Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V Kooks exhaust

CT5-V Model
Unfortunately, Kooks told me today they stopped working on the muffler. He cited valving issues, so I guess they gave up on the adjustable setup.

Borla also confirmed they have no immediate plans to offer anything. A donor car to use for prototypes was mentioned as one of their primary obstacles. I promptly offered to be their guinea pig. They didn't even offer resistance to an even trade. :)

I'll keep y'all posted if anything comes from it.

Does anyone have experience running Borla exhaust ? I can't say I've heard one in person, so I would love a subjective review of the sound and how loud it is.

Video clips on your phone or PC can never offer any type of real glimpse of what a V8 really sounds like.
I ran a borla S type with NPP on my 6th gen Camaro, it was plenty loud but a bit raspy at high RPMs for me. Excellent quality and customer service. Ended up swapping for an AWE setup and couldn’t have been happier. I could care less about valves, at this point I’m between just buying AWE Camaro mufflers and fabbing to fit or ponying up and doing the kooks LTs. Id really like to hear them on a car before spending that kind of money. I’m also concerned that the car has so much sound deadening it almost doesn’t matter what is done for interior volume. I forget how loud these cars are outside as is until I let my buddy drive my car lol.

Yeah, I had the windows down today and it does make a difference. :)

I found AWE during my recent search. They offer a straight pipe setup that's essentially what my local shop did for my 5th Gen. I haven't crawled under my ZL1 - do 6th Gen cars also have resonators ?

I watched as the last local shop that turned me down for the Caddy pointed out that there is nothing between the cats right at the engine and the mufflers. They said it would be orders of magnitude louder than my old Camaro, but that's hard to believe.

So it sounds like your AWE was much louder and more aggressive overall than the Borla ?

Yeah, I had the windows down today and it does make a difference. :)

I found AWE during my recent search. They offer a straight pipe setup that's essentially what my local shop did for my 5th Gen. I haven't crawled under my ZL1 - do 6th Gen cars also have resonators ?

I watched as the last local shop that turned me down for the Caddy pointed out that there is nothing between the cats right at the engine and the mufflers. They said it would be orders of magnitude louder than my old Camaro, but that's hard to believe.

So it sounds like your AWE was much louder and more aggressive overall than the Borla ?
I'll DM you, don't want to totally clutter the thread

Sounds incredible!

Wild the Catless versions didn’t pick up more power. Sounds good though, I’m assuming it’s a noticeable change in sound in person.

Have you experienced any CEL for the new cats on those headers yet?
We only tested the Green catted version for ~ 25 miles. We drove almost 200 miles with the offroad pipes. Not a single check engine light or DTC was experienced. However, I'm sure they will set eventually...

I spoke to AWE. Unfortunately they have decided not to pursue Blackwing exhaust. They may reevaluate in the future, but off the table for now.

I was shocked since they already have stock models for McLaren 570 and a 3 model-year-only AMG 63 E series. There is no way either of those cars sold more than the number of blackwings so far, much less in the next couple of years or so.

He offered that a ZL1 setup might work, but I really don't think it would. The Camaro has a secondary cat/resonator, which our cars to do not. That lets the straight pipes on the Camaro sound great. Not sure what the BW would sound like wide open.......and resonators are much more vehicle specific than mufflers............so the options appear very limited.

This is really killing me. :(

I spoke to AWE. Unfortunately they have decided not to pursue Blackwing exhaust. They may reevaluate in the future, but off the table for now.

I was shocked since they already have stock models for McLaren 570 and a 3 model-year-only AMG 63 E series. There is no way either of those cars sold more than the number of blackwings so far, much less in the next couple of years or so.

He offered that a ZL1 setup might work, but I really don't think it would. The Camaro has a secondary cat/resonator, which our cars to do not. That lets the straight pipes on the Camaro sound great. Not sure what the BW would sound like wide open.......and resonators are much more vehicle specific than mufflers............so the options appear very limited.

This is really killing me. :(
Not a cheap option but there are fabrication shops out there that will hand make an exhaust for you.
American Made Performance Headers & Exhaust Systems is a shop I contacted in the past and have seen their products. Quality is second to none.
They are east coast but I'm sure with a little digging you will find one closer to you.
Again make sure your sitting down when you get a price, good luck

Circling back to this, does anyone have any clips or videos of what the headers and catted x-pipe sound like inside the vehicle?

This still seems to be the only thing available for an exhaust which saddens me because I'll easily be out 5k Canadian peso's to order it, ship it and get it installed.

Circling back to this, does anyone have any clips or videos of what the headers and catted x-pipe sound like inside the vehicle?

This still seems to be the only thing available for an exhaust which saddens me because I'll easily be out 5k Canadian peso's to order it, ship it and get it installed.

Last edited:
I have a longer one of me going through the gears under WOT I need to first get on YouTube then will post as well, here are just some driving around. Windows closed. Exhaust on loud mode.

Attachments

• IMG_3849.MOV
    55.4 MB
  • IMG_3846.MOV
    55.8 MB
  • IMG_3848.MOV
    31.6 MB
Bumping this up to see if there is any updated feedback of the catted headers. More specifically if a CEL popped up or not. Thanks

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back