Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

How much oil to add when it’s on the bottom mark of the dipstick for the 4 BW?

DCV

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 Ct4 V Balckwing
So I checked my oil level on the 4BW and it’s right on the bottom mark. I want to add some to get it to the middle mark on the dipstick. So is that about 1/2 a quart or so? I know on some cars it’s a whole quart when it’s on the bottom to full, others it’s about half. Note yes it was checked when car was on a flat surface and I let it sit 10 minutes after I turned it off to check it. It was mid 40’s in DC area today so it cools off fast.

Why is your oil low? I am not using any oil at all, even after 2,000 miles after the last oil change. Perhaps you are tracking the car or running the car more aggressively. Nothing wrong with either situation, just different driving styles.

It was about on the half mark when I got it. Yes I was up to 135 today on the highway and fun on backroads too. I don’t baby it. No tracking yet though. I get it out once a week for highway and backroad fun. It’s at 6500 miles 2023 model thst went in service in December 2022.

To rely on what I consider more accurate oil level is to check it cold in the morning.

Make sure you check it after the engine has been off for at least an hour, so that all of the oil is at the bottom. Also on flat ground.

So I checked my oil level on the 4BW and it’s right on the bottom mark. I want to add some to get it to the middle mark on the dipstick. So is that about 1/2 a quart or so? I know on some cars it’s a whole quart when it’s on the bottom to full, others it’s about half. Note yes it was checked when car was on a flat surface and I let it sit 10 minutes after I turned it off to check it. It was mid 40’s in DC area today so it cools off fast.

In my experience, to go from the bottom of the stick to full is about a qt. so I would say 1/2qt should do it but I would go slowly and then check in the morning.

Last edited:
I’m legit curious as well. I only read it once and need to reread it, but I thought the explanation in the owners manual was fairly confusing.

I’ve been fortunate though. Did the break in oil and diff change around 500 miles and at 7k it’s only halfway down the first square on the dipstick.

My garage has a slight decline towards the front, so if I check it parking there it is (the dipstick reading) skewed a bit.

When
I’m legit curious as well. I only read it once and need to reread it, but I thought the explanation in the owners manual was fairly confusing.

I’ve been fortunate though. Did the break in oil and diff change around 500 miles and at 7k it’s only halfway down the first square on the dipstick.
When I change my own oil, what I notice is at around 6qts the oil starts showing up on the dipstick, the 7th qt takes it right up to the top hatch mark.

Last edited:
I'm shocked and embarrassed to ask this question - but can someone help me interpret the dipstick and the owner's manual? The manual says the oil is too low or high if it is "below" or "above" the cross hatched area. but what about if the oil level is within the cross hatched area? I would be less neurotic if I filled the oil myself and thus knew how much oil I put in but the car is new with 400 miles and on factory fill. My oil level is where the blue line on my image is... pretty much right in the middle of the upper cross hatch area. the yellow highlight is the "non-cross-hatched area" and the red lines indicate the cross hatched areas. From the owners manual --- the oil is not "above the cross-hatched area" so I think I am good, but it's weird to have a cross hatched area and a non-cross hatched area unless the reason is that if the oil is in the cross hatched area is "bad" and the non-cross-hatched area is "good".

Am I an idiot?

Attachments

• dip.PNG
    dip.PNG
    64.2 KB · Views: 24
  • high.PNG
    high.PNG
    47.1 KB · Views: 24
  • low.PNG
    low.PNG
    59.6 KB · Views: 24
The way I interpret the cross hatch aeras is that they are your upper and lower "limits" of oil. As in if your oil falls in either cross hatch area, (high or low) that it is OK but on the verge/limit of being too high or too low. And the non-hatch areas are (normal). So, oil is allowed to be 6.5 to 7 liters lets say (don't know if this is accurate just an example). The lower cross hatch would represent 6.5, the upper cross hatch would represent 7. Above the top cross hatch would be 7.1, below the lower cross hatch would be 6.4.

Intuitively that seems to make logical sense. It's just a bit ridiculous that a dip stick really needs "interpretation"! your reply makes me feel a bit better for now. Once I do my first oil change in a little bit, I'll be more confident knowing the amount of oil I put in. I am not super worried as I don't think the factory would overfill.... but if it was the dealer, I'd be draining and refilling that sucker tonight.

I'm shocked and embarrassed to ask this question - but can someone help me interpret the dipstick and the owner's manual? The manual says the oil is too low or high if it is "below" or "above" the cross hatched area. but what about if the oil level is within the cross hatched area? I would be less neurotic if I filled the oil myself and thus knew how much oil I put in but the car is new with 400 miles and on factory fill. My oil level is where the blue line on my image is... pretty much right in the middle of the upper cross hatch area. the yellow highlight is the "non-cross-hatched area" and the red lines indicate the cross hatched areas. From the owners manual --- the oil is not "above the cross-hatched area" so I think I am good, but it's weird to have a cross hatched area and a non-cross hatched area unless the reason is that if the oil is in the cross hatched area is "bad" and the non-cross-hatched area is "good".

Am I an idiot?

Don't be, lol. I feel the same way. There's the less-than-clear markings, then there's the fact that my oil level is always managing to be some squiggly S-shape with a little blob somewhere confusing for good measure. I've always just checked after an hour or two of warm and hoping for the best as long as it's somewhere between the middle and top of measured areas. It's never been an issue but I hear ya.

The way I interpret the cross hatch aeras is that they are your upper and lower "limits" of oil. As in if your oil falls in either cross hatch area, (high or low) that it is OK but on the verge/limit of being too high or too low. And the non-hatch areas are (normal). So, oil is allowed to be 6.5 to 7 liters lets say (don't know if this is accurate just an example). The lower cross hatch would represent 6.5, the upper cross hatch would represent 7. Above the top cross hatch would be 7.1, below the lower cross hatch would be 6.4.

I like this interpretation... I think i'll use it going fwd for the BW.

Yea, it's also incredibly hard to read in general. I stick it in until it's about 1/2" from all the way in to confirm that the fill level I thought I was seeing, moved 1/2" down the dipstick as a confirmation.
Absolutely love the car. Been doing all my own maintenance for years coming from the BMW world, and much more complicated maintenance than oil changes lol, so I guess we are off to a bit of a bad start with the BW, but no problem!

Now you're going to make all the neurotic people on this forum go check their oil level. I'll be right back... ;)

The hatched area has been there for like forever on dipsticks. It is generally an indication of the last quart to full (full being the top of the hatch area). Anything in the hatch area was considered "safe" and anything below meant add oil. To get an accurate reading, check oil with engine cold before the first start of the day.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back