Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Interior Materials question

Red04Cobra

Hey Everyone! I’ve had my Blackwing for about a month now and I’m absolutely loving the car. I’m getting ready to do some interior cleaning and detailing and was curious if anyone could help me determine what some of the inside materials are before I use the wrong products.

Specifically I’m curious if the dash and door panels are made of leather or imitation leather? I’ve searched and haven’t been able to find any pertinent information, so I was hoping this forum could help me out.

Thanks so much!

278B4117-47AC-400D-A595-A9D71D44B11A.jpeg

Just use a damp microfiber cloth to clean the leather. You do not need to use actual chemical products, you'll more then likely end up ruining it in the longterm if you do so.

The only time you would need detailing products for an interior is if you neglected it for years and smoked in it, left stains etc.

To simply keep it clean just use a damp microfiber cloth to clean up the dust or light dirt, nothing else is necessary.

I'm going to disagree a but here.

If you find hard plastics then I agree a wipe with a moist microfiber is just fine. But where you find leather, I've always fed it with conditioner after a proper cleaning (especially if you wear something like blue jeans that will leave dye behind over time.) Plenty of good products out there but I've settled on Lexol for nearly 20 years now. You van get it at most auto parts stores but the cheapest by volume will be a tack shop where Lexol is popular for treating saddles.

I'm going to disagree a but here.

If you find hard plastics then I agree a wipe with a moist microfiber is just fine. But where you find leather, I've always fed it with conditioner after a proper cleaning (especially if you wear something like blue jeans that will leave dye behind over time.) Plenty of good products out there but I've settled on Lexol for nearly 20 years now. You van get it at most auto parts stores but the cheapest by volume will be a tack shop where Lexol is popular for treating saddles.
Thx..I've used Lexol too. Great stuff. Also thx for the tip about buying at a tack shop!

Using a conditioner won't do anything. The leather or "pleather" is sealed from the factory. This keeps it looking new many many years down the road and makes maintenance like cleaning a breeze.

If you use conditioners you will end up removing this seal after a time and then the leather will become exposed and deteriorate.

There is absolutely no reason to use anything but a damp microfiber cloth to clean the interior unless you have visibly soiled the seats with something and even then a little soap will clean it right up.

Its your car but the days of needing leather conditioners are gone in a modern car.

If you are cleaning plastics, I would agree with a damp microfiber (I use distilled water in a spray bottle, works great on windows too). However as the car ages you'll want to treat the interior plastics to protect them from UV degradation. For that I use 303 Protectant, it is fantastic stuff and doesn't leave the dash greasy or shiny. You can use it on leather, too, because as you said the top coat of leather is just plastic.

Great, great stuff:

Does the manual say anything about how to clean the leather? (Sorry, I don't have my BW yet but I do have a thing for planning...)

Does the manual say anything about how to clean the leather? (Sorry, I don't have my BW yet but I do have a thing for planning...)
Since you are a planner, I would suggest downloading a manual and reading it beforehand, so you don't have to wait on the actual car. :)

Since you are a planner, I would suggest downloading a manual and reading it beforehand, so you don't have to wait on the actual car. :)
You have totally one-upped me in planning prowess :p

Manual states: "Use a soft microfiber cloth dampened with water to remove dust and loose dirt. For a more thorough cleaning, use a soft microfiber cloth dampened with a mild soap and water solution."
It also says not to use solvents on it.

I wasn’t suggesting parts of the seats weren’t leather, as they are. I thought the OP was talking about the dash and door panels.

RubberDuck, you are correct in that I was asking about the dash and door panels specifically. The seats I will use Lexol on to keep them pliable, preventing wrinkles.

Appreciate all the feedback!

I have the aniline leather seats on mine, with CF backs. Does anyone on here know if they are all leather, or just the seating surfaces? Also, are the door armrests leather as well (if the full aniline seats are chosen?), also the center console cover (just behind the shifter)?

Lastly - my sticker says full microsueded wrapped trim surfaces - does this mean the wheel and shift knob too? Thanks!

I have the aniline leather seats on mine, with CF backs. Does anyone on here know if they are all leather, or just the seating surfaces? Also, are the door armrests leather as well (if the full aniline seats are chosen?), also the center console cover (just behind the shifter)?

Lastly - my sticker says full microsueded wrapped trim surfaces - does this mean the wheel and shift knob too? Thanks!
I've spent more time looking at the interior options than I care to admit, so I'll tell you what I've discovered. Keep in mind, it's almost impossible to be sure unless you get the chance to see all three interior trim packages in person, and I've seen zero in person so this is only via research from cadillac, other owners, and dealers.

There are five distinct pieces to the interior as far as I've been able to discover:
L1: * Base Seats (unknown "leather" material and quality)
L2: * Upgraded Seats with suede back (quilted leather, but not semi-aniline)
L3: * Upgraded Seats with carbon back (semi-aniline seating surfaces with the remaining leather being the same from L2)
* Fake suede wrapped interior trim which comes automatically with L2 & L3
* Fake suede wrapped steering wheel & shift knob which is a separate option

In all cases, the arm rests and center console are "leather", but I have not been able to figure out if they are real or fake, and they certainly aren't aniline.

If anyone has better information or corrections, please jump in.

I've spent more time looking at the interior options than I care to admit, so I'll tell you what I've discovered. Keep in mind, it's almost impossible to be sure unless you get the chance to see all three interior trim packages in person, and I've seen zero in person so this is only via research from cadillac, other owners, and dealers.

There are five distinct pieces to the interior as far as I've been able to discover:
L3: * Upgraded Seats with carbon back (semi-aniline seating surfaces with the remaining leather being the same from L2)

In all cases, the arm rests and center console are "leather", but I have not been able to figure out if they are real or fake, and they certainly aren't aniline.

wow, great info - thanks @Big Mac!

There is a $300 Alcantara steering wheel/shift knob option separate from the microsuede trim.
thanks @rubberduck - that clarifies. I was wondering if I was supposed to get the Alcantara as part of the microsueded trim. Now I understand it was a separate option (that's what I recalled from when I was configuring the vehicle, but wasn't sure).

The base seats are "Inteluxe", which is "Leatherette". Not leather, made from vinyl. Easier to keep clean and more scratch resistant than leather but tend to get hotter in the sun. I have them in my 4BW and Tesla Model 3. They are pretty comfortable, actually quite a bit softer than the leather seats in the 4BW but if prefer like genuine leather then you have to spring for the $5,500 package.

thanks @rubberduck - that clarifies. I was wondering if I was supposed to get the Alcantara as part of the microsueded trim. Now I understand it was a separate option (that's what I recalled from when I was configuring the vehicle, but wasn't sure).

The Alcantara sure does feel nice at first but the way it gets matted down from the oils on your hands is annoying. I can deal with it on the door inserts or headliner where you don't really touch it but when it is on the steering wheel and shifter it requires quite a bit of upkeep to keep it looking nice. I was happy to get back to leather after trading my ZL1.

The base seats are "Inteluxe", which is "Leatherette". Not leather, made from vinyl. Easier to keep clean and more scratch resistant than leather but tend to get hotter in the sun. I have them in my 4BW and Tesla Model 3. They are pretty comfortable, actually quite a bit softer than the leather seats in the 4BW but if prefer like genuine leather then you have to spring for the $5,500 package.

Thanks man, I appreciate the additional knowledge!

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back