Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Has anyone “fixed” the ugly plastic piece below the infotainment screen?

Still working on getting these really smooth and polished in my free time but here are some panels mocked up, just the triangle trim pieces, just the center bar, and both. Both might be too much carbon and look a bit tacky but I think either separate is a good improvement

Attachments

• IMG20230225151508.jpg
    IMG20230225151508.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 267
  • IMG20230225151239.jpg
    IMG20230225151239.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 270
  • IMG20230225151113.jpg
    IMG20230225151113.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 267
Needs clear coat still but mocked up and looks pretty good. This was the first panel so it's a bit rough. I ended up redoing the ct5 panel as it had some issues that I wasn't pleased with. Using a 2k catalyzed clear coat so im unfortunately waiting until all pieces are fully done to spray it all in one go. Not sure if I'm going to do any more of these pieces but could do more of the smaller trim pieces on either side of the screen. The amount of time and effort going into this would require stupid high prices to justify it

Attachments

• IMG20230226210538.jpg
    IMG20230226210538.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 131
Needs clear coat still but mocked up and looks pretty good. This was the first panel so it's a bit rough. I ended up redoing the ct5 panel as it had some issues that I wasn't pleased with. Using a 2k catalyzed clear coat so im unfortunately waiting until all pieces are fully done to spray it all in one go. Not sure if I'm going to do any more of these pieces but could do more of the smaller trim pieces on either side of the screen. The amount of time and effort going into this would require stupid high prices to justify it
I’d probably pay it too. I think it’s a detail I wish they’d followed through on. Awesome work

man thats some serious talent... helluva job

That looks awesome… what does “stupid high” pricing look like 😅

That looks awesome… what does “stupid high” pricing look like 😅
I need to really calculate out what I spent on this and what it would take to make these now that I know what I'm doing and how much material/time goes into it. I'm afraid to total up all the little things I bought for it along the way haha

@jonnywaffles11 as someone who has zero experience with carbon fiber skinning, how hard is it to get a good end product? I ordered my car with the black mirror covers and have been thinking about carbon skinning my stock mirror covers.

@jonnywaffles11 as someone who has zero experience with carbon fiber skinning, how hard is it to get a good end product? I ordered my car with the black mirror covers and have been thinking about carbon skinning my stock mirror covers.
dead simple, the less experience the better! I've been at this for a month just for shits, giggles, and internet points!

joking aside, its not too bad. However, the smaller and curvier the part, the more of a pain it will be and more likely to get messed up. for the mirrors, they'd be ok since they are larger and flat paneled but you also are going to be ~$80 in materials to do this plus the cost of your time and the donor parts. brand new mirror panels already done in carbon are on eBay for ~$110 (mostly shipped direct from China so about 2weeks lead time). I'd suggest just going down that route unless you truly want to do it to learn and get the experience of constantly being itchy and sticky from a combo of carbon strands and resin. For the dash pieces that I'm doing, they have small curves and lips that has made it a royal PITA to do. I also started over on one panel halfway through and needed to get more resin than originally assumed.

time is also a fun one, if you are doing it to your own covers, expect them to be off your car for at least a week and half, resins (depending on if you read the faqs before buying) can cure as fast as 12hours or (in my last case....) up to 72hrs. you'll need multiple coats, plus sanding to smooth things and then a final clear coat. good 2k clear is also expensive (I use spraymax 2k which is catalyzed and gives an awesome gun like finish in terms of gloss and durability) but a can is one time use and costs $25-30 ea. so again.... go on ebay and save your sanity.

Not gonna lie, if this came out great, I'd pay HUNDREDS for one lol. That's how much the stock one bothers me.

Finally done and installed! I chose not to install the triangle trim pieces as I felt it was too much carbon.... Which means THEY'RE FOR SALE!! I have 2 sets of the triangles and looking for $125 for each pair. Not sure if I'm going to make more of the main bezel piece but I have my stock one to play around with. If I decide to do more, I will be requiring core samples as the only way I can get these is to buy an entire screen at a cost of $250+ off eBay.
IMG20230306211013.jpg
IMG20230306211444.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20230306210925.jpg
    IMG20230306210925.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 166
  • IMG20230306202552.jpg
    IMG20230306202552.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 159
  • IMG20230306202659.jpg
    IMG20230306202659.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 177
Finally done and installed! I chose not to install the triangle trim pieces as I felt it was too much carbon.... Which means THEY'RE FOR SALE!! I have 2 sets of the triangles and looking for $125 for each pair. Not sure if I'm going to make more of the main bezel piece but I have my stock one to play around with. If I decide to do more, I will be requiring core samples as the only way I can get these is to buy an entire screen at a cost of $250+ off eBay.
That is amazing! Should have been done that way from the factory. I agree it's better without the side pieces.

Finally done and installed! I chose not to install the triangle trim pieces as I felt it was too much carbon.... Which means THEY'RE FOR SALE!! I have 2 sets of the triangles and looking for $125 for each pair. Not sure if I'm going to make more of the main bezel piece but I have my stock one to play around with. If I decide to do more, I will be requiring core samples as the only way I can get these is to buy an entire screen at a cost of $250+ off eBay. View attachment 17465View attachment 17466
This really looks good...so much better than stock. Nice work Mr. Waffles.

Smooth? What's up with these high standards all of a sudden. I'm engineering in some speed dimples and waves... Take it or leave it
That looks great. You’re a master!
If you want to make another one for a 4VBW I’ll buy it. Mine only has the home button. And I hate looking at that trim piece everyday. Pet peeve

That looks great. You’re a master!
If you want to make another one for a 4VBW I’ll buy it. Mine only has the home button. And I hate looking at that trim piece everyday. Pet peeve
So I'd need a core for the ones with an A10. I bought used displays off eBay to get these pieces as they don't sell separately unfortunately. I have a 4 and a 5 manual in the works. The screens were about $250 ea when I bought them, if you could find a trim panel and send it to me I could do it though

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back