Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

m340i to 4 Blackwing...why?

Wow!
That is crazy. If that is the case then I was wrong about BMW repairs being reasonable. Fortunately, our local BMW dealers are reasonable and send many service coupons.
Service coupons from BMW are a far cry from Chevrolet. Cadillac is in between the two. Now getting away from oil/filters and fluids....you have one HUGE money draining pit called BMW. Them da facts!

None of my BMWs required more than basic maintenance in the combined 60k miles that I put on the two cars. One thing the BMWs had on my 4BW, i was able to put them on the quick jacks and lift them without an 18+ page thread
It's the same with Ford truck owners in my opinion. They are done with their vehicles 60k long before 100k+ never a problem. I don't even think about dumping my GM powertrains until way long in the tooth! I will be upset if I can't get 200k out of my GM junk? Only a fool is taking a BMW into the 200's and good luck with that unless you like spending money?

Go take Camaro SS and a BMW 340i is that what the #ing thing is for it? Just beat the snot out of the vehicles past 100k and talk to me about the BMW ownership costs at that point? lol

I like cars. I typically only have them from 2-6 years with some of them being new, some used (2 out of 3 BMWs). I've had 10 cars in the last 30 years. I've done a lot of commuting with anywhere from 25 to 110 miles a day. None of my cars have actually been problematic. I just get tired of them and move on. The Blackwing will probably be my last

MookDocOE, I wasn't trying to impugn your knowledge, only sharing what I know from my and my brother's experiences. My brother's 2006 BMW 330 has had a fuel pump die, my 2003 Z4 had the relay for the secondary air pump die, but that's been it aside from the maintenance we do ourselves.

Last edited:
Never said m340 was better than 4BW. I believe that if you already have a m340 then there is no need to move on from it to 4BW, unless money is of no concern. Personally, I prefer the looks of the m340 over 4BW.
I’m not sure why everyone thinks maintenance is so high on the BMW. I find the repair cost on BMW to be very reasonable. Maybe I’m delusional because I live in Porsche land.
Dealer wanted $280 to change my oil when I was a kid and they realized my ZM3 was in fact an M car lol. I did them myself instead. I've been paying $69 for oil changes at the dealer for my BlackWing. I'm much more comfortable with my BlackWing crossing 100k than I am a modern BMW.

I like cars. I typically only have them from 2-6 years with some of them being new, some used (2 out of 3 BMWs). I've had 10 cars in the last 30 years. I've done a lot of commuting with anywhere from 25 to 110 miles a day. None of my cars have actually been problematic. I just get tired of them and move on. The Blackwing will probably be my last

MookDocOE, I wasn't trying to impugn your knowledge, only sharing what I know from my and my brother's experiences. My brother's 2006 BMW 330 has had a fuel pump die, my 2003 Z4 had the relay for the secondary air pump die, but that's been it aside from the maintenance we do ourselves.
I hear what your saying!

I know all the vehicles at some point will cost out of pocket and many are just unreasonably priced.

Dealer wanted $280 to change my oil when I was a kid and they realized my ZM3 was in fact an M car lol. I did them myself instead. I've been paying $69 for oil changes at the dealer for my BlackWing. I'm much more comfortable with my BlackWing crossing 100k than I am a modern BMW.
You are getting a good deal. My dealers are charging up to 150 for an oil change. I guess stealership is a correct description.

I was under the impression that current BMW's are more reliable. I'm taking about the B58/S58 platform.

Go see what a Porsche dealer charges for an oil change. Plus the 4 year service costs…then, if you have a GT car or a car with 4 wheel steering…that requires a Li Ion battery at the 6 year mark (if it makes it that far) …the battery alone is over 3k…..and you really can’t use an aftermarket one cause the BMS….don’t like that….so although a caddy dealer is not cheap…compared to Porsche….its not that bad. One the 991 and 992, you have to take the rear bumper off…just to change the air filter. Spark plugs? All kinds of stuff gotta come off.

Thanks for posting your thoughts on this! I had the M340 on my short list because I'm sure it would be a fantastic daily. But when it's the same price (at least in my neck of the woods) as a nicely equipped 4BW, plus nowhere near as engaging or track-ready, the 4BW seemed like the obvious choice.

Oh yeah, another example of modern BMW dealer experience. I had about a 1yr F30 3 series that had the battery go bad. Dealer wanted $715 installed and wouldn't warranty it as they said the car sat too much without being driven due to the low mileage. Umm what?

As my blackwing wound up getting shipped from Lansing the clutch went out on my 2013 535i. $4,200 to replace both clutch and flywheel at 76,000 miles. I felt that was a bit steep on a 9 year old car.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back