Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

No cylinder deactivation on the 5Wing Manual transmission?

Does that imply the LT4 M6 also has all the other parts listed in the video above. Like the high pressure oil pump and the cam.
I have read they are the same. It is it easier for them to build just one iteration of the LT4 that can work in both M6 and A10 applications and just disable it in the tune as needed.

However, on the 4BW the LF4 engines in the M6 cars have titanium connecting rods while the A10 cars don't, which was done as a cost cutting measure. So who knows?

Some of those engine builders post on FB. Might ask one of them what's inside (if they are allowed by GM to answer).

I have read they are the same. It is it easier for them to build just one iteration of the LT4 that can work in both M6 and A10 applications and just disable it in the tune as needed.

However, on the 4BW the LF4 engines in the M6 cars have titanium connecting rods while the A10 cars don't, which was done as a cost cutting measure. So who knows?
Is this really a thing? @WONT TAP

my v8 twin turbo audi has cylinder deactivation and on highway its definetly a big mpg improvement and is very smooth if you're accelerating gently or just cruising.
if i'm an ecu software developer at audi however I left some usability things on the table like how inconsistent the 3500rpm threshhold for when its supposed to turn on/off is and that dynamic/sports mode doesn't disable it altogether. so if you have an aftermarket exhaust like I do you end up with awkward scenarios where your exhaust note is constantly going up and down depending on if the ecu decides you should only be using half your cylinders. around town it can be annoying.
i've considered getting a tune installed just so I can tune this out

Is this really a thing? @WONT TAP
You mean the 4BW M6 cars having titanium connecting rods while the A10 cars don't?

If so, yes, it is a real thing. They claim the A10 cars didn't really need them since the A10 transmission helped keep the average RPM up so they saved cost on those engines and if you figure the majority of 4BWs built are automatics, there is a savings there.

That was the most annoying issue I had on my 2017 V. After taking a 150 mile trip when I first bought it, I was watching the "V-8/V-4" display and could not believe how often it engaged. There is no way that can be good for the drivetrain. I bought a Range bypass, instant relief, and never looked back. I then took it out and put it in my 2019 V when I traded it in..... on the dealer lot before I drove off. So glad that is not an issue with the Blackwing.

That was the most annoying issue I had on my 2017 V. After taking a 150 mile trip when I first bought it, I was watching the "V-8/V-4" display and could not believe how often it engaged. There is no way that can be good for the drivetrain. I bought a Range bypass, instant relief, and never looked back. I then took it out and put it in my 2019 V when I traded it in..... on the dealer lot before I drove off. So glad that is not an issue with the Blackwing.

Remember the 8-6-4 debacle? GM has been at this tech for so long and it only seems to create more problems than it solves.

You mean the 4BW M6 cars having titanium connecting rods while the A10 cars don't?

If so, yes, it is a real thing. They claim the A10 cars didn't really need them since the A10 transmission helped keep the average RPM up so they saved cost on those engines and if you figure the majority of 4BWs built are automatics, there is a savings there.

This is wild, I get it I suppose.

Good read thank you

This is wild, I get it I suppose.

Good read thank you
Yeah, it is surprising they would have two different engine parts numbers for the same car. They say they felt it wasn't needed with the A10 and I kinda get it, then also said they had the titanium rods available so decided to use them in the M6 to help it rev a little better and close the gap in performance between the M6 and A10. I have a M6 and one of the things I notice right away is it does have a very responsive rev to it. It kind of feels like it has a lightened flywheel to help it spin up quick but maybe it is just the titanium connecting rods. It is one of the characteristics of this LF4 engine that I like over the LT1 V8.

Remember the 8-6-4 debacle? GM has been at this tech for so long and it only seems to create more problems than it solves.

Yes, and then the CAGS (1-4 shift) on my 06 Z06....bought a bypass for that one too...

Yes, and then the CAGS (1-4 shift) on my 06 Z06....bought a bypass for that one too...
Hindsight, this was GMs way to "improve" EPA MPGs by program CAGS to match the EPAs emissions test speeds & shifting patterns.

Hindsight, this was GMs way to "improve" EPA MPGs by program CAGS to match the EPAs emissions test speeds & shifting patterns.
That 1>4 shift was the most annoying thing ever and dumb, as people would either give it more gas and burn more fuel while first gear so it wouldn't lock out 2nd gear or buy the skip shift eliminator for $10.

Start/Stop, DFM/AFM cylinder deactivation, skip shift. Just leave it alone GM. I will pay the damn gas guzzler tax, please just stop the madness.

Reactions: CGB
That 1>4 shift was the most annoying thing ever and dumb, as people would either give it more gas and burn more fuel while first gear so it wouldn't lock out 2nd gear or buy the skip shift eliminator for $10.
It's almost like it was intended as a gift from GM: avoid the GG tax and defeat it fairly easily.

Nah, they wouldn't want to help their customers are all, would they?

(Hint: that's exactly what it was for).

Start/Stop, DFM/AFM cylinder deactivation, skip shift. Just leave it alone GM. I will pay the damn gas guzzler tax, please just stop the madness.

I actually didn't mind the 1-4. It helped mask the 2nd gear grind/notchiness of the tremec, since it was most noticible when shifting at low revs/ low load.

It's almost like it was intended as a gift from GM: avoid the GG tax and defeat it fairly easily.

Nah, they wouldn't want to help their customers are all, would they?

(Hint: that's exactly what it was for).
I was pleased when I learned how easy it was to defeat on the 2002 C5 Z06.

I was pleased when I learned how easy it was to defeat on the 2002 C5 Z06.
Yea, and it was fairly cheap too. I think I still have my cags bypass resistor/plug from my '01 camaro ss. When I did the ls6 crate engine, I just tuned it out with hptuners. When I got my '05 ctsv, I just turned skipshift off and raised the speed limiter right away with hptuners too.

The easiest way to defeat it was quit lugging it !!

Reasonable 1st gear acceleration is enough to keep it from stepping in. It rarely happened to me, but when it did, it was a reminder of just how ludicrous all this "conservation" regulation is.

Think about it: 1->4 would naturally make sense only if you redline 1st gear. So what does uncle same recommend ? The opposite..........

it is refreshing that BWs lack that irritant too. I'm so happy all those silly annoyances are just absent.

Yea, and it was fairly cheap too. I think I still have my cags bypass resistor/plug from my '01 camaro ss. When I did the ls6 crate engine, I just tuned it out with hptuners. When I got my '05 ctsv, I just turned skipshift off and raised the speed limiter right away with hptuners too.
Same here. Once I got HP Tuners I learned you could tune it out in software. Then added a intake, cam, headers, long tubes and learned to tune the MAF and bump timing, etc. Lots of fun on that car.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back