Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

How is the CT5V BW in mundane driving?

Clubracer6

How do you find the CT5V BW manual in normal, boring driving? I had a 911 996 Turbo w/500whp a while back and it was not really fun until you were deep into 3rd gear, which at the point you are a felon. I think the CT4V is probably more my jam in terms of daily fun, but the back seat room is a bit of a deal breaker. My commute is 12 minutes and most of that in single lane, so really I already feel a bit silly blowing a 100k on a car that will occasionally get exercised. But I just love the formula, many have compared it to my old E39 M5’s which were some of my favorite cars. I may keep my old gen 1 raptor as a winter beater, but for this kind of dough, I really don’t want the BW to be sitting around.

I had a lot of the same thoughts and concerns you mention. I wanted to save money and get a 4BW but they were just half a size too small for my needs. The 5BW has exceeded all of my expectations, including how friendly and easy it is to use in normal driving and even in the rain (as long as your right foot has a little restraint!). The 6sp is such an engaging transmission and it makes even a trip to the grocery store a fun experience. And then when you do want to drive like a jackhat, the car is so locked down and precise that you will be shocked. My 5BW replaced a 2021 Civic Type R ad my 'alt daily' (had a Trackhawk as my true daily, replaced it with Jaguar F Pace SVR) and I was concerned the 5BW would be TOO much performance on the daily commute but, man, no way it's superb all the way around. And yes it's not as small and agile as a Type R but it also is a lot more fun with that big V8 and the ability to slide the rear around on command.

Bottom line: I can't imagine anyone not liking a 5BW 6sp as a daily driver.

For me in My Mode it's always an event just starting it up, driving around sedately, pulling into parking lots etc 😆. My Mode settings help with exhaust at the loudest setting, plus the engagement of shifting gears with the manual. The low end torque with the LT4 also makes it fun enough at lower rpms

Good feedback, thank you! With the low torque does does that allow you to shift more often as you do not feel the need to regularly see redline. Those first two gears being so long is also a bit annoying, but maybe you shift a bit earlier to get your shift in. Anyone ever go from first to 5th or 6th?

There's always the non-Blackwing 5V. It has most of the goodies without the big motor and price tag.

Good feedback, thank you! With the low torque does does that allow you to shift more often as you do not feel the need to regularly see redline. Those first two gears being so long is also a bit annoying, but maybe you shift a bit earlier to get your shift in. Anyone ever go from first to 5th or 6th?
I've never done that. There is another thread about gearing and I also thought the talls gears would be annoying but, in fact, they are really well judged. Because the motor is such a friendly monster, even in semi-spirited driving you can find yourself shifting at say 4k rpm, which means you shift quite a bit and at lower speeds than if you are winding it out.

it really is fun and engaging just cruising around especially with the 6 speed. In mundane driving, I always use the V mode button with all settings maxed out (exhaust, steering, braking) except suspension in middle setting…so you still get all the pops from exhaust, tight steering, and a not too firm ride. For someone who likes to row gears, this is the first car where I have actually enjoyed using auto rev match on downshifts just for how good it does it and the noise. As for gearing for regular driving, I take 1st to 20-30 mph, 2nd to 25-40 mph, 3rd to 35-50 mph, 4th to 45-50+ and it’s fine.

I have a Lexus IS350 I daily but I have taken my Blackwing to work a couple of times. My work drive is 75 miles one way and consists of 90% highway driving, thankfully I work hybrid and right now my schedule allows me to only have to be in the office one day a week. There is ALWAYS at least 30 min of traffic that I sit in. The Blackwing is just fantastic. Due to all the torque everywhere, traffic is effortlessly dealt with with a little gas input and you can creep along. The seats are comfy so I'm never fatigued. I could literally sit in the car all day and never feel fatigued.

I've seriously considered selling the Lexus and just using the Blackwing exclusively. It's just that good at everything including mundane driving in traffic.

There's always the non-Blackwing 5V. It has most of the goodies without the big motor and price tag.
I’ve actually considered one with a sports car to go with it, but really trying to get to a single car solution and with that a manual is a must.

Absolutely an extremely enjoyable and easy going car during mundane driving.

One of the few cars I’ve owned, where I can drive it all week for work (60 miles a day), and still get that special feeling on the weekends.

I’ve owned my manual 5BW for 10 months and 9k miles. I grew somewhat bored of my last M3 pretty quick, but I’m still completely enjoying every minute with the BW. I mark that up to the best engine and transmission I’ve ever experienced.

Last edited:
I didn't buy my 5BW to be a daily driver, however, it easily could be. It's just a Cadillac in my mode and a beast in V mode. Coming from a 2019 Shelby GT350, I quickly learned that I did not have to drive fast to have fun. Rowing gears with the exhaust turned up is such a delight.

I grew somewhat bored of my last M3 pretty quick, but I’m still completely enjoying every minute with the BW. I mark that up to the best engine and transmission I’ve ever experienced.
Which M3? I sold my F80 last fall and the G80 is another option.
Coming from a 2019 Shelby GT350
Interesting as that is one of my sport car options if I go with a nicer daily and a sports car. How does the GT350 and 5VBW compare?

RE: GT350 - I posted this in another thread a couple of months ago:

"OP - 2024 5BW 6sp and 2020 GT350R owner here. I was a little apprehensive about ordering the 5BW without being able to drive it, in large part because I had not really enjoyed other GM performance cars I had driven (Gen 2 CTSVs, GTO, Vettes, Camaro SS 1LE, etc). My 350R is so OHMYGODMYHAIRISONFIRE (which I love about it!) and I do think that Ford (and SRT) make their cars a lot more visceral and rowdy feeling than GM. The 5BW has been a real eye-opener - so fast and precise and a total nut job when you want it to be but also super smooth and calm and normal when you aren't in the mood. I have mentioned it in other threads, but the car needs slightly more exhaust noise and just a touch of blower whine to be pretty much perfect.

Oh, and do NOT sell your 350R. They fight so far above their weight and are already iconic. I wish the LT4 in the 5BW had half the character of the Voodoo!"

Which M3? I sold my F80 last fall and the G80 is another option.

Interesting as that is one of my sport car options if I go with a nicer daily and a sports car. How does the GT350 and 5VBW compare?
I had a manual E90 M3 a while back. Incredible car. Slow, but full of character.

Picked up a G80 Comp when they were released. Had that for a couple years and 20k miles. Traded it on my current 5BW last year. Truly loved the G80, however, it lacked soul. Plus, I was never a fan of the S58 experience. Incredible engine, but just did nothing for me (mostly sound). I have been an M fanatic since my high school days in the 90s, but the M brand is so different now.

I have an 8-minute door to door commute.

I've owned:
2012 CTSV
2017 CTSV

And now: 2018 GLE63S AMG and a 2024 5VBW.

To say that I overbought is a understatement. But like @Ty88 said: easy to drive slow, very fun to drive fast.

I just remind myself that whether I'm in either of my cars or a 88hp Geo Metro, 30mph sucks no matter what. The times I can stretch my legs on an open piece of road still make it worth it.

Picked up a G80 Comp when they were released. Had that for a couple years and 20k miles. Traded it on my current 5BW last year. Truly loved the G80, however, it lacked soul.
Fish is one of the guys I wrote to about the BW before I bought it. I came from (my second) G82 manual before buying the BW CT5/manual. I never looked back.
How do you find the CT5V BW manual in normal, boring driving? . . . many have compared it to my old E39 M5’s which were some of my favorite cars.
I too had a few E39 M5s. They were phenomenal cars in their day. The BW is better in every regard except perhaps looks. Although the BMW shifter wasn't as notchy and stiff when cold, it's also a lot sloppier.

Yeah, but no manual.

I usually don't drive mine Mundane though Fridane. It's mostly just for weekends.

giphy.gif

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners