Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Lane centering is horrible on my CT4 BW

Wilkinda65

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CadillacCT4-V Blackwing
The lane centering on my car is terrible. I’ve gone through the options and set it to assist and such. I can literally be almost a 1/3 of the width of my car into the other lane before it will bring the car back into my lane. Even then it’s barely into my lane all the way.

In comparison, my GT500 w would land center beautifully, as did my Explorer ST.

Anyone else having a similar issue? Maybe it’s needs a calibration

I tried it once on my 5BW and it was just as bad. It actually is a little better than my 2018 S6 which was ping-pong city. But the wife's Telluride is amazing. It even handles twisting country roads perfectly. I don't particularly care but for a company that supposedly has some of the best autonomous driving features, it is a bit disappointing.

I hate when the car tugs at the wheel so I always turn it off. LKA is enough for me.

The lane centering on my car is terrible. I’ve gone through the options and set it to assist and such. I can literally be almost a 1/3 of the width of my car into the other lane before it will bring the car back into my lane. Even then it’s barely into my lane all the way.

That's because the blackwings don't have lane centering. They have lane departure assist. It sounds like it should be the same thing but it is not. Lane departure is meant not to intervene unless it thinks you are unintentionally going drift out of lane, but purposefully does not give constant steering inputs to keep you in the middle of the lane.

GMs actual lane centering tech is wrapped up with their supercruise and supposedly it's excellent. There was some talk as to why you can't use the lane centering without using supercruise and some people think it's because they don't want people to get confused as to when supercruise is active. That is a shame because some cars don't have supercruise and only some roads are supercruise available.

The lane departure is different than Level 2 autonomous driving. It’s not for keeping the car centered in the lane. My AMG had both and lane centering only works when level 2 is activated. My 5BW is MT so I only have lane departure as far as I can tell it works the way it’s intended to.

That's because the blackwings don't have lane centering. They have lane departure assist. It sounds like it should be the same thing but it is not. Lane departure is meant not to intervene unless it thinks you are unintentionally going drift out of lane, but purposefully does not give constant steering inputs to keep you in the middle of the lane.

GMs actual lane centering tech is wrapped up with their supercruise and supposedly it's excellent. There was some talk as to why you can't use the lane centering without using supercruise and some people think it's because they don't want people to get confused as to when supercruise is active. That is a shame because some cars don't have supercruise and only some roads are supercruise available.
That makes sense now that you describe it but seems even more worthless. Adaptive cruise control (not available on the MT, a topic beat to death in another thread) is actually the one thing I like for long trips and lane centering is an added bonus. Just seems that if Kia can provide that on a $40k 3-row SUV ......... But I understand your supercruise explanation.

That makes sense now that you describe it but seems even more worthless. Adaptive cruise control (not available on the MT, a topic beat to death in another thread) is actually the one thing I like for long trips and lane centering is an added bonus. Just seems that if Kia can provide that on a $40k 3-row SUV ......... But I understand your supercruise explanation.

It's got a different purpose than lane centering.

My BMW has both and they both have their place.

Lane departure assist is something that's a safety net feature that you can leave on all the time, much like emergency braking assist. It intervenes when it thinks it needs to for safety but doesn't actively fight you. Just like you wouldn't always depend on emergency braking assist to stop your car in normal driving, you wouldn't rely on lane departure assist to keep in your lane. If you were driving perfectly in your lane, the system should not engage. I leave the system on in both our cars that have it. This system usually will default to on when you restart the car if you've selected it to be active.

Lane centering is an active driving aid, not a safety feature. Much like active cruise control, it's not something you can leave on all the time, and the cars won't let you. Manual input disengage the system (brakes for ACC, large steering inputs for lane centering). Most systems don't stop for traffic lights or stop signs. You have to actively engage it each time when you are in a situation that it is useful, it does not default to on when you restart the car.

It's got a different purpose than lane centering.

My BMW has both and they both have their place.

Lane departure assist is something that's a safety net feature that you can leave on all the time, much like emergency braking assist. It intervenes when it thinks it needs to for safety but doesn't actively fight you. Just like you wouldn't always depend on emergency braking assist to stop your car in normal driving, you wouldn't rely on lane departure assist to keep in your lane. If you were driving perfectly in your lane, the system should not engage. I leave the system on in both our cars that have it. This system usually will default to on when you restart the car if you've selected it to be active.

Lane centering is an active driving aid, not a safety feature. Much like active cruise control, it's not something you can leave on all the time, and the cars won't let you. Manual input disengage the system (brakes for ACC, large steering inputs for lane centering). Most systems don't stop for traffic lights or stop signs. You have to actively engage it each time when you are in a situation that it is useful, it does not default to on when you restart the car.
Some manufacturers conflate the two. My Genesis G70 6MT, for example, had lane keep assist that was so good it pretty much functioned as lane centering. It would not pogo between sides of the lane when going straight, and it would steer cleanly through gradual turns. It would disengage if it did not have dashed or solid lines demarking the lane, or if the turn was too sharp. It could be left on all the time, and on or off status would persist through key cycles. It could stay in the lane hands free for about 15-20 seconds before you needed to touch the wheel.

I typically left if off but sometimes found it useful when having a snack. 😬

Some manufacturers conflate the two. My Genesis G70 6MT, for example, had lane keep assist that was so good it pretty much functioned as lane centering. It would not pogo between sides of the lane when going straight, and it would steer cleanly through gradual turns. It would disengage if it did not have dashed or solid lines demarking the lane, or if the turn was too sharp. It could be left on all the time, and on or off status would persist through key cycles. It could stay in the lane hands free for about 15-20 seconds before you needed to touch the wheel.

I typically left if off but sometimes found it useful when having a snack. 😬

It seems like Genesis has since separated the two functions, lane keep assist and lane following assist

Everyone's got their own names for these systems, pro-pilot, autopilot, driving assistant pro, etc. They are bundled a bit differently. It confuses the shit out of people. Sooner or later they need to regulate and standardize this so that people don't assume one system is going to work just like another and go crashing into something expecting the car to stop or steer.

I rented a newer suburban a while back with the lane departure assist thing. I was driving out to Detroit area from NYC taking rt 80. I figured id see how good it was. It seemed to do pretty good at keeping that big suv in my lane. I had it on cruise control and took my hands off the wheel, then after 3 or 4 automatic corrections, it yelled at me to put my hands back on the wheel. Wife didn't find it as amusing as I did.

My 5 reacts pretty quik when it drifts out of the lane with assist to pull you back in, to the point where it can be somewhat annoying when you are changing lanes and have to tug the car towards where you want to go, however it works? And its safe.... Maybe sensor issues or some type of calibration needed? What I can share is on my car no chronic problem at all, for me it's the horn....gotta fish around sometimes but my dealer says they have a lock on the problem next time I bring it in. Good luck you will find a fix, lots of Tech going on with the 4's & 5's.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back