Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

m340i to 4 Blackwing...why?

I drove a 2020 M340 when I was in the market a couple years ago and wound up with an Alfa Giulia (pre Blackwing, obviously).

Wholeheartedly agree with the SXM "Chill" comment. Just not the same level of engagement as the Alfa and certainly not the CT4. Ze Germans have lost their sense of fun.

I was strongly interested in the prior M2 comp...but this new M2 doesn't do it for me the same way. I would also have been very interested in the Alpha...as well a the Audi RS3...but again no MT...pretty much a deal breaker for me...

chwells - great write up BTW - much thanks!

Now I only managed 180 in my Audi (and 150 with a canoe on top)....not sure i will ever test the 189 in the BW....lol

I have driven multiple M340s and I was less than impressed. It is not a M car. The steering is terrible and the handling is OK. The acceleration is very good. The maintenance will be expensive and repairs outside of the warranty will be astronomical. I had a BMW M550 and the dealer quoted me $580 to replace the 2 engine air filters. The filters were only $75, therefore the labor was $505 for 15 minutes of work. BMW is outrageous on their labor prices.

I owned a 2018 M2, 2020 M340i, 2022 M4C (AT), 2018 718 Cayman GTS, 2023 M4 CSL (Briefly, not tracked), 2023 M3 (6MT) and now 2023 CT4-V Blackwing (AT), incoming 2024 CT4-V Blackwing (6MT).

I took them all to the track and I will just say the Blackwing is unbeatable as a driver's car that is still usable and it's really track ready vs the others. The price of the 4BW is very good for what you get, the Mag-ride is superior to any car I listed here.

I owned a 2018 M2, 2020 M340i, 2022 M4C (AT), 2018 718 Cayman GTS, 2023 M4 CSL (Briefly, not tracked), 2023 M3 (6MT) and now 2023 CT4-V Blackwing (AT), incoming 2024 CT4-V Blackwing (6MT).

I took them all to the track and I will just say the Blackwing is unbeatable as a driver's car that is still usable and it's really track ready vs the others. The price of the 4BW is very good for what you get, the Mag-ride is superior to any car I listed here.
I agree 100 percent. BMW has lost their way. Steering that is disconnected and a suspension that doesn't measure up to the Blackwing.

Are you replacing the AT or adding the MT?

I finally read your blog post and have to agree. I had a 23 M440i X-drive convertible, but it just wasn't doing it for me, having to drop another couple grand to get wheels and tires fit for the track, the suspension never seemed to be the right ride and the parking brake right next to the roof button was driving me nuts. Mine had Idrive 7, which gave me more heat/ac controls at my fingertips, but the car just never really did it for me. Quick, yes, fast, yes, but the Blackwing test drive kept nagging me that I did the wrong thing

I had a 2020 m340i. It was my DD and it did its job adequately. BMW makes wonderful cars and I have nothing bad to say about the brand. I’ve had an BMW in my driveway since 1990, and currently have G42 m240i and G80 M3. Everything was fine except the seats were too hard for me. Dakota leather is not my favorite, to say the least. IMHO, A10 4BW is no better than the current generation m340. Of course, the manual is a different story.

I had a 2020 m340i. It was my DD and it did its job adequately. BMW makes wonderful cars and I have nothing bad to say about the brand. I’ve had an BMW in my driveway since 1990, and currently have G42 m240i and G80 M3. Everything was fine except the seats were too hard for me. Dakota leather is not my favorite, to say the least. IMHO, A10 4BW is no better than the current generation m340. Of course, the manual is a different story.
Have to agree the M340i was one of the best daily driver I ever owned and mine being Canadian spec had extended merino leather 2 tone Fiona, nothing to say about the seats for its function.

If I wouldn't be into track days
I'd probably still own this car but would probably daily my A10 Blackwing if I didn't live in cold ice winter land.

Attachments

• 20220505_110407.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 38
  • 20220508_125807.jpg
    20220508_125807.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:
It doesn’t seem fair that Canadians get all of the good options. I can’t believe Dakota leather is actually an option. BMW is becoming the new Porsche, option a la carte everything.
I completely agree with PL69. If you are not going to track your car then it make no sense going from m340 to 4 BW.

Agreed, if I had bought an M340i x-drive with non-square 195s (like the M440i that I had) I would probably still be posting on the M-Lite boards. And yes, that Dakota Leather is definitely not worth the the extra charge

It doesn’t seem fair that Canadians get all of the good options. I can’t believe Dakota leather is actually an option. BMW is becoming the new Porsche, option a la carte everything.
I completely agree with PL69. If you are not going to track your car then it make no sense going from m340 to 4 BW.
I am not tracking my Blackwing and it makes perfect sense to have a Blackwing over the BMW. The steering and suspension on the Blackwing are far superior to the BMW. Also, I like the looks of the Blackwing better. Who wants the cost of ownership on the BMW? I don't. Finally, I am far closer to a GM repair facility as compared to a BMW dealership. I live in southern Washington and I don't want to drive to Portland or Beaverton Oregon.

I am not tracking my Blackwing and it makes perfect sense to have a Blackwing over the BMW. The steering and suspension on the Blackwing are far superior to the BMW. Also, I like the looks of the Blackwing better. Who wants the cost of ownership on the BMW? I don't. Finally, I am far closer to a GM repair facility as compared to a BMW dealership. I live in southern Washington and I don't want to drive to Portland or Beaverton Oregon.
Never said m340 was better than 4BW. I believe that if you already have a m340 then there is no need to move on from it to 4BW, unless money is of no concern. Personally, I prefer the looks of the m340 over 4BW.
I’m not sure why everyone thinks maintenance is so high on the BMW. I find the repair cost on BMW to be very reasonable. Maybe I’m delusional because I live in Porsche land.

Never said m340 was better than 4BW. I believe that if you already have a m340 then there is no need to move on from it to 4BW, unless money is of no concern. Personally, I prefer the looks of the m340 over 4BW.
I’m not sure why everyone thinks maintenance is so high on the BMW. I find the repair cost on BMW to be very reasonable. Maybe I’m delusional because I live in Porsche land.
We have multiple BMW dealers here who are gouging people on repairs. For a maintenance item, one dealer charged $1,500 per hour for labor. I am not exaggerating. I wasn't one of the suckers who paid such an extreme price for a simple DIY. I even brought my concerns to the service manager and he could have cared less. Needless to say, I won't be buying anything from that dealer.

We have multiple BMW dealers here who are gouging people on repairs. For a maintenance item, one dealer charged $1,500 per hour for labor. I am not exaggerating.
You can buy a lot of different kinds of services for $1500/hr and some may be worth it, but not a car repair.

We have multiple BMW dealers here who are gouging people on repairs. For a maintenance item, one dealer charged $1,500 per hour for labor. I am not exaggerating. I wasn't one of the suckers who paid such an extreme price for a simple DIY. I even brought my concerns to the service manager and he could have cared less. Needless to say, I won't be buying anything from that dealer.
Wow!
That is crazy. If that is the case then I was wrong about BMW repairs being reasonable. Fortunately, our local BMW dealers are reasonable and send many service coupons.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back