Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

How much fun on the street vs Porsche, Alfa...?

I appreciate agree your thoughts and they apply. I drive the Macan GTS and, when my knee allows , the manual Cayman 4.0 GTS. Basically will sell the PTS Cayman when I no longer want a manual. Being retired I probably drive a total of 15-17k miles per year. and with the knee fewer are on the manual than before.

This car would be an interim automatic transmission toy, in sedan configuration, to play with to replace the 911 that sank. Rather than do another Porsche, I decided if I have to wait 14 months for a car I preferred to try something new and am waiting for a Lotus Emira. (I didn't buy a Lotus before because Charlotte didn't have a dealership but does now) Maybe in auto form it will replace the Cayman. But you know how it is when you are late to the reservation list and at 62 I do not wish to wait 18 months without a auto transmission toy.

So admittedly I do not "need" a car. My wife and adult daughter would ride in the V5 but not the 4, neither really like the Cayman. I love American muscle cars but have never owned one so I think V5 would be adding a different experience but I did not want to waste the $ if it wouldn't be enough fun on the street.
Amazing how's many Lotus guys are here. I am basically in the same boat. I am waiting for Emira to mature a bit. I'm the meantime I am getting a car with a manual that I can pick up my 2 year old from daycare if needed. Since this is a 3rd car for me, I decided to try to get something completely different than what I have had with an American V8. The 4BW is just too similar to other stuff I have, but I can totally see it's appeal.

Damn, I just paid 6.49 a gallon this morning.
I feel for all of you in CA. Elections have consequences and until CA stops being a one-party state, it's not going to improve, TBH (just my opinion of course). Plus, the escalating climate hysteria globally isn't helping. It's surreal: We are sitting on the world's largest oil reserves which we can safely and cleanly extract and use - and we are deliberately hamstringing ourselves. Go figure.

I could write a damn story about how awesome Costco gas is, and I'm not just talking about the price. Had to do a deep dive since I wasn't going to pump crap gas into my cars.
I'd love to hear the highlights of your findings as to why it's better (seriously). I think many on here would also agree. I just thought 'gas is gas...'

I'd love to hear the highlights of your findings as to why it's better (seriously). I think many on here would also agree. I just thought 'gas is gas...'
In case you missed it:

To add a little backstory to it: I never considered Costco gas a few years ago because at that time, they did not have top tier gas, which they now call Kirkland Signature gas. However they were slowly changing the stations over to it, and now I believe all of their gas stations only carry Kirkland signature. That's when I started my research and if their gas competes with the best of them.

Nowadays with direct injection engines, it's more important than ever to use Top Tier gas. You don't have the cleaning effect of port injected gas being able to reach and coat every part in the combustion chamber before the air/fuel mixture is ignited. Direct injection engines have an issue where your fuel injectors inject fuel, and it's ignited immediately. There's not much time, if any, for fuel to clean the injectors themselves, or the spark plugs.

And if you use gas that isn't top tier? You compound that problem and lose efficiency in the long term.

This is why some manufacturers like Toyota and Ford coming out with dual-injection systems to combat this problem to get the cleaning effect of port injection, and the efficiency of direct injection.

Many manufacturers also recommend top tier gas(which like someone else said, is just a marketing terms that means extra detergents added above what the epa requires).

Last edited:
I feel for all of you in CA. Elections have consequences and until CA stops being a one-party state, it's not going to improve, TBH (just my opinion of course). Plus, the escalating climate hysteria globally isn't helping. It's surreal: We are sitting on the world's largest oil reserves which we can safely and cleanly extract and use - and we are deliberately hamstringing ourselves. Go figure.
I agree with you on that. California is so screwed up it's pathetic. I wished I could move my company to Texas but the cost to move and train new people just isn't in the cards for me now, so I'm stuck here.

Costco vodka is really good. Gas getting good ratings doesn't surprise me. Admittedly, their beer isn't horrible. Even their golfballs are decent. I'm not giving up a Chrome Soft X for one but, they aren't a Top Flight.

In case you missed it:

To add a little backstory to it: I never considered Costco gas a few years ago because at that time, they did not have top tier gas, which they now call Kirkland Signature gas. However they were slowly changing the stations over to it, and now I believe all of their gas stations only carry Kirkland signature. That's when I started my research and if their gas competes with the best of them.

Nowadays with direct injection engines, it's more important than ever to use Top Tier gas. You don't have the cleaning effect of port injected gas being able to reach and coat every part in the combustion chamber before the air/fuel mixture is ignited. Direct injection engines have an issue where your fuel injectors inject fuel, and it's ignited immediately. There's not much time, if any, for fuel to clean the injectors themselves, or the spark plugs.

And if you use gas that isn't top tier? You compound that problem and lose efficiency in the long term.

This is why some manufacturers like Toyota and Ford coming out with dual-injection systems to combat this problem to get the cleaning effect of port injection, and the efficiency of direct injection.

Many manufacturers also recommend top tier gas(which like someone else said, is just a marketing terms that means extra detergents added above what the epa requires).
Thanks, that was educational!

Update:

Since folks were kind enough to share their views, here is the outcome. I was able to sit in and drive the regular CT-4 and CT-5 and for my purposes, small, tossable, most fun on the street, the 4BW seems better fit. Lost out on several over the last few days but then my first choice came back on the market so I am purchasing today. It is a fully loaded car (with CF which I would not have ordered value wise) with 300 miles, 10% over sticker. Market is what it is. On a relative fun per dollar basis this should be a good value.

Update:

Since folks were kind enough to share their views, here is the outcome. I was able to sit in and drive the regular CT-4 and CT-5 and for my purposes, small, tossable, most fun on the street, the 4BW seems better fit. Lost out on several over the last few days but then my first choice came back on the market so I am purchasing today. It is a fully loaded car (with CF which I would not have ordered value wise) with 300 miles, 10% over sticker. Market is what it is. On a relative fun per dollar basis this should be a good value.
I mean, we all pay to play. Either with our time, money, or in most situations...some combination of both. :) Enjoy and post pics!!

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back