Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

I am not sure I love my 5BW

You guys should see how useless 6th is in a 350GT. 6th gear in the BW feels fine to me. And 7th gear in my 911? Utterly useless.

Isn't the point of 6th to be a comfort/cruise gear? The lower RPM reduces NVH and maybe has a marginal affect on MPG. On what track in North America is 6th gear needed in this car? Seems totally appropriate to me, this isn't a dedicated track car, its a do everything car. Minor compromises abound but the net sum is still stellar.

Isn't the point of 6th to be a comfort/cruise gear? The lower RPM reduces NVH and maybe has a marginal affect on MPG. On what track in North America is 6th gear needed in this car? Seems totally appropriate to me, this isn't a dedicated track car, its a do everything car. Minor compromises abound but the net sum is still stellar.
Yep.

5BW
Screenshot 2023-08-24 at 5.19.30 PM.png

4BW
Screenshot 2023-08-24 at 5.20.53 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-24 at 5.21.36 PM.png

I haven't seen that Tremec chart. I guess we have model 'F' in the CT5. ZL1 1LE has 'E'. I'd like to try model 'C'. Shorter lower gears and not near as much overdrive in high. That would probably be ideal.

I haven't seen that Tremec chart. I guess we have model 'F' in the CT5. ZL1 1LE has 'E'. I'd like to try model 'C'. Shorter lower gears and not near as much overdrive in high. That would probably be ideal.
That would be my preference as well but the LT4 has too much torque, which is why the C7 Z06, ZL1 and 5BW all get the taller M6 gearing.

With less torque Tremec would offer more options depending on the use case. For example, the more track focused C7 Z51 and Grand Sport would get even shorter gearing, ideal for autocross work. The Camaro SS is the same as the 4BW, which feels pretty good on the street.

Screenshot 2023-08-24 at 9.28.32 PM.png

I have loved the 6 speed trans in my 5 BW (reminds me a lot of my C6Z06) after coming out of my '19 Z06 with the 7 speed! It utterly pissed me off every time I had to mess with putting it in/out of the 7th gear and was the sole reason I didn't mind letting it go to get the BW! If the manual BW had that trans, then I would have been hard pressed to pull the trigger on it! That said, I love almost everything about the car (pretty easy to overlook the faults) and even though I flip cars/bikes way too much, I'll be holding onto it for quite a while.

I've owned hellcat redeye challenger, charger hellcat, '20 gt500 & '21 gt500 cftp. The Blackwing doesn't feel faster than any of those. It does have less HP/TQ so that is expected. It outhandles the Hellcats by a mile and is on par with the regular GT500. It can't touch the CFTP GT500 though. The manual tranny does add a really fun driving element. The other thing I've noticed about the blackwing is that it is very reserved. After all, it is a cadillac! It's not as raw as the challenger/charger and not as race/sport feeling as the GT500. Again, it is still a cadillac! I'm not sure if you were expecting a 4 door 911 Turbo?

I've owned hellcat redeye challenger, charger hellcat, '20 gt500 & '21 gt500 cftp. The Blackwing doesn't feel faster than any of those. It does have less HP/TQ so that is expected. It outhandles the Hellcats by a mile and is on par with the regular GT500. It can't touch the CFTP GT500 though. The manual tranny does add a really fun driving element. The other thing I've noticed about the blackwing is that it is very reserved. After all, it is a cadillac! It's not as raw as the challenger/charger and not as race/sport feeling as the GT500. Again, it is still a cadillac! I'm not sure if you were expecting a 4 door 911 Turbo?
Yep, if you want something faster or more raw and visceral, there are plenty of other options. The 5BW is about checking the most boxes, leaving few compromises for its owners.

Let me clarify something. If you are in PTM Race 1 or Race 2 there is nothing that will stop you from spinning the car. PTM will try to limit wheel spin to maximize acceleration out of a corner, but there is no yaw control. Go in to a corner too fast while braking - you spin. Hop off the throttle mid corner while near the limit - you spin. Please don’t believe you have a safety net in those modes.

PTM Sport is the least restrictive mode that still has stability control and it works very well.

I think part of the issue is that the CT5 V Blackwing is the most powerful and fastest production manual sedan the world has ever seen and may ever see again (unless they stuff the bigger blower LT4 or LT5 in there).

With a superlative like that it has attracted clientelle and expectations that it will be a raw beast of a supercar with 4 doors, however in reality it is very much a subtle and refined machine.

I personally like that nature a lot because I use it as a daily driver and have been hauling my young daughter around in it since the day she was born.

If you want something incredibly raw then this isn't it. But that's the issue, no manufacturer makes another manual transmission sedan in the same class as this. Chevy doesnt make a 1LE version of this with a super loud exhaust and super stiff suspension, Porsche doesn't make a manual GT# version of the Panamera, BMW doesnt have a manual in the M5 CS, and no top dog AMG comes with a manual. The CT5 V Blackwing carries all of the expectations, hopes, and dreams of all potential customers for a 600+ HP manual sedan because it stands absolutely alone in the market. It just can't be all things to all these people, especially as it is not a 200k+ vehicle.

Last edited:
ill agree with the PTM. i wish race 1 and 2 allowed for some more excitement. even in race 2 if you get much yaw it kills it.

ill agree with the PTM. i wish race 1 and 2 allowed for some more excitement. even in race 2 if you get much yaw it kills it.
Have you tried competitive mode. I have not, but it’s supposed to kill everything. On my Jeep I installed a mechanical kill switch for the accelerometer that wipes out all the nannies. That may be the way to go on the BW.

Have you tried competitive mode. I have not, but it’s supposed to kill everything. On my Jeep I installed a mechanical kill switch for the accelerometer that wipes out all the nannies. That may be the way to go on the BW.
i just got to v mode...click the tc button once to set it back to normal mode....then hold it down for awhle and turn off traction and stability

i just got to v mode...click the tc button once to set it back to normal mode....then hold it down for awhle and turn off traction and stability
I thought everyone did that?

As for the OP, the traction control is definitely not "fucking stupid" since you should be able to find whichever mode works best for you. And since it sounds like you're already going to a brothel, you better be prepared to do ratchet shit. If that means no safety nozzle/condom, so be it.

An actual critique for this high horsepower RWD lil pig of a car, is that it does require near perfect conditions to engage in ratchet behavior comfortably. Ideally, you're already 4-5k into your set of rear tires and have some nice smooth asphalt/concrete near by to whip about on. Otherwise a fresh set of tires is going to require a higher RPM clutch dump and you better be prepared for those stickies to catch at some point mid drift. If its slip angle you need, go buy a C63 and call it a day.

I thought everyone did that?

As for the OP, the traction control is definitely not "fucking stupid" since you should be able to find whichever mode works best for you. And since it sounds like you're already going to a brothel, you better be prepared to do ratchet shit. If that means no safety nozzle/condom, so be it.

An actual critique for this high horsepower RWD lil pig of a car, is that it does require near perfect conditions to engage in ratchet behavior comfortably. Ideally, you're already 4-5k into your set of rear tires and have some nice smooth asphalt/concrete near by to whip about on. Otherwise a fresh set of tires is going to require a higher RPM clutch dump and you better be prepared for those stickies to catch at some point mid drift. If its slip angle you need, go buy a C63 and call it a day.
Is the c63 awd?

An actual critique for this high horsepower RWD lil pig of a car

I not sure we can really say Blackwing is heavy or "a lil pig of a car" when everything else in the class is within 50lbs. There's a huge difference between being a 275lbs 5'4 couch blob and a 275lbs 6'4 NFL Defensive End and a 275lb 5'7 power lifter.

In a day where safety regulations dictate door cross braces, evap systems, no less than four airbags, and in a luxury car power everything I don't know that BW is fat, it's just big and powerful. I can't think of anything short of a supra significantly lighter. A Darkhorse Mustang tips the scales at 3,913lbs with a manual. 5BW is just 200lbs more with 2 whole more doors, acoustic glass, ect... 4BW is a 100lbs lighter.

I agree. You really can’t make street legal lightweight cars today and include all the tech and comfort features along with the required safety ones too. For those in here that are youngish, you weren’t around in the days of non airbag, non cross brace and non safety glass. It was carnage back before..in drivers Ed we had to watch films, yes films, that showed the aftermath of crashes….it was gory and bloody.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back