service shop, or a GM dealer that they will use your parts.

Attachments

• IMG_2460.JPG
    IMG_2460.JPG
    439.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2461.JPG
    IMG_2461.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
  • Mobil 1™ Supercar 0W-40.pdf
    526.4 KB · Views: 58
I suggest that you use UPF63R - Part #12693541, it is the better filter. And while you are at it, make sure that the oil is Mobil 1 Supercar 0W-40. You will need 7 Quarts. Of course the case is sold with 6 quarts. This stuff is hard to find.

Filter online @ AutoZone

Just make sure that if you use an independent service shop, or a GM dealer that they will use your parts.
Owner's manual and oil fill say 5W-30 weight oil, not 0W-40. I do have some PF63 coming from Summit Racing that are in Delco's "Gold" filter line. Don

The 5W-30 grade is the minimum spec. 0W-40 grade oil provides a wider range of operating temps, as in it's a better oil that the minimum required. The Cadillac V-Club had a presentation from Mobil-1 earlier this year. They provided a bunch of info. Including the fact that GM changed the specification which led to dexOS R versus the old desOS 2 - reference gmdexos.com There is only one certified oi Mobil 1 Supercar 0W-40 or 5W-50. Since you are in Texas, you can use either although 5W-50 would be better in the Texas heat.

1694575944363.png

Filter online @ AutoZone

UPF63R is a Mobil 1 filter with a Delco Gold sticker on it

The 5W-30 grade is the minimum spec. 0W-40 grade oil provides a wider range of operating temps, as in it's a better oil that the minimum required. The Cadillac V-Club had a presentation from Mobil-1 earlier this year. They provided a bunch of info. Including the fact that GM changed the specification which led to dexOS R versus the old desOS 2 - reference gmdexos.com There is only one certified oi Mobil 1 Supercar 0W-40 or 5W-50. Since you are in Texas, you can use either although 5W-50 would be better in the Texas heat.

View attachment 21716
Do you have a service bulletin or something that says those viscosities are good for use on a 4BW? And from what I can tell, the only diff on the 63R filter is the bypass pressure.

Id just be wary of presentations made by the company that is the sole source provider of a product. “Of course its amazing, we are the only ones who make it.”

That the 4 & 5 BW came out at the same time but only the 5 calls for the supercar spec is interesting and Id be cautious of what the turbos think of the different viscosity.

Last edited:
Do you have a service bulletin or something that says those viscosities are good for use on a 4BW? And from what I can tell, the only diff on the 63R filter is the bypass pressure.

Id just be wary of presentations made by the company that is the sole source provider of a product. “Of course its amazing, we are the only ones who make it.”

That the 4 & 5 BE came out at the same time but only the 5 calls for the supercar spec is interesting and Id be cautious of what the turbos think of the different viscosity.
I only use 5w30 Dexos1 in my 4BW but I use the UPF63R filter now. It is definitely feels more robust than the standard one for a few bucks more but my baby is worth it. :)

If you want to see one cut open watch this video.

Some good discussions about oil change and filter differences in these threads:

I only use 5w30 Dexos1 in my 4BW but I use the UPF63R filter now. It is definitely feels more robust than the standard one for a few bucks more but my baby is worth it. :)

Since you're running the UPF63r, you'll know the answer. Is that filter longer and if so does it hang low enough to be scraped off in a low clearance event? Thanks, Don

I was going to buy the UPF63R until someone pointed out that the holes are less (6 vs 8) and they are smaller. I also read a comment on youtube where it caused oil pressure variations in their Silverado. I decided to go with the manufacturer recommended PF63. Probably won't make a difference either way. I will also be using the 5W30 that's on the oil filler cap for the 4BW.

Yeah, couple interesting takeaways worth considering. The thicker body is where the weight comes from, hence the heft.

More importantly for me though, the standard PF63, at least the part number in the manual, actually has MORE filtering surface area than the UPF63R and a nearly identical particle filtration rating, ~30 microns.

UPF63R (per your linked vid) - 45.5" x 2.75" = 121.125 sq in.
PF63 (part# 12707246) - 55" x 2.75" = 151.25 sq in.

These numbers came from a vid on the PF63 but the guy measured the entire width of the filter media @ 3.25" and in the UPF vid the guy measured between the endcaps which IMO is more accurate so I knocked .5" off the measured width of the PF63 for apples/apples.

pf63.jpg

Aside from the heavier body and higher bypass ratio on the UPF, the only other difference I can see is the thicker rubber base gasket. The filter media is also different but has the same micron rating as the media on the standard PF63 so no clear indication one is better. So clearly this filter is meant for higher pressure operations but whether or not that actually matters when the standard PF63 is good to a rated burst pressure of 253.8psi is for you to decide.

More importantly is whether it is actually a better a filter and not just a heavier duty filter and I dont really see the evidence for that.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back